Best needle for stock 220

Got questions? We got answers....
kawpaw

Best needle for stock 220

Post by kawpaw »

Quick question-

What is the best needle choice for a stock 220? Do the CEL and DEL needles work as well on the 220 as the 200? Is there a better choice for a properly jetted stock machine? Should I just stay with the stock needle?

Remember, stock pipe and carb, no mods (with the exception of reeds) :rolleyes:
________
Bmw Manufacturing Co. Spartanburg
Last edited by kawpaw on 10:49 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I believe the CEL is the smoother one, the DEL give a bit of hit (fun hit).
As far as I know, CEL and DEL are better than stock
kawpaw

Post by kawpaw »

Thanks for the reply. Is there any difference in which I should choose based on the smaller carb equipped 220?
________
Iolite Vaporizer Review
Last edited by kawpaw on 05:51 pm Mar 06 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I believe the CEL is the smoother one, the DEL give a bit of hit (fun hit).
Turn that around.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawpaw

Post by kawpaw »

Indawoods wrote:>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I believe the CEL is the smoother one, the DEL give a bit of hit (fun hit).
Turn that around.... :wink:
Thanks Inda, that's what I thought.

Guess I'm gonna get both from RB, along with his airscrew. Wish I had more $$$, love to get his carb and head mods.
________
Website Design
Last edited by kawpaw on 10:50 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I put in a CEL in my 220 before the RB mods and it made a difference . . . but that was with a rev pipe though
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kawpaw

Post by kawpaw »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:I put in a CEL in my 220 before the RB mods and it made a difference . . . but that was with a rev pipe though
How big a difference, and where in the powerband? I've read the CEL hits lower in the band, while DEL hits higher. I can't really rev that high with the stock pipe and head, so I guess a CEL is in order.

BTW, I'm not looking for miracles to happen from a needle install. I've just heard about how big a difference it can make in power AND delivery.
________
JEEP HONCHO HISTORY
Last edited by kawpaw on 10:50 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Here's a decent thread on what the CEL is about; especially note canyncarvr's explanation of needle angle. My personal experience was that it added a little hit in the midrange which I enjoy. The stock needle, as it turns out, isn't the needle for optimal performance (yes, we all wonder why). The DEL is probably a better choice for a needle during poor traction conditions, but the CEL adds a bit of that yee-haw. Not enough yee-haw to make you go "uh-oh" but enough to make you smile a little.

Keep in mind that the hit on a KDX ain't like the hit on a modern mx bike whether you're talking 200 or 220. Especially when your bike is stock. A few mods -particularly the pipe and then the RB mods - liven things up a bunch but it's still mild compared to, say, a YZ250.

Get both the DEL and CEL, easy to swap and try out, and you'll have needles for a variety of applications!!

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... hlight=cel
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
bmase

Post by bmase »

Here is a really inexpensive place to get needles and jets.

http://www.psep.biz/store/keihin_jet_needles.htm

I like the CEL the best, the stock is ridiculous. I have ran the CEL with stock, rev, and torque pipes. It will liven the stock pipe up, but the aftermarket pipes will make a further difference. Try something like a 142/40 with the CEL, I think you will like it. Thought the DEL was smooth, but too mellow.

I was beginning to think the front wheel did not come up on this bike before I did some of these self mods. But before you throw caution to the wind, take the advice from others on this site, and do one change at a time to your 220. It will help you understand the direction you need to be going in.

2003 KDX220, PC Works Pipe or Gnarly Rev (Switch back and forth and can't decide, but lean toward the PC pipe) Amsoil Eliminator, CEL 145/42, 2nd from top
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

142/40 sounds about right; a 140/40 or 140/38 could even be better when July/August rolls around. Do a throttle chop for best results

CLICK FOR PICS!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

How much of the above needle discussion would apply to a 200 with a pipe?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Pretty much all of it. Main jet would be a bit richer around 152 to start.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bmase

Post by bmase »

I agree with "Jeb". I usually bring down the size of the jets when the weather gets hot. A 142/40 or 140/40 should be about right with the 220. I also run it without the snorkel, and just check the filter regularly. The throttle response is night and day compared to the stock bike I bought. Now it is a lot of fun, but I don't really worry about the pucker factor. The power is very crisp and predictable.
ga4boats

Post by ga4boats »

Great post, thanks for the information.

Brent.
Ride hard and ride safe!