indentify this silencer

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXPhoneDude

indentify this silencer

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

can anyone identify this? i need to know:

1) is it a spark arrestor?
2)how do you get it apart to repack.

this came on my bike when i bought it last spring and i know nothing about it.
thanks a lot for your all's input

bare with me as i try to post a picture.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Gotta have your pics uploaded on to another site on the web, like the Gallery here on this site or at Photobucket, Smugmug, etc....
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

If it is a spark arrestor it will have a U.S.F.S. stamp on the side.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I just PM'd you with my e-mail. Send me the pic and I can post it for you until you figure out how to set up a gallery.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Here is a pic of his silencer:

Usually the silencer aluminum 'can' pulls away from the stinger tube coming into it. It looks like one of the allen head bolts is missing near the stinger. Are they missing all the way around. If not remove them and try to pull it apart. I think some of theold ones have rivets. If it won't pull apart get someone to tug on the other end while you pull or try tapping it with a rubber hammer.

KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

i took all of the bolts out of it when i tried to get it apart. then i just bolted it back to the bike so my 2-year old wouldn't loose any parts for me.

there is no stamping of any kind on the thing so i guess it's not usfs approved. heck, it don't even say FMF except for the sticker.

thanks jc7622 for posting the pick. i'll try some more tonight to get it apart.
gotta use that $20 packing i got at the local Kaw shop. :grin:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just to give you an idea on how to get it apart

I've got this cool vice grip tool that has a chain on it, you can wrap it around a pipe and get ahold of it pretty tight

The first time I took my pipe apart I needed it but now it comes apart pretty easily

Once I get the tool secured on the pipe I can then hit the tool with a rubber mallet, to force the end cap off

Also since I use high temp silicone when I put my silencer back together I heat up the joining surfaces with a torch before attemting to take it apart
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I imagine yours is just a silencer

Here's what my spark arrestor looks like apart and cleaned up

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Looking at your pic

If you put the mounting tab that is on the silencer in a vice you should be able to tap the other mounting tab (on the pipe) with a rubber mallet to get it loosened up and apart
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

thanks Mr Wibbens. I'll try that when I get home tonight and let you all know.
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

From Mr Wibbens:

Looking at your pic

If you put the mounting tab that is on the silencer in a vice you should be able to tap the other mounting tab (on the pipe) with a rubber mallet to get it loosened up and apart

this worked!! :grin:
piece of cake. boy was it nasty.
now, how do i clean it?
the holes in the small pipe inside are mostly clogged. should i soak it in keresene or something? and the can needs cleaned out inside and a srewdriver wasn't cut'n it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wire brush and a propane torch....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Carb cleaner will cut through the spooge pretty good

But a propane or mapp gas torch will work much faster and with less elbow grease

I prefer mapp gas, it gets a lot hotter and faster

Get the perforated stinger glowing red hot and let it sit, it'll burn and smoke for a half hour if its really bad. Sometimes I do this a couple times

Then I hit it with the garden hose to cool it off so I can handle it, then use a wire brush but usually thats not required if I get all burned off good enough
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

thanks guys. i'll try that tonight.
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

i got the silencer all cleaned up,packed and re-installed.
thanks guys for all your help. :supz: