gear oil leak

Got questions? We got answers....
SGM

gear oil leak

Post by SGM »

with my front sprocket off I keep finding gear oil in the lowest groove beneath the shaft. My first thought was the countershaft seal so I picked one up but after looking into it more the seal is not leaking at all. The seal is dry as a bone and so is the first groove down. as strange as it sounds it's almost like it's leaching right through the case. I clean it dry and go back in cpl hrs and there is the oil again. anyone else ever have this problem?
PHTR
SEMRAM2
FFRT
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Any chance it is the o-ring or collar?

Have you already changed the seal?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Remember there are suppose to be two o-rings in there. Mine leaked with only one.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is this a 1995 and newer KDX? What year????????????????????
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

95 and up have two o-rings, not sure about the other years.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

On the Kawi's, the c/s seal rarely is the problem. Most of the time it's the above mentioned O-rings. Especially if you've recently changed sprockets. If you check your service manual it should show how many o-rings. As stated above 95 & up have 2.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I could also be a microscopic crack but I doubt it.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
SGM

Post by SGM »

it's a 2000 KDX and it doesn't seem to be coming from the seal. The seal itself is dry and the case directly below the seal is dry. just the lower groove collects oil. I bought the new seal kit anyway and will change it because I have it. I'll let you guys know if that's it.
I keep thinking little crack myself and am thinking about pressurizing the case.
PHTR
SEMRAM2
FFRT
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When you say "lower groove" are you meaning the circle area between the crankcase and the outer diameter of the seal?

I am curious to see how it turns out because I want to replace the seal, collar, o-ring(s) and circlip on each of my bikes. I have enough parts for one bike. I am going to start with the 1987. If you have any tips or tricks on installing the seal, please let us know.

Thanks.
Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

I just went through the same thing with mine.

I changed the Seal and that wasn't it.

Mine had only one o-ring under the sleeve, you MUST have 2.

Pull the sleeve off the splined shaft, look at the sleeve, it has a groove machined in it to hold the o-rings.

Here's the parts we're talking about (part # 92055 2 each) ........

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0455/ ... arent=4730

HTH,

HB
Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

Jason wrote: If you have any tips or tricks on installing the seal, please let us know.

Thanks.
Not sure on the older bikes, but on 95 and newer.....

Just remove the CS sprocket and sleeve, then use a large flat screwdriver and just pry the old seal out, easy job. You will destroy the old seal, but it doesn't matter. Wipe out any foreign matter w/ a clean rag.

Use a wire hook and pull out the old o-rings, coat the new o-rings w/ moly grease and slide them on the shaft, use the sleeve to push them on and seat them fully.

Take some moly grease on your finger and grease the rubber lips on the new seal. Be generous.

Find a large socket that will fit over the new seal (size that touches the METAL outer ring only) and gently tap the seal in place with a rubber mallet until it seats fully.

Reassemble and gas it!

The older bikes are probably very similiar.

HB
Last edited by Hellbender on 11:41 am Mar 30 2005, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for mentioning that the collar has a groove in one side. I took my new one out of the bag and saw it.

Hellbender, what year / model is your KDX? My 1987 has the same collar part number as the 1994, but the 1987 only has one o-ring. The diagram in the 1989 - 1994 manual shows only one, but buykawasaki.com shows two.

I remember someone on another site saying that you could flip that collar around. I think that is wrong, of course, after seeing the groove for myself. Maybe old collars had no groove. Remind me to report back within a few weeks to see what my '87 has. :grin:

EDIT: CORRECTION - the 1987 and 1994 collar part numbers are different, so they are NOT the same. Maybe the old collars ARE flippable.
Last edited by Anonymous on 01:13 pm Mar 30 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Hellbender

Re: gear oil leak

Post by Hellbender »

SGM wrote:with my front sprocket off I keep finding gear oil in the lowest groove beneath the shaft. My first thought was the countershaft seal so I picked one up but after looking into it more the seal is not leaking at all. The seal is dry as a bone and so is the first groove down. as strange as it sounds it's almost like it's leaching right through the case. I clean it dry and go back in cpl hrs and there is the oil again. anyone else ever have this problem?
I also noted the first 5 words of your note....

"WITH MY FRONT SPROCKET OFF"

The INSTALLED sprocket holds pressure on the sleeve which pushes on the 0-rings to keep them sealed.

HB
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oops. You posted while I was typing, so I missed your post. Thank you for the tips. Maybe one of my SAE 1/2" drive, deep well sockets will go from collectible status to tool status. :grin:

EDIT: I am getting smarter all the time! Hellbender, keep posting. :grin:
Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

Jason wrote:Thanks for mentioning that the collar has a groove in one side. I took my new one out of the bag and saw it.

Hellbender, what year / model is your KDX? My 1987 has the same collar part number as the 1994, but the 1987 only has one o-ring. The diagram in the 1989 - 1994 manual shows only one, but buykawasaki.com shows two.

I remember someone on another site saying that you could flip that collar around. I think that is wrong, of course, after seeing the groove for myself. Maybe old collars had no groove. Remind me to report back within a few weeks to see what my '87 has. :grin:
I've got a '97 and an '02 220, so I'm sorry I can't answer definately on your bikes. In general, I don't see how the o-ring/s could stay in place without the groove in the sleeve.

I'd put on one 0-ring and when you assemble the c/s sprocket, see if it has to be pushed (compressing the o-ring slightly) to get the retaining ring on, if not, then I would try 2 o-rings.

Obviously, the best option would be to find someone that actually knows what they are talking about :mrgreen: regarding your year model!

HB
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It's the same part numbers for all of them (C, E and H / 200), so it must work the same. I don't remember a groove in the '87's collar when I fooled with it 15 years ago. I've got oil in the transmission right now, so I can't pull it right now. I will know when I get around to pulling it, though.

Thanks.

EDIT: CORRECTION - the seal, oring(s) and circlips are the same on my 1987 and 1994, but the collar is different.
Last edited by Anonymous on 01:11 pm Mar 30 2005, edited 1 time in total.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Jason - When I pulled the CS sprocket on my 89 to fix its leak there were two very small o-rings that were trashed. I replaced them with one larger o-ring and so far its been leak free. The collar and seal were both toast on mine as well.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmm! Thanks for letting me know. This area of maintenance is one of those not covered in the manuals.

My engine is out of the frame on my '94, I will have to check the collar on it.

EDIT: Sure enough, there was a groove in the end of the collar and two o-rings in there.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

SGM, how long have you had your front sprocket off? I had noticed that my bike weeped a little over time from that area, but I just noticed that since I have had the front sprocket off, it has somewhat pooled up along the bottom edge. I have had the front sprocket off for 6 months or so.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You can also pack the cavity behind the CS (around the shaft) with grease as a temp fix until you can replace the orings, seal and collar.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E