Scott's-weld on mount

Got questions? We got answers....
Mountainman650

Scott's-weld on mount

Post by Mountainman650 »

First off how many guys are using the Scott's steering damper on thier
KDX's, and how do you like them??
I have a 94' KDX 250 , and was thinking of a Scott's.The only mount
listed on their website for my bike is a weld on mount.
I was wondering how much of a hassle it was to mount up??
Any info is much appreciated..
Thanks
Dave
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

We have bastard bikes. No one really makes parts for our bikes. I know that alot of the parts are left over late 80s KX parts. Our moters are from 88 KXs. Should say so on the bottom end. Did you replace the butter soft front end already? I put heavier springs in mine. I would start there first. You cann't polish a turd sprung for like a 120lb kid.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Mountainman650

Post by Mountainman650 »

Yeah , tell me about it.I'm in the proccess of a rebuild. My rod seized on the crank.Of course any other bike has a drop in crank/rod assembly available. :roll: Not this bike, I have to get a rod kit and have the rod,and crank sent to a machine shop to get the whole thing trued up to match :neutral:
The bikes actually been sitting in my garage for a while, I'm just getting around to rebuilding it.It's in need of all the bearings replaced, and new tire's and such, so I was thinking of a steering Damper, while I was at it.??
I know everybody say's dampers are the best thing since sliced bread. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Anyone have one on one of these bike's ,and how do you like it??
I know the front end is "soft", when I first got the bike I had the local shop do the fork seals for me , and the mech said he stiffened it up a bit for my size(240lbs).. It was better , but could still use some stiffer springs
for sure. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Which rate springs did you use?I hear guys say the XR 400 front springs will fit the KDX, but thats probaly on the 200/220's. Not sure on the stock USD forks on the KDX250's??..
carlito

Post by carlito »

a small company named BPR had a bar mount for my 02 kdx 220 to instal a scott damper.have no complaints of the scott unit.have a WER unit on my 98 kdx 200.WER model mounts on front fender and is much cheaper but less affective on the trial.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I am also on the larger size, about 250. I used .42s I think. I bought them from someone over on TT. He cut KX springs down to fit. Most bikes on here are 200 and 220s. We have to find springs else where. Race-tech doesn't make our length of spring any more. Neither does Eibach. He probably raised the fork oil level to stiffen the action for your size. I would try to find a KX front end if you are mechanicly inclined or find KX springs and cut them down. THe KX front end will have compression and rebound adjustment.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think you are really better off swapping the frontend for a KX'r. Cutting down springs raises the rate of the spring.... how much? Don't know.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mountainman650

Post by Mountainman650 »

What year KX front end would work/fit the best on my 94' KDX 250??