Headlight Q

Got questions? We got answers....
MXOldtimer

Headlight Q

Post by MXOldtimer »

Anyone know what years this KDX headlight shroud belongs to?

My 06 headlight shroud bolted on and the plastic mounts broke in my crash. Someone e-mailed me he had this one for sale but doesn't know the year. This one uses strap (i guess) as shown in the picture to mount. Will the ones that use the straps work on my 06?

Thanks for any info.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Must be the gay version... are you sure you want that? :mrgreen:

Proly off of a KLX or something... should work though...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

That's what i have on my bike right now, I think it's the UFO version IIRC.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:That's what i have on my bike right now, I think it's the UFO version IIRC.

Do the straps wrap around and hook back on the shroud itself or are there mounts on the T-clamps? I guess that's my concern as how it attachs to the Forks.

Thanks
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My brother has the one with the straps on his KDX. They dont hold as well as the brackets. You get some flopping around, but it does hold.
'
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I am going to guess it is somewhere between 1984 and 1989. I say that because those were years that Miami Vice was on the air :grin:
alistair

Post by alistair »

im pretty sure klx's are rubber mounted..usally with rubber straps they rap around and clip/hook on to the other part of the strap,

one thing to keep in mind is if the straps are the right size for your forks, are they for right side up forks(standard) or upside down forks(kx)
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

re; the gay version

Post by treelimb »

WOW indawoods.that was cold.that was relevent.that was asked for w/o asking for it.I laughed enough to bring tears to my eyes.THANKS.
regardless of the year,i was going to guesstamate around 1997 +/- because the shell MINUS the decals looks about that year.
I mounted a UFO on my infamous 1997 and eliminated the mere thought of it being a bit loose by wrapping a cable tie around the area of the fork most obvious for mounting said headlight shell that should be MINUS the decals.I then clipped the cable ties,making sure the part of tie that is largest mounts durectly under the the area where the rubber strap connects together.Sort of like wrapping a dozen turns of duct tape around the forks w/o wrapping a dozen turns of duct tape around the fork.
HEY- who has a stock head for a 1997 KDX200 that they want to sell? I need to buy one so i can send it off for that RB-DESIGNS head mod.Then in the return mail,I 'll be expecting that head mod AND an A/S carb.(after paying for both of coarse).Any ideas on where i can locate a stock head on the reasonable cost end of things?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
signed a desperate
treelimb that has MONEY burning a hole in my chain drive wallet.
SenterCutt

Post by SenterCutt »

yeah, that was pretty good Inda. Got me chuckling pretty good as well.

TreeL, I am in the process of trying to sell my 2000 KDX 200 which has the RB carb mod and if I can't get what I want for it then I will probably be parting it out. So, if it isn't gone in a couple of weeks, i will PM you.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I used straps on my OEM shell after I busted the mounts off it (the second or third time). The straps were indeed for the larger USD forks, but you can make them work if you jerry-rig some kind'a spacer thingy. I used a couple pieces of hi-density packing material.

The little tabs you see near the loops are what you PULL on to get the loops over the nubbins on the other side of the strap (that you can't see in the pic).

It will likely move around a bit. ...which is a whole lot better when it comes to surviving a tree-intercepts than is the hard mount job.

That same 'moving' part makes it ADJUSTABLE for light beam aimin'!! ...considering that the adjusting screw/spring for that purpose is already busted.

Neat!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Well, I wont be needing a headlight shroud after all because I played MacGyver again.
Took my broken shroud, some plumbers tape, rivet gun, and some OSI Quad caulking and started working.

One of the long mounting tabs was broke off but luckily I had a little 1/2 inch piece still attached to the plate. I used P tape and rivets on both side. I had to put one rivet through the face.

The other side of the # plate was broken on the bottom. Used more P tape and caulk.

Bottom I didn't think the caulking was needed.

Finished product only has a couple rivet heads showing from the front all the ugly is inside. Dab of paint and the rivet heads and they'd almost disappear but I wont worry about'm.

Saved a few$'s

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now that's done...you can get on that honey-do list.

Ooops...wrong NWetter.....

I fixed mine a few times. The increased rigidity made it break more spectacularly the next time!

All it needs now is a paint job to match the one you pictured. Doesn't everybody love a 'happy' headlight shell?

:hmm: That IS what Inda meant...right?

Re: heads

Give Fredette a call? Keep an eye on eBay. Don't see an 'H' 200 head at the moment, but I'm sure they show up from time to time.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!