Rings Seating

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rings Seating

Post by jc7622 »

I was reading some older posts about re-doing the top end. I came across a post made by canyncarvr:
A good bit of blow-by on the piston...a sign of rings not seated very well. You might consider an alternate break-in procedure... Rings have to be loaded to seat...it takes pressure to do the job. Old hat, but it's combustion pressure getting behind the ring, forcing it against the cylinder that mates the surfaces. Any escaping gas is lost power. If it (mating) doesn't happen right off (break-in) it's not going to happen.
What is the best way to assure the rings getting seated during break-in? Did I also read that you are not suppose to use a ball hone on these cylinders? If not (not use the hone that is - not, not read that) then what do you do to the cylinder prior to putting it back together?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I just use a bit of scotch-brite. No ball hone use. I think the balls will bang into the edges of the ports and goober them (the edges of the ports) up.

I had one that looked terrible; the guy ran without oil and siezed it. I used 600 grit emory cloth to get the worst of it off and put it back together with new rings and piston as a "temporary" ride, almost a year ago. Runs good.

My take on break in is to run a couple or three thermal cycles- run it 10 to 15 minutes and let it cool. When running it I push it pretty hard. It usually won't want to rev out at first and I won't push that, but after a couple of cycles it'll take off and be good to go.
I sure wouldn't let it idle for 10 minutes and then treat it "gently"

There are about as many opinions on this topic as there is what kind of 2-stroke oil to use. The above is my opinion and experience only.

By the way, if you don't use Golden Spectro at 40:1 your motor will blow up :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Ride it like you stole it! :supz:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I break mine in very similarly to what KarlP does and I've never had a problem. The only difference is that in the hilly terrain where I ride, I won't go more than about 5 minutes or so at first - even then the cyl can get pretty warm. I spit on the cyl to check how hot it gets. I try not to let it get hot enough to sizzle (even through the water jacket). After about 20-30 minutes worth of cycles it stays cooler. No blowby or galling issues ever.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Just be sure to warm up the motor before riding it like you stole it. 2 or 3 20 minute rides with cool downs between and she'll treat you right.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What is the best way to assure the rings getting seated during break-in?
I think that canyincarver guy had it right. He's one fart smeller, he is.

Of course, it wasn't HIS idea...but I think had a link to a write-up about the 'fast' break-in process where you got the quote from.

..and anyone that's anyone knows Golden Scrotum oil sucketh most large. :rolleyes:

btw...EG has said he uses a ball hone. What's important is the ball hone diameter. The hone to NOT use is your one-each 3-bar hone. Well...unless the stones are about 8" long. That would be good.

Dress the port edges by hand.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!