Sticking Throttle

Got questions? We got answers....
reymund77

Sticking Throttle

Post by reymund77 »

Hi everyone, any idea how to prevent a sticking throttle on the KDX220?.....possible to fix in a twin cable throttle assy just like the XR4?

I've got a phobia on this as my last bike a KTM200EXC broke my femur when I got a sticking throttle at a bend on a single track....next thing I know I was down with a broken femur and crack hip bone...it all happens so fast and sudden that its just a second or two to pull clutch or hit the kill switch but was just caught in surprise

Any hope will be much appreciated.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

be sure:
1 your cable is not frayed
2 the cable housing is not full of dirt, oil... use some carb cleaner to clean it , lube the cable when it's dry
3 your throttle tube is clean and dry, NO grease.
4 put grease on the cable at the bend on the throttle
5 clean carb slide
shouldn't have to worry
my.02 cents:wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: Possible to fix..

Meaning a push-pull I suppose.

Sure, it's possible. ..meaning you can reengineer the whole system. Realistically? No.

The KDX throttle isn't known for sticking. It's not something you need to worry about. That said, I don't have the broken leg, huh?

In addition to the above list, DO make sure the cable retainer (white nylon piece) is properly seated at the top of the slide. That won't likely be a problem if you haven't had it apart. If you have, DO make sure the slot in the nylon piece is properly aligned with the cable..and that is sits FLAT on the cable holder (the piece that screws into the top of the slide).

A second option to hitting the kill..and maybe more 'natural'. If your throttle is stuck, the first think you likely think of is stopping. JAM that back brake! That'll stop it.

That doesn't work too good if you're airborne......... :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Need another opinion? No? TOO BAD!!! You're gonna get it anyway. I recommend you use a dry lubicant. These are usually a graphite type with an alcohol carrier to distribute the dry lube. Using a dry lube prevents dust from attraction to the cable and it's contact points. BTW, I recommend the disassembly of the carb slide to clean it all properly. Seems every time I take my slide apart, there is a mud-like layer on a part of the slide itself. Could be the throttle sticking is not the cable but instead is the slide sticking in the carb body. Used to happen all the time with the carbs on the KX500's . I think they were the D slides or Flat slides; can't recall but they did stick at just the right harmonic of vibration. Then WATCH OUT!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Pull in the clutch! Single track you should alway have fingers on the clutch and brake levers. No excuses! place the kill switch where you can easily hit it with your thumb while holding the clutch. (many times I've had the engine scream for 30 seconds or so when the bike flew into brush and pulled the throttle cable taut and still no blown engine). Even if you can't find the kill switch fast enough the worst that will happen is a blown engine. That being said I've never had a throttle stick (without the fore-mentioned provocation) on a KDX - from 86 on up. I too like a clean and dry throttle tube on a sanded smooth handlebar (if it's painted).

Another reason not to own a silly auto-clutch! :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Seems every time I take my slide apart, there is a mud-like layer on a part of the slide itself.
:hmm:
I recommend you use a dry lubicant.

And of course, there is NO relation t'wixt the two!! That couldn't be!!! :shock:

I don't lubricate my cables. Everytime I've done it, cable failure was right around the corner. I do replace them every couple years..no amount of lubrication is going to prevent a multiple strand cable from wearing the inside of the housing. AND..when you flush all that junk down the tube..you end up with a mud-like layer in places you don't want it.

..No..I don't know of a place you ever WOULD want such a thing. Some folks like it, evidently....... :roll:

Banshee throttles are famous for stickage...that's where Yamaha's Throttle Override System (TORS) system came from. If you think a one-cylinder 2-smoke WOT stuck is fun...try two! :wink:

Consider the source

reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

thanks for the many comments...check with the local mech here and best assurance now is replaced wif new throttle carb, strip the carb and clean it as well as the throttle assy...guess will stick to that and keep to the regime of maintaining it so it will be good to me
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Seems every time I take my slide apart, there is a mud-like layer on a part of the slide itself.
:hmm:
I recommend you use a dry lubicant.

And of course, there is NO relation t'wixt the two!! That couldn't be!!! :shock:
I thought I made it clear that the rider is to remove the cable from the carb when cleaning and lubing the cable; hence the reference to disassemble the carb. How can a DRY lube attract dirt to form mud any ways? I've always thought that air was being ingested into the carb from the throttle cable opening and unfiltered air was depositing that dirt. Is there any reason to believe air is NOT being drawn in either through the cable tube itself or the loose fit where the cable meets the carb? Just wondering......
I'm not a know-it-all after all...... ha!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I guess somebody has to be the odd ball

I use Triflo on my cables whenever they get a lil sticky

Got one of those fancy cable luber thingy's

Works great so far
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How can a DRY lube attract dirt to form mud any ways?
Isn't that a wonderment?

I have used dry lubricants in the past..and always end up with the same kind'a mess you refer to. When I don't use any (lube)...I don't have any (crud).

If I do something 1/2 dz. times (that everyone does and everyone knows you're supposed to do and who DOESN'T do it anyway?) with always the same result (bad)...I stop doing it.

Consider the source