Post by jc7622 »

I guess some people actually do paint plastic -

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=608020
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've used Krylon Fusion and it works well, which is why I said:
I wrote:Fusion is good stuff. It does stick to plastics (like it says it does) and is hardy, too. It won't stand up to BraKleen or lacquer thinner..but it's pretty tough.
Immediately thereafter the question was posted:
How well does the Krylon Fusion stuff work?
..which was somewhat :hmm: to me, so I thought I'd throw this in:
I wrote:I've heard it's complete crap that doesn't stick to anything worth a damn.
..which was supposed to be humorous. Maybe just 'my brand' of it that slipped past in the darkness. Certainly it would slip by those that didn't read the post in the first place.

It's not Imron, it's not a catalyzed, electrolysis applied, heat fused paint. It comes out of a can 'fer crine out loud. For what it IS (that would be paint out of a can), it's good stuff, and it DOES stick to plastic.

Oh well.......... :roll:

BTW...is it just me, or aren't most ThumperTalk posts as simply nasty and worthless ('Like this post?' you say? :wink: ) as the one referenced?

..that monkey boy looks familiar. Wonder what kind'a thumper HE rides?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

The monkey also admitted to having some kind of a garage-voyeurism fetish.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Other companies are making paint for plastics too

I used a textured black paint from Rustoleum on my Vstrom last year on some scratched up parts I scored on

This piece around the headlight was originally gloss black

I painted a test piece with bright yellow Fusion. While it would easily get f'd up with a gas spill you could not harm it with your fingernail
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:The monkey also admitted to having some kind of a garage-voyeurism fetish.
But I don't think it stops there! :shock:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The fusion does adhere pretty well. I bought a late-model YZ front plate on ebay, dirt cheap . . . but it was blue!

So, I painted it with white Fusion and it looked fine. To add protection. I bought a sheet of the white number plate background and cut it to size and stuck it on the plate (before I stuck it on I ran a permanent marker around the outer edge to make it look spiffy). See the pics below. Maybe you could do similar: paint the panels black then cut some black number plate background to size, covering the majority of the surface, so it'll survive the occasional bump/scratch. Just a thought . . .

"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jeb..
What's on your tubes below the bottom clamp?

I like that RB sticker! Anyone ask you, 'Whatz THAT s'posed to mean?'?

Nice lookin' bike!

Watch out for the monkey!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:

Nice lookin' bike!

'cept for that dumm lookin # plate

Aint much of a KDX without a light :razz:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I was mostly referring to it being clean...and that shiny pipe's gotta get any raven's attention.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Funny that donut look much like the Kensucky I envision

Where's the ol bloodhound napping on the porch?

Where ya keep the still?

Where's the toofless banjo playing kid?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Very clean look to the bike. :supz:
Last edited by skipro3 on 08:47 am Feb 25 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Thanks for all the compliments!!

'Cept that stuff about our dogs on the porch - why, what respectable banjo-fiddlin' mountain man would make his dogs sit on the porch in this weather!? 'Better not let my Uncle Daddy hear about that!

And it's a real RB-modded KDX, minus the light, plus yer old shock spring! Suspension feels great now BTW . . .

RB-stickers - I've had a few recognize the name, believe it or not.

Upper tubes coverings - Cut from carbon fiber look-alike decal, N-style I think. Almost got the real stuff but decided to go faux and spend the other $ motor-wise.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: Carbon Coverup

That's what I wondered..foe or reel.

I suppose it goes only on the 'same' diameter part..the larger diameter is covered by your sealsaver?

This thread is fairly well jacked by now..should'a started an 'All About Jeb's Uncle Daddy..with a couple pics of bikes thrown in for fun'.

So......

How far down you run your savers? ARE they savers? ...or some other junk substitutes..like the Moose crap I bought last time?

A 'real RB-modded' bike? Sorry...did I imply anything less? :shock:

What treatment your front hub get?

Uh...not to pick...but you DO know your rear wheel ain't as pretty as the front...right? I mean...it's not even the SAME!

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Carbon cover - yes, it covers only the constant OD part. The top of the "wrap" butts up against the bottom of the bottom clamp; the bottom of the wrap stops just shy of where the outer tube flares out to meet the thick portion. Wish I could cover the tube between the top and bottom clamps but that's not practical 'cuz I will pull the forks out now and then. The "sealsavers" indeed cover the thick portion at the bottom of the tube and are pulled up high enough to slightly overlap the carbon wrap . . .

but they're not actually Sealsavers - they're Tusk - and I do believe they may turn out to be "junk" like your Moose Racing versions were. I mention that because I just installed them and the seam is discontinuous over the thicker portion. The thread is still there, but I'm worried. Guess you get what you pay for (where have I heard that before). Anyways, I've ended up with about 2-3" of TuskSavers down the length of the inner tubes.

AND . . . no you didn't imply any less than a "real" KDX, that Wookie guy did. But the RB "stamp" kinda makes things official, doesn't it? :wink:

The front hub is one of those Talons, that's what I got when I bought the wheel off of Ebay (the gold color wasn't a criteria). Having stated that, I really like the treatment and would like to end up with the same in the rear hub because, that's right, it don't look as perty as the front!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...the seam is discontinuous over the thicker portion. The thread is still there, but I'm worried.
Exactly. My moosers did the same thing (neoprene split..cover still stitched..sorta) after a ride or two. The previous SealSavers did that SOME, but it took the better part of a year. My 'break' is on the brake side..rubbed by the 'hi route' brake line.

The Talon hub uses the same KX bearings? Mind saying how much $$ for the wheel?

Re: '..with about 2-3" '

Inch? 2/3 inch? That's what " is..right? I'd guess I got that wrong. How much inner tube is exposed at the axle end? How 'bout that?

I run my long socks all the way down...thanks for asking.

BTW...where's yur skid plate? As beatup as my plate is...I'm glad the trauma hasn't been suffered by my frame tubes.

Red grips? What kind'a honda IS this?

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: "Talon hub . . . same KX bearing" - actually, it's a '96 yz wheel, fitted to a set of '98 yz forks via an '03 axle (if I recollect correctly). But, for the record, they use a 69042RS bearing which was quite common: '93-01 kx125/250, '94-01 kx500, '95-'01 cr 125/250/500, '96-'01 yz 125/250 . . . and even a '99-'00 rm 125/250 !!

I've got my "socks" pulled down somewhere around 2 inches to 3 inches.

I DO need a skid plate, I's gonna try to do something a little bit custom but may just buy one.

And the red grips - their the Pro Grip 791's, seems someone on this site was rantin' and ravin' about 'em, thought I'd give them a try. In red just to be a nonconformist.

So, is somebody going to be painting some side panels or what?

CLICK FOR PICS!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Jeb, where did you get your graphics? I like the red Kawasaki :mrgreen:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jeb wrote:So, is somebody going to be painting some side panels or what?
Hey! If you wanna change the subject...go start your own thread!

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

OOPS! Sorry for the hijack!!

Ondatrail - I bought the red letters from the dealership thinking I would place them on the fork guards. They didn't look good on the guards so I stuck them on top of the existing letters on the rad cover decals. Same size letters.

CLICK FOR PICS!