Grease!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
motorider200

Grease!!!

Post by motorider200 »

Hey everybody I was just wondering what kind of grease you guys use for linkage bearings. The last time I regreased everything I used black axle grease. Oh and does anybody have a good way to clean the old grease out?

BTW great site!! :supz:
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I have been using Mystik Marine Grease. It availalable at most auto parts stores. (Around here anyway) It holds up to high temps well. For cleaning I use mineral spirits. The mineral spirits are not as harsh to work with as gasoline or some solvents. Small course hair acid brushes work great for cleaning in tight spots.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome to the site!

I have used Bel-Ray grease for a few years. It seems to do a good job. When I clean the linkage, I use kerosene and an old toothbrush. Just letting it soak in a little tub of kerosene loosens it up well and the toothbrush does most of the work. If it is nasty, I might use spray Gumout. I try to use it on just metal, not rubber parts. It is pretty strong. I make sure the bearings are clean and dry before using the grease.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I just put in a new spring on the shock on the DR and had the linkage apart.
I repacked the bearings with some Hydrotex I bought off of 'Carvr

Its the stickiest stuff I've ever seen, more like bubble gum than grease! :rolleyes:
Now all my tools and everything else it came in contact with has little sticky purple strings of hydrotex
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

The Hydotex sounds like a good grease. Where can I buy some?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Thanks for the replies I will probably just get some of the belray stuff because I can get it at my local shop.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

dave04kdx wrote:The Hydotex sounds like a good grease. Where can I buy some?
I didn't check the link from Inda...but Hydrotex is the name of the company. The grease is Hydrosyn-70.

I first tried it when my brother-in-law gave me a tube (damaged...wouldn't fit in a gun..he's a diesel mech..doesn't have time to spoon the stuff out). Then it was called 'Parasyn-70'.

It is the only grease I've used that gives some life to the shock bearing. I had greased the suspension as often as 4x/year to see what it would take to not have to replace that bearing every time. Until I used Hydrosyn, I never found that interval.

FamerJ and I split a case of it awhile back. He knows of a dealer in his area. I doubt you will find it in any one-each parts stores.

Even in a case lot it was something like $10 a tube. It IS pretty clingy stuff. If it was easy to wipe off, wouldn't you wonder how it was going to stay where it was supposed to?

If you want any numbers off the tube let me know.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Hi Carvr

Any numbers or more info for the grease would be great.

Thanks

David