RB carb/head mod-final question b4 taking plunge

Got questions? We got answers....
midlifemoto

RB carb/head mod-final question b4 taking plunge

Post by midlifemoto »

re: my 06 KDX 200...as stated, it has stage 1 perf upgrade, pipe, jetting and air bix lid removed.....it really runs great...and although the RB changes are overwhelming stated as positive, i've concluded that it is more the exception than the rule that it bolts back on turn key. Sounds fairly fickle and tempermental to get right. My thing is, I have no experience knowing what behaviors require jetting needs, air screw, pilot screw, etc. I get aggravated easy with this kind of stuff and don't want to spend 1/2 the riding season fighting this especially since, as stated, I don't know WTF I'm doing. Thoughts? thanks!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

You sound like me midlifemoto. I can build pretty much anything, but when it comes to properly jetting a bike you can forget it. I have tried over the years and usually get it more screwed up than when I started.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It will come back 'turnkey' if that means, 'Will it run?' Nothing done jetting-wise by someone else in a shop is likely going to be perfect. Heck, another rider...a jetting geru even...could ride your bike WHERE you ride it, jet it to suit him (her/it/them?), and it STILL wouldn't be right. For you.

No reason to spend 1/2 the riding season messing with it. It's not that picky a thing.

But...considering the situation...you might REconsider. Any bike will benefit from a good tuning..including one with RB's modifications. If you don't want to mess with it...then don't. This point of view:
..it really runs great..
is much preferable to hearing
I just put on my RB'd carb and head..now my bike won't start and if it does start it doesn't run and if it does run it doesn't run for diddle and why on earth did I ever mess with it anyway???
Your bike will benefit hugely from the changes..and there are a good number of riders on this board that will help you sort out anything that needs sorting.

Not being snotty or anything...but if I was Mr. Black (I'm not)..and I knew what I was starting with...I wouldn't touch your carb. I could do well without the grief. Lucky for all of us, Mr. Black is a very much nicer guy than am I. :neutral:

Good luck!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

thanks for the perspective.....i've never been a patient person, prefer instant gratification...but that's a weakness of mine...i'll "Just Do It" and deal with it...i'm sure I won't regret it
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've got the carb and head done on my 220. It ran fine before, runs better now.

The best bang for MY buck have been in suspension work. Suspension holds me back, not the motor performance, so far.

I had no trouble getting it to run just fine with the jets and suggested settings I recieved. I suppose it could run "better". One thing I don't want to do is get too caught up in trying to tune my motor to the highest level of performance possible. I used to have to do that every saturday morning with one of my sportscars.

I "tune" my suspension just about every ride. Depending on weather and conditions, one or two clicks either way may be called for.

I think what you may be hearing is that optimal performance is achievable. Once you get a taste of what a little tuning will do for you, you just got to keep on tweeking.

Like I said, the carb and head worked just fine as recieved.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

i agree on the suspension...had the heavier fork and shock springs installed and set up nicely balanced for me...absolutely the most important mod to make imho...and yes, I will be happy i'm sure with the rb mods....I love the crisp, clean responsiveness I currently have but crave more power...I just don't want to spend too much time chasing bogs, or worse, melting my motor due to my ingnorance and inexperience with tuning a carb

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm sure my bike could run better, too. I don't spend 1/2 the season (or 1/2 a ride) messing with any of it either... anymore. There's a lot to be said for the 'Shut up and ride!' point of view.

Fret less...have fun more! How 'bout that?
:wink:

Your bike's not going to melt. Well...having assumed a thing or two anyway! Don't tell Ron you ride at 8,000'el. and then put on a paddle and go to the beach...and DO remember to put 'yer 2-smoke oil in the gas!! :grin:

Might be a good idea to get a new clamp for the carb-to-reed fit. Maybe that bubba-rand that's been on there is getting a tad loosey?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RB carb/head mod-final question b4 taking plunge

Post by RBD »

>|<>QBB<
midlifemoto wrote:re: my 06 KDX 200...as stated, it has stage 1 perf upgrade, pipe, jetting and air bix lid removed.....it really runs great...and although the RB changes are overwhelming stated as positive, i've concluded that it is more the exception than the rule that it bolts back on turn key. Sounds fairly fickle and tempermental to get right. My thing is, I have no experience knowing what behaviors require jetting needs, air screw, pilot screw, etc. I get aggravated easy with this kind of stuff and don't want to spend 1/2 the riding season fighting this especially since, as stated, I don't know WTF I'm doing. Thoughts? thanks!
Hi Mike,

Well now, this is certainly not the way to start off a project. After reading your e-mails to me and the posts that you have posted on the kdxrider board, I do not think you are a good candidate for these mods.

It sounds like you already have the bike running just the way you want it, so why would you want to change it?

Thank you,
Ron
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Deja Vu?? Two treads on the same thing from the same guy, right?

Man, my head hurts. I'm going home. :rolleyes:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

yeah, weird wild stuff eh? i screwed up, reposted it to the appropriate forum but started getting replies at both...should have deleted it, if that's possible

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore