Opening up the cockpit

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

Opening up the cockpit

Post by Ondatrail »

After sitting on my friends MX'ers I noticed it feels as if your sitting "in" the cockpit on the KDX. Are there ways you guys know to open it up?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Put a very tall seat foam on your bike.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Put a very tall seat foam on your bike.....
I've heard of that before but I'm 6ft and don't want to be searching blindly for the ground. There are lowering kits for the linkage. Does this effect the suspension? And has anyone made them?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is about the only thing that will change the feel....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Since when does a 6 footer worry about how much clearance he'll have to the ground?

Tall seat foam would be a good idea - make sure to get firm.

You will not get that agressive cockpit feel of the Mx'ers, you'll have a wider seat, and a steep slope up to the tank. In the words of
Borat, "You will never get this You will never get this" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:You will not get that agressive cockpit feel of the Mx'ers, you'll have a wider seat, and a steep slope up to the tank. In the words of
Borat, "You will never get this You will never get this" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know not AS open as an MX'er, but you know always tring to improve something :mrgreen:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

How's the ankle?
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I have a Guts tall, firm seat, IMS super stock pegs, and Renthal high bend bars with my bar mounts turned around to put them farther up and forward. These have made a huge difference in the bike's layout.
After coming off of a KTM, I wanted that aggressive layout, and have it now with these mods.

I'm 5'11" and dont find the seat too tall.

I just rode today with my brother who has a KDX 200 with the IMS pegs and Pro Taper high bars. He has the stock seat. We swithced bikes for awhile, and the seat makes a huge difference. It forces you up on the tank and gives it that aggressive feel.
'
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Seat it is then! I have some bar risers from a snowmobile laying around that I could maybe talk my dad into giving me. :please: Did those pegs make that much of a difference? Not too crazy about the price tag but KX pegs are always an option.

2001kdx, My ankle is doing better should be able to walk tomarrow.
(Playing football and had four guys fall on me while taking one guy down. When I landed I felt my toe touch my my shin) :sad:
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

Ondatrail,

Correct, GUTS seat is one of the best improvementes you can make. I have it and it is pretty good. Also, if you have the stock upper clamp switch the handlebar clamps 180 degrees (they are offset), that will move the handlebar forward 5 mm. The other option (more expensive) is to buy the Applied upper clamp for the KDX's which moves the handlebar position not only forward but higher.
Dejovi22
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

dejovi22, already flipped 'em. Now I just need to raise the funds to buy the foam.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I like the pegs. I've run wide pegs on all of my bikes. I put on the KX pegs at first, and they are fairly close to the same width as the IMS. I was not able to get them to move freely though, but I didnt mess with them too much. If you are interested in them let me know.
'
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

firffighter, I might be interested in the pegs, but it depends on the price as I don't even have the money for the foam now. What firmness did you get for the seat?
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I bought Krazyinski's seat which is tall, firm. I think it is comfortable, but I stand a lot and did come off of a KTM, which has a terribly uncomfortable seat. PM me in the pegs. I'll give you a good price.
'
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Hey guys, what KX pegs fit the KDX? How are they different?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

02's
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I used KX250 pegs. They are wider than stock, but not as wide as IMS. If I remeber right, IMS are 3" and stock are 2 1/2", and KX are 2 3/4".

They fit into the frame tabs, but are very snug. Because they are in there tighter than stock, they dont have any free-play to allow them to rotate up and back like stockers. I suppose if you bent the mounts on the frame slightly, they would be able to rotate, or you could grind the mounting end of the KX peg to get the same result. I did not play around with mine because I got some IMS for a screaming deal at our local MX shop.
'
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Another great way to change the cockpit - USD forks!

The top clamp of my YZ KYBs are aftermarket (Applied Racing) and I added some aftermarket risers so that I could stay with 7/8" bar setup. I'm just about where I want to be for handlebar height - I can stand on the pegs with my knees slightly bent and don't have to lean forward. A little higher and I can operate my controls more easily while standing.

I'm glad to hear that the Guts tall seat works so well. Sounds worthy of consideration.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

How much taller is the Guts tall seat? Why do you say to use the firm foam? How firm is it? How would the firmness of the stock KDX foam compare to the Guts soft, medium and firm?
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

In my opinion the stock seat foam of the KDX is soft and deteriorates quickly. I am not sure how much taller the GUTS seat foams are; I ordered mine standard and it is a bit taller than stock. Maybe half an inch? GUTS offers standard size and tall seat foam; they also offer seat covers. I would say the GUTS seat foam is firm without being too hard like the ones on the KTMs.
Dejovi22