blew my motor, pics included

Got questions? We got answers....
chadmasterc

blew my motor, pics included

Post by chadmasterc »

:sad: , a few months ago my bike broke down on the trail, at first I thought it was a fouled plug but then noticed it didnt have the compression it should when kicking it over.

Well tonight I took the engine out of the bike and disassembled the top end. I am guessing the stock piston failed. After I broke the bike I read up on how bad the stock piston was( really wish I would have read that before hand).

chadmasterc

Post by chadmasterc »

The only good thing that I can say about this is it doesnt look like I cracked the cases. I guess I will have to break em open and see though.

Do you think this is worth rebuilding? Or should I start looking for a new engine?
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Bad news :?

Do you know the maintenance history of this bike?

Is it a 2006?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
chadmasterc

Post by chadmasterc »

I bought this bike this summer. The kid I bought it from didn't really do much upkeep to it but it was in pretty good condition(he didnt ride it much).

I was planning on doing a top end on it over the winter. I was actually on the last ride of the season when this happened. The bike started up first kick everytime so I figured It was fine.

Not sure of the year of the bike(ill check it out tommorow) but I believe its a 2002.

If I do end up rebuilding this I will have to replace the connecting rod bearings/connecting rod.

Is the crankshaft/connecting rod a one piece unit? I know it was on my blaster and had to replace the whole thing when I bent the crank.

Where can a new crank or connecting be purchased?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Is this a 220? It's a shame, but the 220 OEM pistons have been known to fail. and it looks like a broken skirt which is the common mode of failure as I understand it.

Whatever the case - past the obvious of the top end work/replacement that needs to happen - at a minimum I'd have the bottom end apart to check for damage and clean things up.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Check ebay, sometime bottom end pop up for a decent price (i.e way cheaper than a rebuild). i would crack open and inspect 1st.
good luck
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Sorry man, looks and sounds like a classic 220 piston failure that Kawy thinks is fine by them. If it is a 200, then bad things happen to good people.

Definitley get the bottom end inspected, I would suggest Eric Gorr, or better yet see if Ron Black will look it over for you (check the links). Looks like your cylinder is blasted. Ron or eric could tell you if its worth salvaging. If not, and you are a young guy wanting rev, consider going to the 200 barrel, they have better porting for high end HP, maybe you can find one cheap on ebay. if you go with Ron, definitly get him to do your carb and head at the same time, you won't recognize the bike after. No 220 should be without Ron's mods.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
plb

Post by plb »

ALWAYS PUT A WISECO PISTON.
NEVER RIDE A STOCK PISTON ON 220.

I'm a lucky guy.... I change the piston just before he must break in pieces!!! Check my own stock piston cracked...

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

All that junk about KDX220 pistons being grenades is an internet fable!! Something made up on some goofy forum site.

I know that's true...'cuz I read about it on the internet.

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

NEVER RIDE A KDX220 WITH A STOCK PISTON...

For me, is exactly like to say...

NEVER RIDE A KDX220

Because in both cases, maybe a motor damage or a mortal accident can happen.

For sure, if you want to minimize future known problems it is a good idea to replace the stock piston with a Wiseco.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
plb

Post by plb »

All that junk about KDX220 pistons being grenades is an internet fable!!
NO!!!

Check the pictures of one of my Quebec friends Jeremy757. These pictures is from is BRAND NEW KDX220r after 600km.

Piston:

Cylinder:

Cranckase:

Kawasaki Canada paid for all (2000$) on the warranty... but Jeremy lost is bike during one month and the summer here is very short...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

plb, canyncarvr was only using sarcasm :wink: ...
Some neat pics you got there though
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's quite the grenade job! Buy a used 220 cyl, or a 200 cyl & head. Your head can be salvaged, but they can also be found cheap. DEFINITELY go though the bottom end. Junk in there for sure, but hopefully you don't need a crank rebuild.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Mr. Chad,

'Noticed this bottom end on ebay. It states that it's got new crankbearings and seals. This could help get the bike back together quickly (along with whatever happens with the top end), then tear your current bottom end down at your leisure, get it up to snuff if it's possible, and sell IT on ebay to recoup the cost.

CLICK HERE
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
chadmasterc

Post by chadmasterc »

thanks for the link, I might end up bidding on it.