FINALLY!!!...

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

FINALLY!!!...

Post by DirtDaddy »

...got a KDX! Actually it's for my son, but I'm sure he'll let me ride it every now and then!
Anyway, it's a new 2006 200. It will be my son's first bike. He is 15, 5'11" 185 lbs. and has been riding a 400ex quad for three years and has been riding my KLX400 for a little while now. The KDX sounds like a great bike for "us" and the type of riding we will be doing, trails, some rocky stuff (Moab) and possibly starting to ride some enduros together. I have been searching and reading lots of posts, but I can't find anything specific to the 2006 model and am hoping that someone can show me a link to my topics or even provide an answer. My questions for now are:

1. What weight of rider is the stock suspension set up for and can you give me some sag, compression and rebound settings to start with?
2. We will be leaving the engine stock for now, does the carb need to be re-jetted? Our riding elevation will be 1-4,000 ft.
3. I seem to recall reading that some pre-mixes were preferred as they seemed to work better in the KDX, run cleaner and not carbon up the insides. Any suggestions?
I'm sure I will have more questions later, but this will get us riding. Thanks in advance for your help and for a great informative site! :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Amsoil or Motul are about the best full synthetic non-gumming oils out there. Personally I prefer the Amsoil Interceptor because it was designed for this purpose specifically.

The 2006 model is exactly the same as the 1995 model. The only thing that has changed is the Bold New Graphics. To Ma Kaw's credit... she did get the motor right! Nothing to change there.... but she could have updated the suspension and frame along with her other lines....

The front suspension is good for 135#.... a spring swap will be in order. For 185# I would suggest .40 springs. These can be supplied by many vendors. It all depends on what you are willing to spend, but the mid 90's model Honda XR400 fork springs are highly desirable and are .40 springs. Many have done the KX fork swap so it's possible a member may have some springs for you cheap.

Jetting..... that's a must! here is a good tutorial on jetting ....
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156

Oh.... and Welcome if I already didn't welcome you to the site! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Thanks for the reply! It looks like fork springs are a must do, and I use Amsoil in my other bikes. I know they are good products.
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

I bought a new 2006 KDX 200 as well. Great bike...like said earlier, the front fork springs gotta' go, but the rear shock is fine for his weight and experience. Read the manual for suspension setup/balancing, or if you are having someone do the fork springs they can help you set it up. Grease the rear suspension linkage, swingarm and steering bearings before riding, trust me! The chain will stretch and you'll be replacing with a better one soon. Some Dunlop 756's are a great all around replacement choice when you round off your stockers. Toss the airbox lid before jetting cuz you'll get more air which is a cheap and needed mod. A fmf pipe will add allot of bang for the buck, most guys do this immediately, and once again, don't jet until that's done. I'm sold on Yamaha 2R premix at 40:1, good stuff. After each ride, with the bike on a crate, bleed the air out of the forks by loosening the screw on the top of the forks. This bike has perhaps the greatest reliability reputation of any 2S ever built.

Enjoy!
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Good info. Thank you! Can't wait to get it dialed in.