Progress on my 92 200 with pics - finished for now

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

R in the BR means resistor. If your manual doesn't call for a resistor plug then it doesn't matter which one you get. If you run close to other bikes, I would buy the resistor plug though. You might have some pissed off riders with you when their bikes start cutting out. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Is kerosene pretty safe to use on everything that I want to clean up on the bike? I really want to get everything wiped down and degreased and get rid of all my sludge.

Once I drain my tank should I rinse it out with some kerosene? Is the exhaust safe to clean with kerosene?

I noticed that the wiring on my bike has been kind of hacked up since the regulator has been cut and I can't find the wires that go to the headlight or taillight. I looked on the microfiche but I don't see a wire harness. I have the wiring diagram but I need the actual wires to be there. Any ideas?
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Cturbo

Post by Cturbo »

kdxquebec:
There is no Porsche in the photos! That's a Toyota!
1992 KDX 200
2004 KLX 110
2006 SMR 510
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
jeopardy98 wrote:Is kerosene pretty safe to use on everything that I want to clean up on the bike? I really want to get everything wiped down and degreased and get rid of all my sludge.

Once I drain my tank should I rinse it out with some kerosene? Is the exhaust safe to clean with kerosene? . . .
You should be able to use kerosene, contact cleaner, carb cleaner for most of the metal things. Kerosene is great to soak things in like your chain or engine parts, contact cleaner to finish gasket/mating surfaces. Keep all of these away from rubber/polymer type stuff (besides the obvious fuel lines and such). That's how I do it anyway.

Assuming "tank" is the gas tank - why not just use straight gas? It's actually a better solvent than kerosene and that's what's in there any 'ole ways. Let it set for a little, slosh it around a little, then dispose of in accordance with any and all regulatory compliance agencies :wink:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

>|<>QBB<
Cturbo wrote:kdxquebec:
There is no Porsche in the photos! That's a Toyota!
Yes, you are correct. I had to go back and look for what you were talking about.

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:>|<>QBB<
jeopardy98 wrote:Is kerosene pretty safe to use on everything that I want to clean up on the bike? I really want to get everything wiped down and degreased and get rid of all my sludge.

Once I drain my tank should I rinse it out with some kerosene? Is the exhaust safe to clean with kerosene? . . .
You should be able to use kerosene, contact cleaner, carb cleaner for most of the metal things. Kerosene is great to soak things in like your chain or engine parts, contact cleaner to finish gasket/mating surfaces. Keep all of these away from rubber/polymer type stuff (besides the obvious fuel lines and such). That's how I do it anyway.

Assuming "tank" is the gas tank - why not just use straight gas? It's actually a better solvent than kerosene and that's what's in there any 'ole ways. Let it set for a little, slosh it around a little, then dispose of in accordance with any and all regulatory compliance agencies :wink:
Awesome, thanks for the response. I've heard that oven cleaner is good for the exhaust. Is this true? Do I soak it down and then let it get good an hot by running it? I really would rather clean it up while it is off the bike. I also picked up some repacking material because I can see the splooge coming out the back of the silencer.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
jeopardy98 wrote:The manual calls for a B9ES plug so I don't know what the BR is all about.
Yeah I know what the manual calls for

It aint right, it run ok but it'll end up fouling somewhere down the line. But run whatever you want, I'm done here.... :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I wasn't being a smart ass. I've seen countless people say to consult the manual and I thought I was doing the right thing by doing that. I meant no harm and the response you quoted was in reference to the question about a BR*ES vs. B*ES, not about your suggesting I run the 8. I actually changed my order to be two B8ES's as soon as I read your response so I did appreciate the information.

I find it hard to believe that some people get bent out of shape so easily. Hopefully the rest of the members here will still be willing to help me through this project.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just read his sig line and all will become clear.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

ahh, seems I'm quite the dolt. :shock:

So back on track. What's the best way to clean the inside of the pipe and silencer?
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Cturbo

Post by Cturbo »

Use the oven cleaner but don't heat it by running the engine. Heating is a good idea but it is better to use a torch. I didn't use heat on mine, that's why it still have carbon in it.
1992 KDX 200
2004 KLX 110
2006 SMR 510
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

A torch, see, I hadn't thought about that. I'll be getting some more work done on her this Sunday so I'll update you all as the questions come to me.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Definitely don't run the engine w/ a pipe that still has oven cleaner in it. A piped 2-stroke will suck back in from the pipe and you don't want to oven-clean your running cylinder. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Update:

I checked the engine for compression before I pulled the top end apart today and got a solid 140. I pulled the head and cylinder and ran into some problems but overall a pretty successful day. MOST things looked to be in GREAT shape so I think the guy may have actually rebuilt the top end like he claimed. The piston had very little carbon on the top and the cylinder nor piston appeared to have any noticeable scoring.

I also pulled the rear wheel and started to replace the rear shock with the one I got off of ebay but I ran out of time.

So on to the pictures...

Head

Cylinder before removing

This next set is a three part series entitled "What's Wrong With These Pictures?"

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

and here she is as she sits waiting for my next chance to do some more:

So as you should have figured out from the pictures both of my exhaust valves are broken. One much worse then the other. I'm brand new to all of this but from what I have read that would mean that my KIPS wasn't even operating at all. Is that correct?

Overalli, it was a good day. I learned a bit more about my bike and got a few steps closer to having her back together.

:mrgreen:
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Yep, now you know what everyone is talking about with the early engine power valve problem.

This is why "de-carbon" means a lot. This type of P/V system should be taken a part and cleaned regularly (in the old days that was called a tune up on a 2 stroke and should be done at least every season)

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You got it... toast! :sad:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

At least the idler gear wasn't broken. So I should just be able to replace the two valves and clean all the rest, right? Is there any ill effects I should be looking for in the top end as a result of the broken valves?

Also, I don't think my main rod even has an oil seal on it so that might be part of why I had all that gunk on my right engine case.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You get it fixed... I don't think you will have any issues with it again as long as you run good oil in it and watch it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

This is a nice teardown!

Why did you removed this? What was your method?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

What do you mean? Are you talking about the rubber boot or the nut itself? I removed the nut by holding the shaft in with one hand and then I set the wrench close to the frame so that I could pull the bike towards me as I pushed on the wrench. It worked like a charm. If you are talking about the rubber boot then I just popped it off.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

I am talking about the nut. This is one of the most critical nut on your bike.

The shaft needs to be supported with a visegrip when you remove the nut. (left hand threads)You can broke parts inside the right side cover if not.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.