Asterisk vs. Pod knee brace

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

Asterisk vs. Pod knee brace

Post by SteveWR450f »

Made this thread about 2 months ago. After getting everyones feedback, for Xmas I got the asterisk brace. Really nice brace, good packaging and documentation. However, I could not get the braces to fit well around my calf on the bottom strap. After wearing them around the house a few times, one of the many strings used to tighen them ripped out. Would have been a very easy repair but decided to return them.

Then ordered the pod brace. Packaging not as nice but fit was better. Also, it uses the common 4 velcro straps that most knee braces use. I think the straps will hold up much better than the asterisk setup.

The biggest criticism I read about the pod brace was that the knee cup would rub against your knee. At least on my knee, that did not occur.

Overall, I would recommend both products. My best advice, if you can, try to find a dealer with both and see what fits best. I wish I had that as a possibility but Rocky Mtn was very good about the return.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For Christmas??

Who measured them for you?

(as you know I'm sure) You can get different sizes for the top/bottom based on leg measurement. If the calf section didn't fit..the measurement was wrong.

FTR at this point, but I've found the Asterisk people to be excellent in their care of me as a customer. They've sent parts I needed a number of times at no cost. I asked for a couple of string locks once..they sent a pack of about 100 of 'em.

One of the laces ripping out is completely bogus. Obvously, the things are supposed to support your leg under some extreme forces..and the product giving way just walking around is completely unsatisfactory!!

If that happened to me, I wouldn't use Cells on a bet!!!

But...I have used mine for YEARS...and there has been no such equipment failure. Yes, mine have broken, but that's 'cuz I broke them. Things like having a chip out of the carbon of the brace itself..but I'd expect that, the brace having come between my bike and a rock. Didn't hurt my leg, though, and that is the point.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Asterisk. I sure hope their product hasn't gotten crummy in the past years.

Oh...you say '..one of the many strings...' Curious about that. There should be one on the top, one on the bottom. What's the 'many' part? Did one of the eyelets give? If there are 'many' strings...something is considerably different.

These are Asterisk Cells, right?

**edit**
I sent this link to Asterisk support. I'd like to know what's up.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Yep, Asterisk Cells. On the back of the brace it used gromlets (sp?) for all the eye holes for the string except 4 holes. 2 on top and 2 on bottom. It was one of the holes on the top that tore.

As far as fit is concerned. I measured twice and girlfriend also checked measurements. I am kinda freak of nature. Unfortunately, I am all legs and little upper body. I played soccer, snow ski raced and swam up until college. I have a pretty large calf muscle for my size. Its was the upper calf brace that was super tight. But if I moved up to the next size, everything else was too big.

But . . . it would have been a very easy repair to get the stitching reinforced but I just did not like the fit for me.

Not really trying to diss on the Cells. More than anything just want to say the Pods are not too bad and the best way to go is try both.

Steve
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Not really trying to...'

I didn't take it that way.

Still...I think your leg should've turned black and blue and fallen off due to the constriction of the brace before anything ripped out. Remember these braces, while not intended for..and not advertised to accomplish...are supposed to help you from bending your knee backwards. Well...forward actually. :wink: The construction of the brace should be stronger than a couple of MCLs, and ACL, and a knee joint.

Haven't heard anything from Asterisk. Frankly...that irritates me. They used to be much better. Maybe things are different from when they were handing out two-digit customer numbers..... :cry:

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Update:

Heard from Asterisk. Holidays and getting some sick time delayed the response.
Karen at Asterisk wrote:I honestly don’t know what that forum is all about, but it did bum me out when I read through it. Although 99% of the time we are able to take care of most everyone who calls in with problems with our braces, unfortunately there’s that 1%.

Unfortunately, I/we could have totally helped him out by sending new laces, if that’s what he needed but furthermore if he would have called in we could have pin-point what the problem was and go from there. As you very well know, we are VERY laid back here and rarely ever charge for parts. The thing is that if you don’t call, how are we to know there was a problem… y’know? Sounds like he needed bigger liners on the braces…which we totally could have done for him…it’s not an uncommon thing that we’ve done for people who have bigger legs, but their knee measurements are sized for whichever size brace they measured for.
These are good people. My thinking was..maybe they'd made some recent changes that your failure reflected poorly upon.

I'm not beating a dead horse here. It's useful to know who stands behind their stuff and who doesn't. Asterisk will if they have the opportunity.

I looked at my braces..at the spots you had failures. I don't know how that could happen. The webbing is riveted to the frame at that point. Gott'a be them p'werful laigs 'a yours!! :wink:

SOME sort of knee protection is a wise choice..and it's good that you got some!

Cheers!

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Thanks for the effort and info, carvr . . . I'm quickly approaching my "back in the saddle" date and I'm leaning towards the Asterisks.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Tell 'Karen' you expect yours to WORK...and if they don't, Guido will be making a house call!!!

Totally, dood!~! :supz:

Consider the source

SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

FYI - all of the laces uses rivets except four holes - two top and two both - that used fabric instead. The lace actually cut the fabric hole. Again, would have been an easy fix to reinforce but that caused me to try the Pods.

So far I like the pods - you know, walking around in the house looking like a dork. Did go snow skiing with them and they did not bug me too much.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep. I got the 'four holes' part. My webs at that spot (new braces are different, she said) had fabric loops, but reinforced with a plastic that rivets to the brace.

Consider the source