buying a pumpkin

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've spent some time on a punkin...a 200. I really liked the seat the best!!
My brother-in-law lives in Portland. He doesn't ride. He's just a liberal.
Ha! Those folks up north (bordering the State of Jefferson) are generally a bunch of loony toons. That's where the three counties are that run the rest of the state! Buffoons, maroons and boobies!

If he COULD ride...it would prolly BE a punkin.......... :neutral:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I hardly classify Portland as a part of Oregon

Think it goes better with the Republic of Kalifornia
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

As a Portland firefighter, you cant even imagine what I have the good fortune of seeing and dealing with here in our fair city. It is not part of Oregon, California, or Earth as far as I am concerned. Fortunately, I have my own piece of heaven 30 min out of town. I have no neighbors, a great view of Mt. Hood, and can burn as much 2-stoke fumes into the ozone as I see fit.

BTW, my KTM200 seat was like sitting on a 2x4 :cry:
'
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

My brother-in-law and his wife (the wife was born and raised in Portland) decided that we needed to have a "green" Christmas this year in a manner that was very Earth friendly and would not contribute any excess burden onto the Earth and all that kind of BS. When their present arrived in the mail from Portland it was in a BIG BOX FULL OF STYROFOAM PEANUTS. We all got a big laugh out of that one.

I rode a CRF450X last weekend and it's seat was like a 2x4 also. I think most bikes are like that now-a-days.
Last edited by jc7622 on 01:21 am Feb 15 2008, edited 1 time in total.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

How much fuel was used to deliver said "green" gift? :wink:
'
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I've got an 08 200XC on hold for me at the shop. :wink: I can't wait to pick it up. :supz:

Enjoy your new ride!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
rick albert wrote:all i can say is............GOOD LUCK ! and save your PENNYS; your going to need every last ONE when it comes time to buy parts. don't misunderstand me the KTMs are very nice bikes, BUT it's going to need a lot more TLC than your KDX ever did. it's like comparing a race horse to a good old trail horse;that race horse is going to need a lot of attenion and money to say on it's GAME !!(sorry for the horse analogy)....re; i'm selling my KDX and KX to PAY for it.........( :? ??????? :rolleyes: ????????? :? ) "LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR SAYING."..... :roll: OH WELL IT'S YOUR TIME & MONEY :roll: !!!!!

p.s just trying to save you from the DARK FORCE .......GOOD LUCK !!!!

p.s.s watch out for those notorious over heating problems on the KTMs
I haven't found KTM parts to be much more expensive than parts for any other bike. Yep, KTM's have their flaws, but what bike doesn't. I sold my KDX for a Ktm 300 Exc, and the difference is like night and day. I would definately say the kdx is the reliable trail horse, but i can also say that the 300 is reliable too. Its like riding a super fast kdx, with an updated suspension. Powerband is very linear, like the kdx's, and the KTM is only 4 pounds heavier (Kdx 200 = 222lb's vs KTM 300 = 226lbs) (KDX 200 =222 vs. KTM 200 = 220lbs).

The Ktm has been no more maintainence than the KDX was. The only thing i've had to add to my Ktm was new seat foam, as mentioned earlier, the stock foam is like sitting on a 2x4.

To anyone who likes the KDX 200, try out a Ktm 200. I've rode Kdx's with every modification avail, but they still wouldn't run with a stock ktm 200. And for anyone who loves the kdx's linear power, but just wants more of it, jump on the 300.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 95 KDX is just as twitchy as my old 98 KTM was.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Which model 98? The 200? Most of the big updates on Ktm's were made in 2000.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The difference between that '98 and a recent KTM is night and day. Any KTM 2003 and newer, or especially the '07s and up are completely different. I still think theyre overpriced and overrated.
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:My 95 KDX is just as twitchy as my old 98 KTM was.... :wink:
Ill take your word for it. But i've never ridden a Kdx that will keep up with a ktm 200 or 250. I believe there is a dynochart on justkdx of a kdx fully modded vs. a ktm 200 w/ just a pipe. I think the Ktm 200 had just a hair more hp, and the kdx had a couple more ft pounds of torque.

Still, the ktm 200 stock is a powerful 200. Add all the mod's that the kdx had and then put them both on the dyno, and the kdx wouldn't even come close.
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:The difference between that '98 and a recent KTM is night and day. Any KTM 2003 and newer, or especially the '07s and up are completely different. I still think theyre overpriced and overrated.
Overrated in which department? I will agree they are over priced though.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Raw topend power.... the KDX is no where close...

Everywhere else... as good or better by the seat of my pants.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
jowens66 wrote:>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:The difference between that '98 and a recent KTM is night and day. Any KTM 2003 and newer, or especially the '07s and up are completely different. I still think theyre overpriced and overrated.
Overrated in which department? I will agree they are over priced though.
Simply for the fact that a lot of people think if you ride a 2-stroke off-road, you need to be on a KTM..... IMO a Jap 2-stroke MX bike does it just as good at a better price, a la KDX.

That said, I'd love to add a 200/250XC to my collection, maybe in a few years :)
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Cant bash them too much since they seem to be the only ones out there that will continue to develop 2-stroke technology.

I really liked the KTM200's I had. They have really nice components stock which is nice. They produce a ton of power for a 200cc 2-stoke (so much so, that I spent some time toning them down for woods, i.e. too pipey). Their suspension is nice for high speed riding, but I prefer the KDX for tight woods. The layout of the bike is really nice. The biggest thing for me was how light they feel. You can throw them around with ease in the woods which is their best feature IMO.

Now, the KDX for me is better in the suspension and linear power delivery department for woods riding. With a few added features, I have my layout set up nicely. The only thing I feel the KTM has on the KDX for tight woods riding is the light feel.
'
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

I agree, the 200 is pretty pippy in the woods. It takes some getting used to. Have you rode a 300? I would prefer the Kdx's power delivery over the ktm 200's. But the ktm 300 is just like riding the kdx except alot more power everywhere. With that being said, throwing a kdx motor off in a ktm or kx frame would make it nice and light and give it an updated suspension.

I don't agree, the only jap 2 stroke that is a great woods bike right out of the box was the KDX. Now ktm, gas gas, tm, and husquvarna (spelling) are the only ones who make 2 stroke woods bike that i can think of right off the top of my head.

CR's, KX's, YZ's are not good woods bikes, they cna't handle super tight single track like a offroad bike is. Though you can spend a little money and tone them down and make them a real nice woods bike, but it takes a fair amount of money. But you would come out with a really light bike.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Throw an Autoclutch on my RM and it'll run with 'em all in ST..... I've never acutally ridden a 200, but I hear it's real small when compared to 250's and whatnot, is this true?
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Its based on a 125 frame.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And a 125 engine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****