WARPED

Got questions? We got answers....
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

WARPED

Post by treelimb »

rims that is,not necessarily me nor other KDX riders although i assume most are.
But anyway-
Due to where/how/? that i ride, my rims are continuously getting warped/dented.Other than a rubber hammer,can anyone suggest a more proper way of straightening them? I am not having issues w/loose spokes but the dented rims are starting to effect my bike's ride on flat/smooth surfaces which is about 2.5 miles worth each way,to the woods that i cut loose in. The front is ridiculous.
As always,I APPRECIATE the input from each and everyone of you guys.
thanks in advance.
treelimb
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Warped and dented? :blink:
what tire pressure and type of terrain are you running? (just curious)
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Excel rims...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I have had excellent results using a hydraulic press in removing all kinds of flat spots from rims. With a little trial and error (for the amount of pressure beyond what is needed for a straight line as the material "bounces back") and you can't even tell they were ever bent. Hammers have never worked for me. I built my own, but you can get cheap ones at harbor freight. A press is so handy for engine work, triple clamp stems etc.. well worth the cost IMO. Just use a bottle jack to suit the rating of the press frame. I use a piece of flat heavy steel plate to support the rim underneath and just come down on the other side with the jack point buffered with a piece of hardwood. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it smooth. The front rim on my KX looked like it was made by Fred Flintstone with about 8 mondo flat spots on each side, but now it looks like new.

I've bent plenty of rims too, BTW - comes with riding hard where rocks live or following in the dust. :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Excel rims...
Got 'em, and still get dents. :rolleyes: We sneak into my friends house and use his 2 ton press to push them back.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't worry about 'em

can only feel a wobble above 60mph, and we don't ride like that but once or twice a year
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS