Top speed- sproket suggestion

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've kind of lost track of the topic here....

I like 13/47. Seems to work fine all over. 13/50 was way too low for my liking. (Who cares what I think, anyway?)

I've been using the Z sprockets for a few years now. I can get 18 months out of a set of chain and sprockets. There is a lot of riding in those 18 months;10+ hours a week from mid January through early June for the Enduro season, then down to 4-5 hours a week. This is ride time, not talking/tinkering.

I find a GOOD chain to last just as well as the HIGH DOLLAR chain I'm on now.

Changing the front sprocket is not that easy on the trail. I couldn't do it without taking the chain off the back sprocket, which meant rolling it back on, which means running the risk of snapping teeth off the back sprocket. Doesn't seem viable.

My bike will go 65 with 13/47 on a dirt road, maybe a little more.
I don't care, it is downright scary. It is not tuned to do that suspension wise, jetting, or any other way.

If I was on the road I'd limit myself to 45 and get to the OFF ROAD riding area in one piece
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
race30

Post by race30 »

KarlP

Valuable insight...thanks for the help

I did buy the chain and sprockets yesterday- steel sprockets and an O-Ring chain 13/50- I'll just take my time getting there as everyone said-

The deciding factor was that chain and sprokets wear in sets- so I didn't want to just get a new chain (as that's all that was needed)

I'm sure it would have worked otherwise?!? but hey- its piece of mind to know that its ready to go i guess

Thanks for all the help guys!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Another suggestion:

Buy a couple different front sprockets that you think may work for you 12/13/14 from Rockymountainmc.com at 7 bucks a sprocket, and test them all!!
mtnrydr

14T countershaft sprocket

Post by mtnrydr »

After I got my 05 220 last spring I decided I needed a little more roadspeed between trails. I put on a 14T countershaft sprocket to use on the Colorado 500 in August. We are on trails mostly but on asphalt some too. I could go about 50 without much problem but everybody else just motored away and got to the next town way ahead of me. It still works fine on the trails. All-in-all I'd say the 14T is a good compromise.
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

>|<>QBB<
jowens66 wrote:Another suggestion:

Buy a couple different front sprockets that you think may work for you 12/13/14 from Rockymountainmc.com at 7 bucks a sprocket, and test them all!!
I was able to try and test fit a 14T countersprocket on my 220 but could not install because the teeth would rub on the chain slider. I would have had to grind off some of the material where the slider bent around the swingarm. Can't believe a 15T would come even close to fitting.
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
mtnrydr

Larger countershaft sprocket

Post by mtnrydr »

You're right blimpman, a 15T wouldd'nt fit in there. My 14T almost touched the frame slider material. You'll just have to use the stock 13T with a smaller rear sprocket.
I need to balance my original stock front tire. At 50 it bounces. I've noted the advice about letting off the gas occasionally while at those speeds on the asphalt.
pezvela

Post by pezvela »

My SR model 250 had 14/40 :shock: and would not pull it in 5th. I thought the previous owner had put the gears on, but my brother also has an SR 200 with the same gearing. I changed over to 13/45 but have yet to try it out. Before I realized what ratio I had, I thought all you guys had brass balls talking about running in situations (whoops, rock gardens...etc) in 2nd or 3rd gear, that would be about 50mph on my bike with 14/40. Makes sense now.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

My SR model 250 had 14/40 and would not pull it in 5th
Is your jetting right? may explain why it doesn't pull 5th and 6th
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

14/40 IS pretty dang high...even for a 250.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!