Top speed- sproket suggestion

Got questions? We got answers....
race30

Top speed- sproket suggestion

Post by race30 »

Let me start off the topic by saying that yes I've searched-

I'm going to get some new chain and sprockets, I have a 220...It's titled on the street and I'll be using it as a trail hopper- not a commuter- I basically just want to be able to go 65-70 mph with out ringing its neck-- is this possible with 13/50 gearing? or will I have to run stock 13/47?

I'd like to stay with the 13/50 if possible for low speed trail riding-

does anyone have any experience?

thanks
race30

Post by race30 »

also though I might add that I have no mods- bone stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Go with the 13/47 combo... then for trail use swap out the counter sprocket for a 12, that will take back to a 13/50 ratio.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
race30

Post by race30 »

haha- tough situation...I don't want to ride to the trails (5 miles) and then swap sprokets....that would be a mess---

can anyone give a top speed of each setup (approx)?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

12/47 can get you close to 80..with a quite wrung neck.

Changing a CS sprocket isn't a mess...takes a couple minutes. No biggee. DO carry an extry circlip if you do that. About the time it goes 'sproing' and you can't find it...not only is your ride over, but you can't get back home, neither!

'You cannot have your cake and eat it too.'

Yep. And 13/47 is probably neither of them. Not if you're wanting 70mph.

Use the proper tool to take that clip off. Don't pry it off with a screwdriver, else you'll be needing a 'spare' every time.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:12/47 can get you close to 80..with a quite wrung neck.

Changing a CS sprocket isn't a mess...takes a couple minutes. No biggee. DO carry an extry circlip if you do that. About the time it goes 'sproing' and you can't find it...not only is your ride over, but you can't get back home, neither!

'You cannot have your cake and eat it too.'

Yep. And 13/47 is probably neither of them. Not if you're wanting 70mph.

Use the proper tool to take that clip off. Don't pry it off with a screwdriver, else you'll be needing a 'spare' every time.
So you are saying a 12/47 will run him 80, but the 13/47 wouldn't be so good for 70?

The 13/47 would actually make the bike run faster up top wouldn't it?

Changing sprockets on a ride would be a real pain the in butt if you ask me. Depending on how tight you have your chain, would depend on a few things, whether you have to tighten it to put a smaller front sprocket on, and if whether or not you have to loosen it to get the other front sprocket on it. You should be able to find a happy medium there that would let you do this though.

I'd say keep your current gearing that you ride trails with, take a little extra time to get there and down wring your bike out tight, it shouldn't take but a few extra minutes to get there going at a slower pace.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Is my English that difficult? Sorry...I understood myself. :wink:

No one has to agree with what I say..I honestly don't care much one way or other. Understanding what it is one doesn't agree with is usually a good idea.

I take that back. I don't care at all. Apologies.

I said 12/47 will run 'close to 80'. I've run that. My bike. GPS'd, and, yes..that's with no loss of sat lock.

I said '..with a quite wrung neck'... That is the state the originating poster did NOT want to be in.

Yes, 13/47 will get you a higher speed at the same RPM than will 12/47.

13/47 is going to be neither having your cake NOR eating it, too. It will be higher for the street, but even with the added CSS tooth (over 12/47..or 13/50..which are about the same) it's not going to 'like' 70mph (again...the wrung neck part)..AND it isn't my choice for woods. Not with an unmodified bike anyway.

Re: 'I'd say keep your current gearing that you ride trails with, take a little extra time to get there and down wring your bike out tight, it shouldn't take but a few extra minutes to get there going at a slower pace. '

Agreed.

Well, if I understand what I think was meant...probably. :wink:

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Also, when running dang near WOT for miles and miles be careful when backing off the throttle. Do it more abruptly as opposed to backing off 1/16th or something for example. If everything isn't right w/ your slide/needle/etc, and you hit a lean spot you can stick things pretty good.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My 220 runs about 73 mph with 12/47 gearing. That's all it had with the woods pipe. Now it has a rev, but I really doubt it would go as fast as a 200, but what do I know?

