cold start

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

cold start

Post by scheckaet »

When it's below freezing, I'm having a hard time starting the bike. Usually it start on the 2nd-3rd kick, but last week I tried to kick it 40-50 times with no success.
I had to pull the plug and warm it up with my lighter then turn the gas off with the choke on to get it going after 10 kick. :?
Everybody that day had to get pulled by 4 wheeler to get their bike going though (2 smokes and thumpers alike). (proly the only time a 4 wheeler will ever be usefull for sumthin :mrgreen: )
So, question is: any other tricks you may have to share? Or is it simply a jetting issue?

Thx
wilf

PS: gas was fresh and RB moded
CEK needle, 2nd clip from top
pilot: 45 (I think I'll check when I get home)
main: 155
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

When it's cold, spark gap is important, and I would think you need a richer pilot. I run a 40 I think cuz I want my bike to start easy, on account of my being clinically diagnosed as profoundly lazy. And my bike is run way up higher than yours (altittudenally speaking). try a richer one and see what happens. don't forget your air screw.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I have the same problem with my '01 200KDX. I'd kick that darn thing until I was too tired to do it anymore. On the advice of others, I start it up much easier now. I tip the bike over until fuel leaks out the overfow onto the floor. I kick it a couple of times(3 or 4). If it doesn't light right away, I do it again. It starts much easier now.
Joe
'01 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

How did it run once started? YES, you will need richer jetting all around when below freezing if it was jetted well in warmer weather. You have to be careful in this situation as you can easily lean-stick a motor like this! This is why bikes come jetted so fat from the factory...THey have to ensure damage will not occur in extreme conditions such as selling the bike to someone in alaska. :wink:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

cold weather and kicking

Post by treelimb »

Perhaps i will now jinx myself but thus far,cold weather kicking has been a non-issue for me.This past week we had temps in the 14-17 degree range and I was out riding in it.One night i tried to just use the full moon and stars for light.That was different but preety dog gone cool to me at least.
Anyway,the cold weather has yet to play havoc on my 1997 KDX200.Perhaps you could drain the junk from the bottom of the carb and/or remove the bowl,clean the bowl, rinse it real well w/fresh gas by leaving petcock on,and then screw the plug back in or reinstall entire bowl assembly dependent on the route you took.
Perhaps there is trash in the float area or near so when drain plug is out,spray carb cleaner up into carb from below and allow the gas from tank to wash it all out by leaving petcock open for a short duration.I don't know.
Perhaps your gas is not the best even though the pump declares it to be 93 octane.No telling what is in those underground tanks nowadays w/the prices of gas and all.Any bad gas at all will play havoc on everything in ESPECIALLY real cold weather.Try another brand of high test gas.
But anyways------
Ain't nothing like riding in the COOLD weather.
Good luck on getting it straight.
treelimb
ps-use those hand warmers in your gloves and the foot warmers in your boots.About $1.97 per @walmart.Best invention since the female during the winter at least.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Agreed. Spark gap is important.

What's yours? If you don't have an aftermarket lighting coil, I wouldn't think you would want more than .028"..and that on a new plug. 'Safer' with less than that. Maybe even spec!

I see no mention of prime kicking.. call it a 'prestart' routine that consists of kicking the bike over (choke on) with the kill button depressed. How many times?

Depends on how cold it is..........

You learn what it takes depending on conditions over time.

Use of a fine-wire plug (-EG is fine) helps. It's easier to spark off a 'sharp' edge than a round one.

When did you change your plug last?

A pre-start air screw adjustment works well sometimes. Turn it in say 1/2 a turn (if you're not at the SSS already), turn back out after it starts. If you're at the SSS and have a cold start issue, turn the AS in 1.5 or so.

The throttle is a cold start tool, too. If you have reason to think you've wetted yourself..a few kicks at WOT will help 'freshen' things up inside.

Here's another cold-start trick. Move your bike back and forth in gear...2nd gear maybe. The movement of the piston under such impetus seems to be 'quicker' than what you get from the kicker..and that movement ensures your reeds get UNstuck if they ARE stuck. Take any reed cage that's been sitting around for awhile..and is cold..and the petals tend to get 'glued' to the cage. That's not too helpful when it comes to making the thing GO.

See? All sorts of things to keep 'ya busy...or at least thinking about whilst you're kick-kick-kicking. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!