How long does pre-mix last?

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

How long does pre-mix last?

Post by DirtDaddy »

Just read something in the owners manual about pre-mix that I hadn't heard before. To quote, "The lubricative quality of this mixture deteriorates rapidly; use a fresh mixture for each day of operation." So how long after mixing is it OK to use? Can any chemists or oil experts educate me a bit as to what happens to the oil? BTW, I will be using AMSOIL Interceptor @ 40:1. Thanks.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've run Mobil 1 mx2t up to a year an a half old and had no problems at all
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

When in doubt put it in your car and buy new.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

I have a boat with twin 200 Merc outboards that i premix (100 gallons "not fun") Some of it sits all winter 6 months, never had a problem. Or with any of my other premix motors over the years.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A modern oil, especially synth of great quality, will last indefinantly. The gas, however, will get old and loose it's octane a bit. I would not recommend using past 6 months.

I'm not a chemist, but I play one on KDXRider.net
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
GS

Post by GS »

I wouldn't dump old pre-mix in my car......not with a Catalytic converter? Am I missing something here?

If it's 6-8 months old, I use it, but PREFER to toss in some fresh stuff at the same time.

Never had any problem with PRE-mix old gas, as opposed to straight old gas....which has given me lots of trouble here and there.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I run it in the John Deere. As mentioned pump-gas/synthetic for the bike I'll run in the bike months later. I run race gas in my karts with castor oil, and that stuff doesn't last for diddle.....At least to make be feel comfortable running it in a 16k RPM exotic 100cc engine....Not to mention giving up a bit of HP due to octane loss isn't an option here.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

use a gas stabilizer
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

re: use a gas stabilizer

Don't need to (IMHO)

I think the oil does the same thing

I premix all my gas in cans at the house, to save confusion about whats mixed and what isn't. So I run premix in my lawnmower. My lawnmower sits all winter with the same ol gas in it and every spring it starts right up and runs fine. I've had it for eight years and still running the original plug. Been running premix in it for 6 years

When my KDX sat for a year and a half, it started in about 12 kicks and ran just as good as it always did
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Thanks for all of your input. It sounds like this really isn't a big issue. I'm hoping the KDX won't ever be idle for more than a month without being ridden anyway! Just curious why Kawi would state that in the manual. FYI, I received a reply from an AMSOIL tech rep on this subject, and he said that the oil would not be a problem, but that he wouldn't recommend the gas sitting around for more than a month. He did not elaborate on why.
alistair

Post by alistair »

>|<>QBB<
DirtDaddy wrote: Just curious why Kawi would state that in the manual..
im just guessing here,but as the kdx hasnt been changed since 95,the manual probaly hasnt..but the oil technology has improved. OR its just covering their own :butthead:
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php