Wiring in a Horn on a KDX220R

Got questions? We got answers....
AtomicKDX

Wiring in a Horn on a KDX220R

Post by AtomicKDX »

I am in the process of street-legalizing my KDX. Got the brake light working with a Fredette kit. Now can anyone tell me how to wire in a horn? do I just tap into the headlight power with a switch or what?
race30

Post by race30 »

I just get a bicycle horn from walmart- it looks dumb but its dirt cheap and gets the job done

http://images.acehardwareoutlet.com/get ... &width=175
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
race30 wrote:I just get a bicycle horn from walmart- it looks dumb but its dirt cheap and gets the job done

http://images.acehardwareoutlet.com/get ... &width=175
:lol:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The OEM light coil puts out a bit under four amps.

I doubt that (all of it) would power any kind of horn. Maybe A peizo beeper...but that wouldn't likely qualify under whatever SPL is required in your state for a 'horn'.

What kind of horn did you have in mind? What's the current draw? If you don't know, hook it up to an ammeter and a battery and find out.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Here's a wireless horn you can mount on the handle bars.

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/Bulb ... p/buld.htm
:lol:
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

My plan was to actually tie wrap a small 12V sealed battery, and then connect the horn to that, because I thought that I didn't want to have the lights on just to use the horn. A small $25 12V battery may put out about 10 Ah, the horn draw I am not sure yet. I will check.

Maybe all the other posts about using a air horn for a bicycle may not be a bad idea after all, but it sure will get a lot of laughs from my other friend riders.

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:The OEM light coil puts out a bit under four amps.

I doubt that (all of it) would power any kind of horn. Maybe A peizo beeper...but that wouldn't likely qualify under whatever SPL is required in your state for a 'horn'.

What kind of horn did you have in mind? What's the current draw? If you don't know, hook it up to an ammeter and a battery and find out.
:oops: :mrgreen:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The squeesy horn is pretty popular in Colorado for dirt bikes getting legalized.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My plan was to actually tie wrap a small 12V sealed battery, and then connect the horn to that, because I thought that I didn't want to have the lights on just to use the horn. A small $25 12V battery may put out about 10 Ah, the horn draw I am not sure yet. I will check.
A good idea...as some states require the horn to work when the engine is NOT running! (This limited statement implies you to have specific legal responsibilities. You may have others, which vary from state to state.)

You have to know what the current draw is when you design your horn setup. If you go that route (battery powered), consider using a relay.

..but it sure will get a lot of laughs from my other friend riders.
Beep it at'em from the top of that nasty climb you just pulled out of, while they are still trying to get past the 1/2-way mark! That'll shut'em up. All in good fun, of course.

Paint the horn KawGreen!! :wink:

Consider the source

AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Ok, horn is 1.5A at 12V. What do you recommend for battery size.? I think I can probably go as small as 2Ah because that would mean it would work continuously for over an hour beeping...I plan just to use a push button handlebar mounted kill/horn switch between the battery and horn.

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
A good idea...as some states require the horn to work when the engine is NOT running! (This limited statement implies you to have specific legal responsibilities. You may have others, which vary from state to state.)

You have to know what the current draw is when you design your horn setup. If you go that route (battery powered), consider using a relay.

..but it sure will get a lot of laughs from my other friend riders.
Beep it at'em from the top of that nasty climb you just pulled out of, while they are still trying to get past the 1/2-way mark! That'll shut'em up. All in good fun, of course.

Paint the horn KawGreen!! :wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I expected considerably more than 1.5A sucked by the horn...

It's safe to assume that the printed ratings are at the best, hopeful. Still..a 2AH battery should fire the horn as much as it would be needed (assuming you don't spend a WHOLE lot of time beeping it at the top of that hill).

12VDC will have a hard time (considerable loss) going through relatively small wire. I don't know where you plan on putting the battery, the switch, the horn..but if it's more than a few inches of wire, DO use a relay. That way you can use quite small wire to run the relay and NOT have to run satisfactorily fat wire from the batt to/thru the switch and still to the horn.

Whatever suits.

Yeah..you will lose some AH running the relay AND the horn...but depending on your layout you gain more than you lose if you're trying to run the whole mess with 3-4' of #18-20 wire.

That you are familiar with what an AH even is...says you know what you're doing...so sorry for too much basic junk.

Happy beeping!

Consider the source

AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Your suggestions and points are very much appreciated. The horn switch is just a handle bar mounted pushbutton with 17-inch leads. So the battery will have to be tied in close to the front. I am thinking right up front next to the trip meter. The battery/horn/switch cost $8/$8.50/$9.25 w/o shipping. I'll post a pic of my setup as soon I get the parts in and it's done.

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:I expected considerably more than 1.5A sucked by the horn...

It's safe to assume that the printed ratings are at the best, hopeful. Still..a 2AH battery should fire the horn as much as it would be needed (assuming you don't spend a WHOLE lot of time beeping it at the top of that hill).

12VDC will have a hard time (considerable loss) going through relatively small wire. I don't know where you plan on putting the battery, the switch, the horn..but if it's more than a few inches of wire, DO use a relay. That way you can use quite small wire to run the relay and NOT have to run satisfactorily fat wire from the batt to/thru the switch and still to the horn.

Whatever suits.

Yeah..you will lose some AH running the relay AND the horn...but depending on your layout you gain more than you lose if you're trying to run the whole mess with 3-4' of #18-20 wire.

That you are familiar with what an AH even is...says you know what you're doing...so sorry for too much basic junk.

Happy beeping!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

17" is quite a bit...and the higher the draw of the load, the more loss you'll get through the wire. Cut'em as short as you can and still have the install work. Don't 'save' what's there in a loop for some future use.

beep beep!!

Consider the source

cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

Id go with a kit from pro-cycle
http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm
tony_d123

Post by tony_d123 »

I used a bicycle horn that works off a 9v battery for the MOT test in the UK. It just straps to the handlebar and has a short length of cable and a separate push button. Took it off as soon as I got the test certificate and will just fit it every 12 months for the test.
It is called a "buddy Megahorn", have a look on eBay.
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Thanks for all the input and ideas. I think I have a plan. Will post pics after things are installed.
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

I mounted one of those small air horns that people use at sporting events. Really loud and no power needed. Just fasten it good so you can push on it to activate.
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

>|<>QBB<
Kurt Franz wrote:I mounted one of those small air horns that people use at sporting events. Really loud and no power needed. Just fasten it good so you can push on it to activate.
Ditto on that! Perfect solution and cheap too.
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

street legal kdx

Post by jaydollar »

i bought a 1999 kdx 220 off of e**y last september.it came with a street legal kit from a place called trailtotrail.com.also known as jgear.it comes with everything but the upgraded coil and is plug and play.check out the site and the kaw kit. its kinda pricy at $219.95 but all the leg work is done for you.good luck j$.
1999 kdx 220
rb carb, rb head pump gas mod. 607 reeds, airbox lid drilled
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
trail tech endurance computer
13/49 gear