Does spring rate change over time?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

Does spring rate change over time?

Post by Ondatrail »

Do shock springs become softer over time? I might buy a used one on ebay from an older model bike and I wanted to see if the rate changed through wear and tear.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

I'm not sure if it's the same for bikes, but cars springs lose tensity over time. If i had to guess, i would say yes for bikes too.
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
BullShooter

Post by BullShooter »

All springs do...some worse than others. It's not so much how old it is, but how many times it's been cycled....ie if it was on a garage queen it'll be like new.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

OK thanks I thought so.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Johnny Newton's law of increasing mass states: "The relationship of the ratio of sprung mass to the spring rate increases proportionally over time and also increases at an exponintial rate compared to the quantities of beers drank and donuts consumed."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Besides beer and doughnuts, there is the quality of beer can used to make the spring in the first place.

I think I'd be less concerned about the rate than I would the capacity.

A reduction in either is going to show up in a more easily measured spec. If you get a spring for your 'H' KDX that is 460mm long...the proper use of THAT spring does not include cutting a longer preload spacer. THAT spring is junk.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Fork springs develop stress risers (microscopic cracks) over time that will eventually lead to complete failure if the springs are used long enough. Sagging, as I recall, is primarily due to the reallignment of the spring steel molecules over time due to working stresses - the same mechanism forms the surface stress risers which can eventually develop into large cracks in fork springs (that's why shot peening helps extend life). Buying used fork springs is a gamble in that respect - that polished wear found on the outer edges isn't a good thing, even if the rate seems OK. I know this for a fact, as I have had high-time fork springs break while riding.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote: . . . I know this for a fact, as I have had high-time fork springs break while riding.
Yikes!

How long is "high-time"? Most man-made things in creation get weak and fail eventually, Mom Nature's way of getting revenge for us humans bending molecules in unnatural ways. But I'd expect that most modern day springs would hold up for a good long time under moderate use - 15-20 years before they show signs of "weakening" perhaps?.

'Course my expectations aren't supported by personal experiences like your own !!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The fork springs failed me at about 3 seasons. But that's back when I rode 3-4 times a week. BTW, both failures were while riding a mighty KDX machine. Noticeable sack before that point, so maybe when the springs begin to sack it would be a good time to replace them (even for cheap-skates like me).
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've had brand new Eibachs fail after two rides. 'Fail' meaning one of the pair got a whole lot shorter.

It's not necessarily a lot of use, a lot of time..and it happens to brand name stuff, too.

Another good reason to service your forks a couple times a year if you ride much at all...check that sort of thing out.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!