AUTOCLUTCH ANYBODY ????

Got questions? We got answers....
rick albert

AUTOCLUTCH ANYBODY ????

Post by rick albert »

Hey everybody; just got a quick question.........anybody out there running an autoclutch on a kdx and if so how do you like it......thanks for reading :butthead:
JUST RIDE !!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ask skipro. that is if he hasn't run off to NZ yet
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There's several threads on the Auto Clutch including a complete installation with photos on this site somewhere. If you can't find it, or do find it and still have questions, let me know. I found the auto clutch to be the single best improvement to my dirt bikes. I would sooner have the autoclutch than all the other mods put together. Those that beg to differ don't own one.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I just today looked up everyone on this site who has an autoclutch or may have run one. Not many out there. I think I am going to add one to my 220 this Spring, so I am looking for the autoclutch guys to chime in on this one as well.
'
rick albert

AUTOCLUTCH

Post by rick albert »

Me to guys;......if anybody out there wants to get rid of there EFM clutch let me know .....i talked to Garry over at EFM a few weeks ago (very nice guy) and he told me that the very first autoclutch that his company made was for the KDX !! also talked to Jeff Fredette about the autoclutch on the KDX and he said its GREAT for the real tight stuff but NOT SO GREAT for the MX track, also very expensive - $ 500.00 to $1000.00......he also said to STAY AWAY from the REVLOC clutch !!!!!! he was riding a KX 250 with a REVLOC in it and it GRENADED THE TRANSMISSION !!!!.....thanks for reading :butthead:
JUST RIDE !!!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I don't own one and never rode with one. Therefore I think they suck, and will make your dog give birth to weasels. I'm not trying to scare you, but in extreme cases, they have been known to be Democrat weasels.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

Hey Skipro3 where did you say all the nittygritty info was on the autoclutch ??????? i can't find it :roll:
JUST RIDE !!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's hard for me to imagine that I used to put this much into a post. I'm much lazier now, almost 2 and a half years later.

I enjoyed reading all that again. Read the whole thread Rick. Lots of good info clear to the end. Of my input that is.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
rick albert

THANK YOU !

Post by rick albert »

THANK YOU EVERYBODY; for the input,but i guess i wasn't real clear on what kind of data i was looking for; i understand the mechanics of a centrifugal force clutch.(nice pictorial service info Skipro3) :supz:
i use to be a motorcycle mechanic for a YAMAHA dealer along,long time ago in a galaxy far,far away during my moto-cross/jedi days (aaahhhhh are YOUTH;every thing just seemed much simpler back then....) before becoming a HIGH VOLTAGE TECH. (allot more MONEY) but here again I TOTALLY,TOTALLY APPRECIATE all your input !!!!! but what i'm really looking for is info on the performance of the clutch on the KDX 200; (ie;) rocks,logpiles,tight trees,up-hills,down-hills
mud holes,etc;.....i rode my buddys '07 300exc with a rekluce on are practice loop and I FELL IN LOVE !!!!(i think it was LOVE or maybe it was LUST) with the clutch NOT the bike...anywho....i knew it was the HOT setup for a larger bore bike, but i don't know how it would react on a smaller bore bike like my '06 200 where you need to fan the clutch sometimes to keep it on the band or when your jumping out of a creek bed onto the embankment,but need to cross that BIG LOG right at the edge of the water before the bank (you all know what i'm talking about).........any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!! (my '06 200 cylinder is on its way to FRP to become a 220) ..........thanks for reading :butthead:
JUST RIDE !!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:I don't own one and never rode with one. Therefore I think they suck, and will make your dog give birth to weasels. I'm not trying to scare you, but in extreme cases, they have been known to be Democrat weasels.

Amen.

I don't own one, either..but have rid one anyways. The 200 is too small, imo. The 220 was barely big enough...a lot of RRrrRRrrrRRrrr going on. Ski's 250 did indeed seem to fit VERY well with the auto feature...democrat weasels and all.

You can adjust the engagement point (as I'm sure you read in ski's most wonderful, enlightened, and terrifical post). The 200 would do well with a bit more 'slip' to it, 'cuz it don't have the poop on the bottom a 250/300 has.

Even ski's 250! :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Sounds like it will work on your 200 or a 220 if you are riding slow technical terrain like you described above. I think you will get a lot of slipping on long steep hills. Also, a modded KDX with pipe, reeds, airbox lid removal, RB mods, should do pretty well with one. I know a lot of folks who run one on their KTM 200's with no problems, so a modded KDX should do fine. I am going to call Gary at EFM and ask his opinion on the matter. It may be a biased opinion, but he seem like a honest guy who would give you the feedback you are looking for. I will let you know what I find out. I am in the same boat. I really want one, but am not 100% my 220 will make it work effectively.
'
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

Rode a yz250 a few weeks back with a rekluse, wow, makes riding so much easier! 500 bucks is a lot of money though.. :(

how does the process work? You pull your clutch and send it to them? Are the insturctions for the install online somewhere?
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Talked to Garry at EFM and he said it works great on the KDX. He said for the tight technical stuff it works wonders. I think I am going to get one as soon as my tax returns are done.
'
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Like I've said; it's the single greatest mod I've ever done to a dirtbike and I would trade all the other upgrades put together for the autoclutch.
I hate to recommend anything that cost $500. Just cause I like it doesn't mean you will. Then you will blame me and I will feel bad. Well, until I have a beer anyway.

Get it. If you don't like it, I'll buy your bike off you for $1000. Now how about that for a guarantee.
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ski, got a quick EFM question. How high do you think the engagement will go? The rules I race under in karting have allowed MX shifter motors for next year. I was thinking about putting a 125 together, or even better a KTM 200 (there is a 210cc limit for reed motors), and was curious as to how much adjustment the clutch has. We race on dirt ovals, and generally run extremenely high clutch engagements...Of course that's with a single speed setup....Point being I'd rather not shift as there is enough other stuff going on. The benefits of the MX motor vs exotic karting motors from a cost-effectiveness standpoint is huge.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't know. Ask Garry. My guess is that it can be set to any RPM engagement if you can find the right spring washers that give you the tension you want.

I don't know how it could be done, but if it were possible to just dial it in with a screwdriver or a cable remote to the bars, that would be ultimate.
I set mine to engage at about 1000 rpm or maybe 1500 or so. I don't know, I don't put a tach on it. I just feel it. Ride it, if it doesn't engage soon enough, stick in a couple more washers and go.
Jerry

rick albert

THANKS

Post by rick albert »

thanks guys for ALL the info.......i'll be getting back to ya :wink:
JUST RIDE !!!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Not to throw for a loop, but I did hear that Revloc lowered their prices significantly on some of their autoclutches. For my XR400 the price was $950, but is now $500. I remember a few years ago, everyone really like the Revloc, but have not heard of them lately, probably because of the better price on the EFM. I know the Revloc replaces you stock clutch basket, so you can keep you stock or resell it. There is also no shims, just a slap it in and go. I will give them a call today to get a price on one for the KDX and let you know.
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm looking at this for info for another 200.

What happened to the 'get back'? This thread is incomplete without one.

Rick?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!