riding/bike setup priorities

Got questions? We got answers....
midlifemoto

riding/bike setup priorities

Post by midlifemoto »

Been thinking allot about mods lately and decided to get RB'd...but I just wanted to pass on some advice to novice riders...I would rate power mods last on the list after proper suspension setup, TIRES (one of the most important items), proper riding technique and physical conditioning, maintenance and lastly, once your skill level increases then by all means make that thing bark!

I'm 46 and just got back into riding after a 20 year hiatus. I raced motocross in my teens and early 20's and did pretty well. But after entering the Washougal Hangover Scramble on New Years day, I realized my conditioning sucks and I'm way out of shape. I finished mid pack in my race and the clay mud was so deep and slippery it turned into a survival race. But my bike was setup great and performed much better than I could ride. I'm going to ride more and get in shape and get the RB mods and enjoy this stuff while I still can. This is a great site with lot's of great folks and advice. Looking forward to chatting with more of you. Have fun and be safe!
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Absolutely! The large majority of riders have WAY more power than they can handle. But...that doesn't keep them from thinking BHP is THE answer..and 6th gear speeds over 80mph is what they need.

You've got years of great riding ahead of you!

Have fun, indeed!!!

Ever ride S. OR? Be looking for a heads-up for a green get-together down this-a-way this spring. Some guys MUCH older'n you (from down Placerville way) think they'll be limping their ancient arses up here for a few days of fun.

Have to wait for the weather to suit their sunny CA dispositions..it'll be awhile..but it will happen!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

haven't been down there to ride...but count me in please!

Since I got back into it this past summer I've hit Eddieville and Starvation Ridge, Longview, Browns Camp area and Washougal. Bought a creampuff 1978 RM 250 to start EVO racing at Woodland and Washhougal. Gonna' spend a few days at China Hat in April...then in the heat and dust of summer I pretty much ride my Harley or salmon fish the Columbia.....

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

By the time Prospect opens (4th of July) it's already on the edge of dusty, but it's fun anyway. Fire season closes everything else around here..and that varies from mid-May to end of July.

With a bit of luck, I'll rememmer to send you a PM or something when a date is coming up!

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

ok, thanks...and if you've never done Eddieville it's a must...check this out

http://www.overthebarsgang.com/eddieville.html

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore