KDX 250 forks

Got questions? We got answers....
richep

KDX 250 forks

Post by richep »

I bought a pair of 94 KX 500 forks that I want to put on my 94 KDX 250. They will bolt up to the triple clamps fine, but I'm not sure I can retain my front wheel. Will the lower castings on the bottom of the forks swap from fork to fork? The caliper mounts look the same, it's just how the axle clamps to it that is different.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Usually when a conversion is performed the forks, triple tree, front wheel and break are needed. But those two forks are extremely similar if you can just slip them in so I would at least try it. Another option would be to machine a new axcel to fit it.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX 250 forks

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
richep wrote:I bought a pair of 94 KX 500 forks that I want to put on my 94 KDX 250. They will bolt up to the triple clamps fine, but I'm not sure I can retain my front wheel. Will the lower castings on the bottom of the forks swap from fork to fork? The caliper mounts look the same, it's just how the axle clamps to it that is different.
Take lots of notes and pictures. I think you're one of the first, if not THE first, to make the swap. I'm sure there's other KDX250 owners that might consider swapping - I know one in particular!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

:wink:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Not sure if you can swap the bottoms or not. I know the axle wont work. The kdx has a straight axle, and the kx has one with a shoulder on it. Not sure about the wheel.........Now that i think about it, i beleive the only difference between the two, are the fork bottoms, and the springs. Not possitive though. Oh, and the trees. The kdx has only one pinch bolt on the bottom clamp, where the kx has two. Also, the kx upper bar clamps are solid.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
richep

Post by richep »

Wondering if I can just change the fork guts from one to the other. If I have to I will buy a kx axle and machine up some spacers. Thats not much of a concern. I tried removing the axle mounts at the bottom of the tube, but I couldn't get them to budge. I ordered new seals for the 500 forks, so when I get it all together, i'll give some results.