Spare O-rings for chain?

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spare O-rings for chain?

Post by Colorado Mike »

Like a dumb-a$$ I lost one of the o-rings on my master link today. Does anyone know if bike shops carry spares ? Or maybe it's a common size that I could get from Home Depot.

Also, has anyone found a good chain-lube that doesn't attract dirt? The PJ-1 I'm using is a magnet for dirt.

Thanks,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Mike, I don't use any lube on my O-ring. All the lube the chain needs is already inside, sealed by the O-rings. All I do is spray the chain with WD after a wash to get the water out. For a real cleaning, I soak it in kero, brush with a parts brush, then wipe off with paper towels.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You'll proly have to buy another Master link to get a o-ring. I use that Chain Wax... seems to work pretty good.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you read anything about dry film lubricants? I would suggest some lube even on ring chains because they need lube between the plates, too.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd take the one remaining o-ring down to your favorite megalomart and match it to the closest size in the o-ring case. Should be all of 20 cents.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

m0rie wrote:I'd take the one remaining o-ring down to your favorite megalomart and match it to the closest size in the o-ring case. Should be all of 20 cents.

-Maurice
Good advice! :prayer: Last time I changed chains, I too lost one of those little critters on my garage floor. :? Actually, it's not lost...it's in hiding, and one of these days it'll show up...one day after I desperately needed it. :shock: Luckily, I found a replacement in an old O kit I bought years and years ago.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Just one more reason to buy that "spare" master link for including with your trail tools. They come with O-rings that can be borrowed as necessary.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Good advice, Thanks!
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I carry a spare in my fender bag.

...don't carry a chain breaker, though..so don't ask me what good it does to have a spare link.

Go to your local bike shop and ask if they have some lying around. They probably do. If not..you're stuck getting a master link which should come with rings. I sahy SHOULD because you should make sure it does. I got one that did NOT have any o-rings in it once. Seems someone had 'borrowed' them for use somewhere else. Ended up ordering another one.

re: hardware store:

Last time I was there, I looked for the RK X-Ring drawer...but missed it! :roll:

Point is...I wouldn't count on that. Size is going to be critical. It's hard enough getting the things squeezed together correctly WITH the right parts..lot alone one that's a bit fat.

Besides, is the service application for o-rings on O-Ring chains anything like your one-each HW store variety? I dunno...maybe it is...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Is it really going to hurt anything if you don't replace it?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I ran my master link without o-rings for about 12 months before I replaced the whole chain and it was still going strong.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Did it groove the heck out of your chain guide? I would think the master link would tend to float one way or another as the chain made its way around the sprockets until it got to the chain guide.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Probably groove it a lot less...AND have less wear on the clip than it would WITH the o-rings on it.

For whatever reason...the chain guide being (whatever it is) and the master link being metal, you'd think the chain would wear a groove in the guide and you would be done.

But...no.

I've replaced clips more than a few times when the chain was fine..but the clip was ready to fall off due to it getting completely worn out rubbing on the guide.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I went to the shop and picked up a master link set that came with the rings. The counter dude just wrote it up for $.99, which was a nice discount over the $4.50 they normally sell for. So far I've spent close to 5 grand in there, so them discounting the link made me feel all tingly inside. :wink:
Mike

'04 KDX220