Electrical question

Got questions? We got answers....
pezvela

Electrical question

Post by pezvela »

93 KDX250SR......I have a wiring diagram and am curious if there is a way to power the system without cranking the engine? I have a birdsnest of wires that are in bad shape and am needing to find out what wires are what (previous owner spliced and cut at random) so I can install lights, turn signals etc...
Can I hook it up to a battery somehow with frying anything? If so, what voltage and where would I connect?
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Do you have a voltage meter? Thats what I would use.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A voltmeter measures existing voltage in a circuit...it doesn't supply any voltage.

You can hook up a battery as a voltage source and start poking around with a voltmeter to see where it goes, but I wouldn't recommend that. Not any size battery anyway. The problem with using a battery is their ability to source current. Yanno that 900CCA listing on the top? You don't want the ability to source 900 amps thru any wiriing harness...or anything that is attached to it.

Even a small 7.5Ah (amp-hour..it can put out 7.5 amps for one hour) can fry things.

Howabout a battery charger? A relatively small battery charger (6 amps maybe) would work well. For one thing, it isn't going to sink huge amounts of current..it will shut off before that happens. AND...they generally have an ammeter on them that tells you when current is being used. Example: You hook it up to a couple wires...it shows a 3 amp pull, but no lights are on...you might want to be looking pretty quick for where that 3 amps is going!

Suggestion: Disconnect what may be sensitive components: Voltage Regulator, CDI, light and ignition coils. No reason to possibly have them subject to any current load if you're simply sorting out wires.

AND...a battery charger WILL light any light you happen to hook up to it.

IF parts of that birds nest snarl are wires coming out of the CDI..avoid hooking anything other than expected inputs/outputs to them. You won't figure that part out without a manual. Even with a manual...it's not a given that wire colors and diagrams are correct.

Actually...I don't think I've seen a wiring diagram that was altogether correct (soldered junctions, wire color, plug configuration, grounds etc), yet!

Good luck!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
pezvela

Post by pezvela »

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna be stripping the bike down pretty soon but before I pull everything off I want to either rewire or sort out whats already there. The battery charger idea is a good one as I can use the wiring diagram to isolate the sensitive stuff then test the others. A diagram for the SR model would be nice but havent had any luck finding one, so I am using one for a US KDX200 and have to figure out the front and rear blinkers, horn and brake lights on my own. Pura vida and thanks again.
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

Hey pezvela; do you have a multi-meter (ac,dc,ohms,continuity,amps). if so you can use the continuity mode to check each conductor (wire).
TRY TO FOLLOW : take every conductor off its device (coil,lightbulb,cdi unit, etc) and ID-tag them on the conductor side and the device side so you know where they go when your done; now that you have every conductor removed from its device and tagged you set your multi-meter on the continuity mode and take one probe and place it on the one end of the conductor thats ID'ed and take the other probe and start searching by touching the other conductor till you get a AUDIBLE RING TONE from your meter and when you do; you just located the other end of the conductor, at that point you ID-tag it to mach the other end. HOPE THIS HELPS.....GOOD LUCK!!!!

p.s sorry; if its sounds confusing,but i'm better at doing then explaining!!!
JUST RIDE !!!
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

I'm in a similar situation with a bike i got for free. The kid wanted to make a motocross bike out of it and cut every single wire off the bike. The spark plug wire ends at some electrical connector. How would i get power to that? I enclosed a picture of the connector and the wires im working with. The connector is in the top center of the pic.

The guy said the bike ran.. if i can't get it running, im just going to part it out on ebay. There is none of these bikes on ebay. I know it's a cheesy bike, but surely someone will need parts for it. If there's none on ebay, would that push the pricing up for the parts?

1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry!! This is a KDX site..... :wink: A 2-smoke site at that.

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
rick albert wrote:Hey pezvela; do you have a multi-meter (ac,dc,ohms,continuity,amps). if so you can use the continuity mode to check each conductor (wire).
Thats what I meant!:roll:

AwfulSmokey, What is the brand/model/year of that bike? If it is a no-name you could try to fix it then just sell it to some kid on craigslist or the local paper.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller