Wiring your headlight switch

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FWIW... The circuit is holding up fine... no problems at all and the stock system keeps up with the LED tail/brakelight fine too!

I think you would need a relay to split the power with an additional VR to run the brake light completely separtately or you could modify what I have with additional wire but it would be messy.
It's up to you and really doesn't take a rocket scientist to mod the wiring but you must certaintly be careful or it could get expensive if you start frying components!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Wiring your headlight switch

Post by blimpman »

Do you still have the picture that went with this post? I am looking to do the same thing to my KDX220

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:Hey guys.. I came up with a circuit that allows you to control just the headlight with the lighting switch and keep the rest of the system hot. It took me a little while to figure out how the voltage regulator actually worked in their wiring but I have determined that there are no separate circuits at all in the wiring. When it goes live from the magneto, the voltage regulator puts anything above 12 volts to ground.

In this pic you can see how I got around their wiring to be able to use my brake light all the time.

The two wires to the right normally aren't connected together.
The yellow is from the magneto and normally goes to the headlight switch and the red one is the return and makes the entire circuit hot if fed.

To the left you see the switches wires (yellow and red) I have the red feeding into the hot on the headlight and the yellow going to the normal hot headlight feed. (Making the switch only switch the headlight)
The black ground wire is in the circuit as normal.

The tail light and brake light are alway hot on this setup. Mine is a LED setup so burnout is not an issue or so I hear and pulls very little current.

So... what do ya think? :razz:

Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What are you talkin' about Willis? :mrgreen: :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

Well, the picture was DOA this AM when I looked at it.:oops:
OK now...

I am interested in the LED lights you used. Have Part numbers?

Willis has left the building. He is out back painting the bus. :mrgreen:
>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:What are you talkin' about Willis? :mrgreen: :wink:
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just messin' with ya... I fixed the pics.... :lol:

I got the LED tailight from http://www.kevinscycleracing.com

Baja Designs LED tailight/brake light combo

But checking the site, I don't see the exact one I bought. Mine has a clear lens with clear LEDs that light up red.

You might call them and ask....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Is that a BUTT PLUG?

Always seems funny when I see one of those
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
tony_d123

Post by tony_d123 »

Cool looking bike!

What rear mudguard have you fitted? Can't see any mention of it in your gallery.