Moab experience?

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Moab experience?

Post by Colorado Mike »

I'm thinking about going to Moab around 3/17 and have never been there. Anyone have any tips on where to ride and what to expect? I'll have my son with me who I guess I would classify as a "Blue Run" trail rider. he's more of an MX guy. The other guys going are more experienced, with one of them being the type I always think is going to die spectacularly. :roll:

Thanks for any info.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

So no one here's invited?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

M0rie's been there quite a few times, I think. Way more times than me (0) anyway.

PM him if he doesn't volunteer some info.

**edit** Well poop. I thinked wrong on that one.

How 'bout this? SOMEone I know has been there!!! As soon as you figger out who that is, let me know and I'll ask'm about it!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:45 pm Feb 28 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Moab is truly an awesome place, never ridden there though. If you can, try to make the drive to Canyon lands N.P. too. Also, from what I remember Utah has some weird laws on alcohol sales, so take your own brew :partyman:
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

everybody's invited! That would be most excellent. Just thought it was early in the season and me not knowing squat about the place... Truth be told I just came up with the idea tonight. was also entertaining the idea of just going to Grand Junction, not near as scenic, but closer and better known by me. Anyone thinking of maybe Moab the week of 3/17, lemme know!
Last edited by Colorado Mike on 01:28 am Feb 28 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My wife is going to Seattle that weekend. But I also have a big project at work coming due that week too. Maybe........
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've never been to Moab, its on my list of places though. I've ridden in a lot of terrain similar to it. Should be fun. Let us know how it goes.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Mike, While I'm not an "expert" on Moab, I have been there five times and it is truly an amazing place. The terrain varies from slickrock to rocky red dirt to sandy washes. What makes Moab so amazing, for us anyway, is the incredible scenery. Be sure to take a camera and stop often to take it all in. There are easy trails and very technical trails with lots of rocky ledges. I would HIGHLY suggest that you purchase the book Moab, UT Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells. It can be purchased at the Moab Information Center in the center of town and many other locations. While not a Motorcycle specific book, it gives excellent descriptions of most of the trails in the area.
Our Favorites:
1. Hell's Revenge, Fins-n-Things and the Slickrock Trail, all close to town and easy to ride all in a day.
2. Kane Creek Canyon, Chicken Corners and Hurrah Pass, all close together
3. Poison Spider Mesa and Golden Spike
I would suggest going to Thumpertalk.com and searching in the "Rocky Mtn" riding forum, as there are some very good write-ups there.
I could go on and on, but this should get you started. Please post a write up when you get back!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks DD. I've been doing some searches and appreciate your input.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Rob

MOAB

Post by Rob »

Mike, I'm located in Arvada,Co I've been riding the Moab & surrounding areas since 1979, approx 4 trips per year so pretty much know every nook & cranny over there. If you can change your trip dates --our group is going over Easter weekend and I'm going that Monday 3/25 - and stay through Sat 30th. That way you'd be able to get in on some "guided" [ no charge, of course] tours & see trails you'd never, ever find on your own. It's simply the best riding on the planet!! I have hundreds of photos of different rides there.
Call me - 303 618 2158 or culbertsonglass1@juno.com and I can give you the details. [Other forum riders are welcome too].

You CAN go on your own as there are ALWAYS other riders there. Just drive up to Poison Spider [or Monitor/Merrimac, Bartlett wash,Kane Creek, etc,etc] parking lot in the morning and introduce yourself to the next dirt bikers that show up.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MOAB

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
Rob wrote:
You CAN go on your own as there are ALWAYS other riders there. Just drive up to Poison Spider [or Monitor/Merrimac, Bartlett wash,Kane Creek, etc,etc] parking lot in the morning and introduce yourself to the next dirt bikers that show up.
Just don't ask this guy to show you around :blink: :

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r292 ... ter=videos
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Rob, that sounds great! unfortunately I can't change the date since that's when my son is on spring break. I'm hearing that it gets extremely crowded then, week of 3/17. Is that true from your experience? If so, I might just go to Grand Junction and save Moab for a bit later in the season since we only have a few days.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Wuds, I do that stuff all the time.

Uh, riding in circles that is. Just without the 200' drops on each side of me.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Rob

MOAB

Post by Rob »

Mike, It will be extremely "busy" that weekend - Spring Break and as someone reminded me last night the next week -Easter is even busier -Moab's annual Jeep Safari & 1500+ 4WDs in town & on the trails. Restaurants will have lines and Motels will be full.

Our group will be riding about 30 miles NW of Moab - White wash/Ruby Ranch area. It's the favorite place of UTMA riders and there's NO mountain bikers. I rode there last year spring break and there were many other dirt bikers [but the area is HUGE] so you can easily find someone that will show you some of the trails.

Take ranch exit 173 off I-70 and go 12 mi SW on a good gravel road - You'll need camping gear as it's remote. On a good map you can find White wash.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks Rob.
Mike

'04 KDX220