Rear suspension links for KDX's

Got questions? We got answers....
dejovi22

Rear suspension links for KDX's

Post by dejovi22 »

I just came across a “rear suspension link” for KDX’s that lowers the bike “1. I have seen products like this for CRF’s, KX’s and old YZ’s; never for KDX’s. I am wondering if anyone has tried this mod and if there are positive results in terms of handling and balancing the geometry of the bike. Do KDX's really need lowe rear set up to improve handling?

Note: I am not vertically chanllenged. In my case, I am looking for the improvement in performance that lowering the rear suspension might offer.

Tks,
Dejovi22
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC has em... he's a short feller...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
danfree

Post by danfree »

I purchased the Kouba links for mine. #2, I believe. From what I've read, the lowering links will probably NOT improve handling. The Kouba links manual suggests that the lower you want the seat height (i.e. longer links), the less aggressive you should ride. I am not an aggressive rider by any means. Actually I am more of a beginner. So I do not ride well enough for the links to hamper my "style".
I just didn't feel comfortable not being able to touch the ground when stopped. I'm 5'6". But as I do get a little better, I am finding most of my near miss injuries are happening when I try to touch the ground (when moving). So I am thinking of putting the original links back on soon. I can tell 'dabbing' may be a very bad habit. I guess they are kind of like training wheels.
I guess the short answer to your question is, "Don't get 'em if you don't need 'em."
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

danfree and Jose Delgado, how tall are you?
Edit: Nevermind, 5'6.
i don't know if you'd really need a lowering link, I'm 5"7 and don't have any trouble...I want my feet on the pegs anyway :mrgreen:
Keep'em feet on the pegs and practice your balance at low speed :wink:
Last edited by scheckaet on 08:14 pm Jan 28 2008, edited 2 times in total.
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

danfree,

Thanks for the imput.

I got a reply from Jeff Fredette, I guess it improves stability:

"lowering the rear would make it more stable but at the same time the rear tire wiull bottom into the fender. the handling stock is best but you will have a little head shake.
jeff"

Also, the Kouba web site has the following information:

"On the KDX200/220 the KDX1 links are primarily for aggressive riders that want better performance from their rear suspension. The KDX3 links are more for lowering purposes for lighter and not so aggressive riders."

I will keep researching to find out more; I think if set up correctly handling should be better.
Dejovi22
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

scheckaet,

I am 5"10
Dejovi22
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

5'10, shouldn't have any trouble with stock link. Make sure you set your sag properly thaough, makes ahuge difference in handling.
If still you have trouble when you stop, you can shave the seat a bit :wink: or wear bigger shoe sole :mrgreen:
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

scheckaet,

Thanks for the advice; I will try different sag settings. The reason why I started wondering about this is because other model bikes benefit when changing the linkage componets. After all, if my bike can handle better for only $40, I think it is work to at least figure it out if it is worth it.
Dejovi22
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Set your race sag 1st: 100 mm
then your static sag: 30-40 mm
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What I HAVE is Devol pull rods (1.5mm longer than OEM I believe). The bike dropped a bit over 1/4".

I read references to being lower meaning it handles better. Why? Why assume that a lower center of gravity equates to improved handling?

I think the point has been missed.

The 'handles better' part relates (at least in part) to the change in shock movement that results from changing the suspension geometry.

Exaggerate the situation to show the effect. Imagine how hard it would be to make a shock work valve-wise if the shock piston never moved over 1/4". Wouldn't be much fluid moving in such a case..so the control of the fluid would have to be 'tighter'..so...what would happen to any 'plush' part of the initial stroke if the entire stroke was only 1/4"?

I can't say I noticed some huge change in shock performance when I put the Devol rods on. I didn't. I notice a far greater improvement in handling after a shock service. In fact, I did put the Devol rods on to shorten the bike a tad, for reasons Inda has already pointedly outed.

Lowering the rear of the bike 1" is way too far unless it's for a very light rider. If your shock works at all like it's supposed to, you will run out of room if you take that much out of the suspension equation. You've ridden a bike with a bottoming suspension? Would you consider such an occurrence to be a matter of 'improved' handling?

Hardly.

At 5'10" you don't need a shorter bike. Spend the $40 (Devols are more than that) on a good revalve. If not that, spend it on a shock service.

BTW...free sag follows race sag. Set the race sag first for your handling preference, the free sag will be whatever it ends up being. If it's wrong...you need to change the shock spring.

Another btw..my bike has never had a speck of headshake..OEM rods or no..at speeds approaching 80mph...on asphalt!

When I first got the bike I rode with another KDX'r that had headshake on his bike (same year, same model) that he NEVER got rid of.

There's been a whole lott'a assumin' goin' on based on some of the statements I've read on this thread. You know the result of that...right?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

canyncarvr,

Thank you for the reply. That is the beauty of this site, it is possible to get different opinions and points of view before experimenting with something.
Dejovi22
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You bet. Some are different opinions..some are points of view...

..some are just facts.

Even when they aren't!!!

I thought I made a mistake once...but I was wrong. :wink:

(thass'a joke, son)

Mostly the intention was to warn against generalities. 'you will have a little head shake' I don't think was meant to mean what was actually said. There is a big difference between, '..you may...' and '..you will..'

Nit picking?

How 'bout 'attention to detail'. Such attention paid gets you a machine that works better than anyone that mechanics on their bike in generalities.

BTW...I'm not uncommonly wrong..and I appreciate any correction.

Make sure you're right about it, though. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!