buying a pumpkin

Got questions? We got answers....
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Back in the day, I remember some guy telling me my RM400 was a "throw away bike". He was on a KTM... Pfft. That RM passed alot of KTM's that day in the wilseyville hills. Jap bikes are as good as they get IMO, and any bike needs to be dialed in suspension-wise and jetting wise based on where and how you ride. At least the Japanese knew that punkn orange was butt-ugly without having to be told so.
The KDX was a $4K bike that could, and still does....keep up with anything in the really tight stuff regardless of the bling on the competition. No one else has ever had such a well-rounded inexpensive competitive machine IMO. Not even close.
I had recently been mulling over getting a KX250F, but when I thought about kicking it over after a low-side flop, all I had to do was reconsider that the 220 will fireup with a quick jab way down low when you just don't have the room on a narrow ten inch wide side-slope single-track to do anything otherwise. Priceless.
And nothing else is better to get your arse back home after a horrible crash-filled day of nothing-goes-right riding. They're like owning a faithful horse in mechanical form - :prayer:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Well... now, being a person that lives in the state of Oregon and the city of Portland. I will take all the slams into consideration :twisted:

Ron
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I've tested several bikes, many before I went with my 220. Two bikes that I really liked was a KTM300 and a GasGas EC250. I tested the 250 and came close to buying before I bought the KDX. I didn't really get to test it as much as I would've liked but that was SMOOTH power, and plenty of it. I got to ride the 300 last late-summer. Lots of power - even without a hit the thing was a tad scary. 'Could get used to it, but I'd wear out more quickly. Course that probably has a lot to do with being old and out of shape.

But I gotta say I love this KDX. I've been mulling over moving into a 250 or 300 (and may get an mx bike for the track) but I've got a feeling that when I start riding again I'm not going to want to replace the KDX. It's forgiving and easy-going when I want it to be, but with all of Ron's goodies and the suspension mods it'll giddy up very nicely.

And I'm chompin' at the bit to ride again to say the least.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I hear that Jeb, and It'd be sweet if you joined the 250 club. The 250MX'er would become your friend not just at the track, but on the wide open type trails.

Just one thing - Don't sell that Kawi. :supz:
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

In my opinion KTM's are good bikes with "out of the box" approach to do things. I have never owned one but friends of mine are happy w them; however, parts are more pricey and tunning and setting require more knowledge and patience than (in our case) the KDX.

I love my KDX and will keep it, but as a new project I am planning to build a KX 285 set up for trails. The target would be (no suprise here) the KTM 300.

Hope you enjoy your 300 KTM. Worst case scenario, if you don't like it...you can always come back to what you know...the Kawi world.
Dejovi22
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
dejovi22 wrote:. . . as a new project I am planning to build a KX 285 set up for trails . . .
If you haven't already, check the newstand for the latest edition of Dirt Rider (maybe it was Dirt Bike). They feature a Wiseco YZ285. Sounds pretty cool, either flavor would be a heck of a bike!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Is a 285 a stroker? When did they start making the cranks? A stroker 250 w/ heavy flywheel would be the ultimate close ratio bike.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Remember when you could get a WR, RMX, or KDX? Those were the good old days.

I really believe that if Yamaha or Suzuki had put out a 250 off-road 2-stroke based on their highly successful YZ's and RM's, they would have sold very well.

I cant believe they are trying to convince us that a 280 lb., 450 4-stroke is the greatest off-road motorcycle ever made. What a bunch of horsepucky! Oh yeah they "feel light" :roll: , and they really are "reliable" :roll:
'
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

well said firfighter!
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

You know... I have thought about going to a bigger bike a few times as well and when the KLX450R came out I was excited to see another offroad Kawi. But, I think after all i have learned about bikes these past few years I would have chosen the KTM300 XC-W as well.

let us know how you like/dislike it and how it differs from our beloved KDX.

:supz:
==05 KDX220R==
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
RBD wrote:Well... now, being a person that lives in the state of Oregon and the city of Portland. I will take all the slams into consideration :twisted:

Ron
Oh **** did I say that?? Who's been on my computer??? :prayer:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

BTW, I do see that the 285cc is stock stroke after some research. Pretty cool...Must be on the newer motors. The older ones could only go 265....

I've always wanted a stroker 250....They do make them for micro-sprint cars for a small handful of engine makes/model eras...270cc/stock bore. OUT OF HAND pricey though.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

285? Naw, If you're gonna bore a bike to get more power, you should be doing it to that KDX..... 250 2-stroke motocrossers don't need more power. Even for woods, my RM has assloads more low-end torque than the KDX did. What these bikes really need for woods use is a WR tranny swap.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Even for woods, my RM has assloads more low-end torque than the KDX did.
With assloads more clutch work :mrgreen:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
RBD wrote:Well... now, being a person that lives in the state of Oregon and the city of Portland. I will take all the slams into consideration :twisted:

Ron
Oh **** did I say that?? Who's been on my computer??? :prayer:
Ya know, I didn't understand what Ron was getting at. Nooooowwwwww I doooooo............. Carvr and his precious State of Jefferson!!! Ha!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, wide trans would be nice! That's why I still have my T-Rex. That's what forces people to get KTM's etc. I don't think I would honestely buy a KTM close-ratio bike....Might was well go jap at that point and throw a few mods into the mix. EXC is a whole different story though. I'm sure a 285cc w/ stock-style to low-mid porting would grunt a close trannied first gear though!!! Like I said though I'd prefer stock bore/long stroke....That = torque! :supz: