Hello just got a 91 KDX 250 need some info

Got questions? We got answers....
toyofixer

Hello just got a 91 KDX 250 need some info

Post by toyofixer »

Hello great fourm here so much information avail I am now scared to do what I thought would be a simple ordeal. When I bought the bike I noticed one of the fork seals was leaking. I have searched this and other fourms and I am still unsure how much fork oil to add or how to measure it. I have read to use the specs from the manual but I dont have the manual. I have aslo read it depends on you riding style or what you want the forks to do. This wont work for me as I am not a seasoned MX rider and I am pretty sure I couldnt tell if they working corectly or not. How ever I am pretty sure oil is not supposed to shoot out of them. I have replaced the seal on the leaking on allready. I havent taken the other one apart yet could I measure the amount drained fro the one that wasnt leaking and use that as the fill amount? Or is there a better way. Also I am going to use redline 2 stroke oil and I was told to mix it at 50 to 1 does this sound correct? and one last thing I read here you can use a kx500 seat cover for this bike is this true? If so what year kx 500 cover should I get. Thanks
1991 KDX 250
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

For forks you measure from the top of the tube when its all the way down to the oil surface using a ruler. Sorry I have a 2001 KDX 200 so I can't tell you the spec height. I've never heard of Redline oil and I wouldn't use it in your bike. Why? KDX's power valves get gunked up easier then most bikes so unfortunatly you need to use good oil like Amsoil (which I run 50:1) or Maxima. Other brands are good too (can't think of 'em :roll:) but make sure it's synthetic. Hope this helps and welcome to the site!
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
toyofixer

Post by toyofixer »

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check on the oil I think it is synthetic. I think I am going to remove the spring from the fork tube that wasnt leaking and measure it from the top with it fully compressed and go with that. Thanks
1991 KDX 250
richep

Post by richep »

I think it's 560 ml. for each fork. I don't have the book with me but i'll check later.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

The manual is available online here. Inda has a sticky about it above the questions in this section. I bought a disk of it off Ebay so that is also an option. The 250 is just an additional magazine sized book with the different specs than the 200s. I would think the 250 would be in there also.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

Toyofixer,

One posssible solution is to work on the fork leg that is not leaking first. Put that one appart and drop all the oil in one container; then measure in cc's how much oil is in there. Other solution is to go to your local Kawasaki dealer and ask them; if they are nice the will tell you. Most likely they know this without looking at the manual.

In relation to the oil mix I use 40:1 and have no problems; I only recommend using a known systhetic oil such as Maxima or Bel Ray.
Dejovi22
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|QBB<[/url]
dejovi22 wrote: In relation to the oil mix I use 40:1 and have no problems; I only recommend using a known systhetic oil such as Maxima or Bel Ray.
Not all synthetics are created equal IMO. Bel Ray caused this:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, not a fan of BelRay or Maxima. That being said, redline full synthetic is VERY good.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I broke down and bought a few quarts of the Amsoil Interceptor from that little link at the top of the site. I hope to get some in the engine by next weekend.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

I wouldn't go by how much oil you can pour out of the fork as it is difficult to get it all out with the fork still assembled. That is one reason you pour the oil in it, pump out the air and measure from the top of the fork tube with the fork compressed.

Sorry I don't have the spec for your bike either.

:grin:
Dewey
02 -KDX220
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Hey, iv'e got the same bike, and the book says.........Oil capacity 569 +or -4 ml. And oil level with the fork full compressed, and the spring removed, 95 +or-2 mm.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM