220 Owners: Best Piston Kit Deal I've Found

Got questions? We got answers....
kawpaw

220 Owners: Best Piston Kit Deal I've Found

Post by kawpaw »

Hey-

This piston kit was recommended by another member:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI ... 0137077340

$99 free shipping! Includes top end bearing and pin, too. Mine shipped with a complete gasket kit too, even though it wasn't listed in the auction... :mrgreen:

Just thought I'd share.
________
Yamaha diversion history
Last edited by kawpaw on 10:51 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

Hi, bought the piston from them..but jus a question, do we need to state the size of the piston we buying for our KDX220???.....like A cylinder so need A piston or there's no such thing for wiseco???

Need to firm this up quick before they ship the piston over
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No such thing for the Wiseco's... your good! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

thanks for the prompt response.....hope the local mechanic can do a decent job on replacing the piston....wat else do I need for a top end rebuild or any specifics to watch out for?

I'm not a handy or DIY person so most or all bike stuff are sent to a bike mechanic locally.....but I do have doubts on their ability and professionalism sometimes....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I wouldn't let them do it if I had ONE SHRED of a doubt.

You can do this with a decent set of metric wrenches/sockets, a torque wrench, a set of feeler gauges, assorted screwdrivers etc, a service manual, some patience (and a little time), and the willingness to follow directions.

A top end kit like the one kawpaw mentions and a top end gasket kit is essentially what you need.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... do it yourself! It's real easy... if you have any questions... ask away! Pics help allot too!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

1) a wiseco gasket kit is already included in package from this ebay seller (good prices but slow shipping by the way)

2) I would not even trust my kawasaki dealer to do the top end!!!
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

****...slow shipping is bad cos shipping tis to my fren's home in sisters and the crate leaving on wednesday....looks like I'll miss this shipment to singapore and gonna sit there for a few months then

Anyway, I'm still nursing my femur injury tat I suffered on the KTM2 last year may....so not much riding for me luckily and tat could probably keep me off dirt til the bike is properly done up and my bones and muscles get better thou I really eager to get back riding dirt

No service manual around here since there's only 3 KDX220SR left in Singapore so if really gotta DIY, will have to scout for one and dedicate some time off-weekend to do it
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pay my way... put me up and I will do it for you! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GS

Post by GS »

There is the on-line service manual .....available, for a fee, I believe, at the top right hand corner of this page.

I haven't tried it personally, so can't provide feedback.
GS

Post by GS »

Inda....what is the 'it' that you are promising to do if he puts you up?
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

the airticket to Singapore would probably end up more then the US$1K I paid for this 97 KDX220SR here....hehe

But would be interesting to compare notes since you guys kept mentioning the KDX220R is a torque monster but I'm sure my KDX220SR is no where near there....on 14/45 with a 35mm carb prob off a KDX200 and FMF gnarly....had 2001 KTM200EXC and 98 WR400F before but certainly the torque is nowhere near....nevertheless, I'm sure its a much more fun and easier to ride bike that provides better traction and less wheelspin by poor throttle control from newbie like me after riding the bike on asphalt for the past few days....and the ride height is lower and nice for my frame of 1.7m
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

First off... change that gearing!

13 tooth counter sprocket and 48-50 tooth rear sprocket should put you in the ball park.

If you had a 33mm carb, it would show you what we get stock over here.

The RB modded carb get's you the best of both worlds but I don't think he will ship to Singapore... but he would ship to your US contact.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

have plans for replacing the gearing and prob will try 13/45 and if need more then move on to 13/48 as advised for more low end punch since the place I ride here are mostly single track trail with some climbs...not much luxury of broad fire road where we can WOT on 4th or 5th gear for my level of riding now.

Let me know if any of u guys coming over for holiday or work...would be nice to meet u guys up in person and prob go for some local rides here whereby bikes could be arrange and provide some pointers for noobs like me on maintenance or riding technique on this gem
Mountainman650

Post by Mountainman650 »

Another thing to do while your top-end is off is to disassemble
the KIPS and give it a good cleaning.The top-end isn't really hard
to do, just get the already mentioned supplies and take your time.
It's always good to work on your own stuff , it helps you learn how
things work and how to trouble shoot if you ever do have a problem.
Once you do it , you'll be amazed at how easy it is..There is a ton of good info on this site, that will help alot...
Good luck
Dave