I do know I wouldn't really want to be doing much riding at that speed. The bike is mighty wonky with it's unround, unbalanced, unsuitable wheel/tire setup. It is much more stable since I added a Scott's stabilizer, but not at all confidence inspiring. Thrilling would be more like it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

IMO and all...After running WOT for much of any time I prefer to not back off the throttle at ALL...without pulling the clutch lever...giving the throttle a couple of blips on the slowdown to cool things..oil things.

It's not a KDX problem..it's not (only) a 2-smoke problem. Brandy new 4ST bikes have oiling problems at highway speeds.

Back to the having cake and eating it too idea. You can have a bike that runs cool, runs well over miles of high speed ops. I have one'a those..at 500lbs. or so, it's not too good in the dirt, but I wouldn't want to have to keep up with it on my KDX headed down to ski's place......

Consider the source

race30

Post by race30 »

OK guys...thanks for the input...it sounds like I should stick w/ 13/50...I'd like to avoid going 12/47 because I feel as though the front sprocket would wear quicker...

thanks
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You're welcome!

Glad to have been able to help out. I appreciate your taking the input into consideration and reaching a logical conclusion to the question: 'How fast does a 12T CSS wear?'

:hmm:

Consider the source

race30

Post by race30 »

well as I see it...the smaller sprocket goes around more times...and therefore sees more chain time...causing more wear...

I'm sure it doesn't wear THAT much quicker- but every mile counts!

The bike currently has newer sun star Z sprocket (rear)...but I'm not sure I like them because basically it side loads the chain bearings (each link) and I'd imagine its not good for chain longevity...I hear you guys running them for seasons on end- but I'm skeptical...and regardless my chain is DONE...and since chain and sprockets wear together...It's time for a whole new "shibang"

at least that's my take- I appreciate any comments though!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

13/50 or 12/47 are not significantly different ratio-wise..and anything smaller with any gear is going to wear more. Neither set-up is going to get you happily zipping down the highway at 70mph..that's the point.

It's MORE to the point with a 'bone stock' 220, which is characteristically out of breath early. My bike being capable of pushing 80mph means your's isn't likely to come close to that.

jowens has the simplest, common sensical point of view. Don't be in such a hurry! Surely 50mph will get the job done...and still be legal on the highway.

As already said...I run a 12T CSS, and it's good wearwise for a couple of years. Granted, not much 70mph going on. :wink:

I hadn't heard the 'side load' argument on the crooked-toothed Z. I'd guess you have a whole lot more'n that to worry about trying to run 70mph on the highway with a dirt knobbied KDX.

Consider the source

race30

Post by race30 »

"I hadn't heard the 'side load' argument on the crooked-toothed Z. I'd guess you have a whole lot more'n that to worry about trying to run 70mph on the highway with a dirt knobbied KDX."

valid point- I guess this is like trying to make something perfect which will probably never be perfect...I appreciate all of the input guys! I think I'll just man up and spend some dough-
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Crusing speeds at 70? 15/47 might be in store......
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I was going to spend a few bucks a year or so ago on stainless
sprockets and after posting a question on what wears the best
Inda said try a Z sprocket.
Guess what ???
A year later and many many miles later that Z sprocket is still
in great shape and it was dirt cheap. It's not the best looking
thing but it lasts very well.
BTW, I run a 13/48 combo and top speed is about 77 and would
not hold it there for more than a few seconds, well, I have but
was really pushing my luck. :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A 15/47 probably won't work. Not with the same chain if that chain is correctly adjusted in both CSS installs.

I doubt a 15 would fit under the OEM guards. Well...I'm sure it won't..but I've not tried it, so I'll stick with the disclaimer modifications.

Consider the source

jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Crusing speeds at 70? 15/47 might be in store......
Yeah it would be fine for cruising at high speeds, but if you ride any type of tight single track, 15/47 is WAY too high geared, IMO.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I never said 15/47 was practical. It's needed to ride comfortably at 70 though, considering you're using the wrong tool for the job at that point.