Working on Your Bike 101?

Got questions? We got answers....
zombieCat

Working on Your Bike 101?

Post by zombieCat »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just picked up an '05 KDX200 yesterday--my first 2-stroke. I'm gonna love it compared to the pig of a DRZ400 I've been riding.

I've done very basic mechanic work on cars, but don't have experience with motorcycles beyond generic maintenance. I'd like to find a resource that can give me a good overview of how to work on the bike--basics of jetting, doing a top-end, etc. I'm sure there's adequate info in the threads on this site, but I'm looking for a single resource (or set of resources) like a book, DVD or something that I can sit down with and learn from. While I like forums for getting situation-specific advice, I prefer a concise, indexed resource for getting a good overview of how to work on the bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
z
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Get a manual. Must have.

I like to hold a reference in my hand..flip through it while I'm working on the bike...so 'on-line' isn't for me. I want a dang BOOK!!

Yes. I am old. Wanna make sumthin' of it? ..where'd I put my dang crutch.. :wink:

Welcome to the site! If you need to know something about your bike, chances are pretty good somebody here has already done it or knows something about it.

Yep! You're going to love it!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
zombieCat

Post by zombieCat »

Thanks for the links Indawoods. I think Eric Gorr's book is what I'm looking for. While I don't consider myself old, and by day I'm a mild-mannered techno-geek, like canyncarvr I like to have a book in my hands. Where's the best place to pick up a service manual for the KDX200?
wylde3

Post by wylde3 »

This is where I bought my service manual. http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/99924-1181-09
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

i saw them on egay real cheap and it was a cd.