Floppy kickstand: Ideas on keeping it secure?

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Floppy kickstand: Ideas on keeping it secure?

Post by firffighter »

I have the typical floppy kickstand disease and am wondering if any of you have solved the problem by securing it to frame/swingarm/sidepanel/etc.?

I am thinking of welding on small spring to the end of the kickstand and attaching (hooking) the end of the spring to the hole on the chain/snail adjuster. When riding, it is secured (hooked) to the chain adjuster, and when you need the kickstand simply unhook the spring from chain adjuster. What do ya think? Any other solutions?
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Don't laugh now . . . but I use a cheap (cloth) dog collar that I flip between the swingarm and the rear sprocket just in front of the axle to draw the floppy kickstand into the swingarm. I had to punch a hole in the collar at the appropriate spot so that the kickstand was fairly tight up against the swingarm and I trimmed off the extra length. After replacing the kickstand once with the problem returning . . . I just gave up. I've had no issues with this "fix" over the past 500 miles or so. It's probably only one step above Virginia chrome . . . but then I live in Kentucky. :-)

Cheers!
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
GS

Post by GS »

Virginia chrome? :neutral: Wazzat?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I gave up and took mine off.

First I got a stouter spring, tried a strap to the swingarm, redrilled and put a larger bolt in the pivot, etc.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How 'bout some metal wizard on this site make a decent aluminium stand that will hold to up at least moderate dirtbike use? Make the actual leg replaceable so if you pretzel it, you could fix it.

I'd buy one!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I just put a new bolt on mine

Works much better
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My brother and I have always been able to midevally manipulate the stand into working order. It seems the hole get's wallowed out which can be welded up and redrilled. The U mount get's bent out and needs pounded back together. The stop gets worn and needs a good weld put on it. Other than that... no issues keeping the stock stand functioning correctly. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

The problem with mine is that the frame mount has been worn down below the hole where the bolt goes through. So, it is nice and tight to the U mount on top, but too much slop below the bolt. I managed to wedge a rubber washer in there, but it wont last. I still think a spring cut in 2 then welded to the base of the kickstand so that you could attach the other end to the hole in the chain aduster would work. I think I'll give it a try
'