Helmet communication systems

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Helmet communication systems

Post by firffighter »

I am looking at different brands and set ups for a helmet communication system. With 3 young boys to ride with, it would be great to be able to give them instruction while we ride, and to give them heads up when obstacles are coming up or terrain changes.

I dont want to spend a ton of money on a high-tech system like the chatterbox. I found a set of Midland radios complete with helmet headsets for $90. They are 26 mile range and come with battery charges.

I am not too concerned about range as I always keep my kids within sight while we ride.

I was thinking I could put the radios in their camelbacks and we would be set.

I could get two pairs and have a set up for all 4 of us for $180.

Any advice or experiences out there on helmet communication systems?
'
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

I recently purchased these for just such a situation. they even came with the headsets.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1831572944

also keep in mind that the "lofty" aka BS claims of 26 miles is just that.

All radios like these are limited by buildings, trees, etc...

These radios are great and have the same range as all other types available to the public.

I am working out how to best helmet mount them.
==05 KDX220R==
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've yet to hear of any radio 'hands-free' (VOX) setup that works. Bikes are too loud for it to work.

It's not a helmet system, but any GMRS radio clipped and zip-tied to a chest protector is somewhat useful. The 'somewhat' part 'cuz it's not easy to hear until you stop riding..and sometimes not until you stop your bike. Forget much (if any) PTT action while riding. The other end will hear nothing but noise, and you won't hear any reply..which is almost always, 'WHAT??'

I've had about as good a luck knowing where Wibby is from hearing his cursing diatribe wafting through the trees as I have hearing anything on the radio. That might be different if he charged his battries once in awhile.

Speaking of which, I choose something that will run AA bats over the rechargeables. Any recharge unit is still going to run 1.2V a cell vs? 1.5V for alkaline/lithium. Once a rechargeable says it's running low..it's already quit. Yes, they may be cheaper to operate...but what's your choice? Having a radio that is more likely to work when you need it??...or one that doesn't cost you as much to recharge the (worthless) batteries?

I've gone years with a radio..and lost three within a couple months.

All Things Considered...a worthwhile thing to do.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Not cheap, but I use my flight helmet with a handheld radio. I can be easily heard over the background whopwhopwhop of the helicopter blade. I also have some noise canceling headsets with throat mics that work pretty darn well with VOX too, just not outfitted to a dirtbike helmet either. Not that they couldn't, just that I haven't tried. It would take someone else to do theirs too.

BTW, since when is a kid gonna listen to you anyway? Especially one that is on a dirt bike!! Ha!!
How to race car drivers communicate with their pit crews?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Look into throat mics. Some radios will allow you to plug those in. They work off vibrations and won't have the wind noise problem that CC described. They are used a lot by high-speed low-drag type personnel. Let me know what you come with. I am wanting to do the same thing.

http://www.rei.com/product/726055

http://www.ixradio.com/throat_mic.htm

http://rap4.com/paintball/os/tactical-g ... 3_100.html
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

In doing some research, I have heard that the throat mics are very sensitive to wind noise. The Midland radios that I have looked at come with a 1 piece earpiece/mic. The mic can be adjusted to go farther or closer to your mouth.

According to a buddy who uses this set up, there is some wind noise, but with a full face helmet, it is reduced. He also mentioned that at slower trail speeds, communication is fine, but when you hit an open section the wind noise and bike noise is hard to overcome.

But, since I will be using it with my boys, wind and bike noise from high speeds shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think it would be a very useful tool to help them to become better riders.

BTW, my kids ALWAYS listen to me! :roll:
'
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

I use some Motorola Talkabout radios with the Motocomm headsets. Works great as the Motocomm has a push to talk button that goes on your index finger to reduce noise problems. I put the radio on my chest protector or in my hydro pack.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... c_ev=click
2000 KDX 220
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

This thread got me to thinking. Sometimes when I almost crash I will let loose a string of obscenities. I may need a model with some kind of a built in profanity filter.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

What a great thread! Thanks guys! I am in need of a radio setup to help with my kids too. I try to keep them in sight, but it is possible that the lead kid could take a wrong turn and get separated from us...not good.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:This thread got me to thinking. Sometimes when I almost crash I will let loose a string of obscenities. I may need a model with some kind of a built in profanity filter.
I used to ride street bikes with a bunch of guys outside NYC when I lived down that way. These guys all had helmet communication systems, so I got one too. While out with a newbie one night we were out by Dutchess County Airport and this new guy took off like a shot on this straightaway. It was dark, and we knew there was no way he was going to make the turn at the end. Sure enough we hear sounds of distress, then sounds of impact, and finally sounds of pain. This was accompanied by sparks and the headlight pointing in every direction but straight. It was pretty comical...at least it was when we found him to be OK. His bike was hammered, and he wasn't walking too good, but nothing too serious.
I tried using the communicators on the snowmobiles, but tossed them after a while. When my helmet is on the only thing I want to hear is the engine running and wind whistling by. I could see how they would be useful when riding with your kids though.
Joe
'01 KDX200
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Yeah, for just communicating with the kids, I think the radios would work fine since we aren't going at a high speed, and we are rarely out of line of sight.

I think the Midland's I found that come with a pair of radios and a pair of headsets for $90 is the best deal I can find.
I found some lower end Midland radios for $25 a pair, and you can get a pair of Midland headsets that are over the ear with boom mics and Push to talk for $19. That gives you a helmet communication system for $45! I might try the cheap system to see if it works, and if it isnt effective, then I can definitely use them elk hunting.
'
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Remember that the ignition systems on 2 strokes are not shielded, and that can really interfere with radio systems. My radios would only work at idle. If you throttled the engine there was enough noise that you couldn't hear what was being said. The new Snowmobile helmet comminucators work well with 2 strokes from what I'm told. I haven't used them myself, but some of the guys I used to ride with use them, and are happy.
Joe
'01 KDX200
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
JoeR wrote:Remember that the ignition systems on 2 strokes are not shielded, and that can really interfere with radio systems. My radios would only work at idle. If you throttled the engine there was enough noise that you couldn't hear what was being said. The new Snowmobile helmet comminucators work well with 2 strokes from what I'm told. I haven't used them myself, but some of the guys I used to ride with use them, and are happy.
Joe
I've seen this in magaznes, called a SnoFone:
http://www.collettcommunicators.com/home_main.htm

Can you say Bluetooth? :supz:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I had not thought of the interference from the ignition. Has anyone else experienced this? I know the radios are not affected by 4 stroke boat motors.

The bluetooth system looks pretty nice, but a little too pricey for me.
'
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

Hey one other thought on this is that if you use a helmet cam system with stereo inputs you can splice the comm system audio into the second channel on the recorder's audio. Kind of neat as you can catch some of your kids thoughts on tape. It can always be edited out but kind of nice to have. I use the Helmetcamera.com system on a Cannon camcorder with the comm setup I mentioned above in the email trail.
2000 KDX 220