Coolant Return Tank

Got questions? We got answers....
N4TRBL

Coolant Return Tank

Post by N4TRBL »

I have a question about the KDX coolant return tank,Is it really necessary??I realize its there for reliability but I'm setting up my 1990 KDX 200 for Northern California Hare Scrambles and was wondering if any of you folks have removed yours.

I currently race Scrambles with my CR 250 and I never overheat during a race,We really don't have much tight woods racing in this region.

Any Info is appreciated
1996 CR 250R

1990 KDX 200 (92' KX 500 Suspension Front & Rear Wheels,Brakes,Swingarm,Triples,Seat,Tank and Shrouds)

1982 Yamaha IT 465 stump puller.

1991 Suzuki RMX 250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

YES!
It's there, keep it, fluid will expand when warm (even when not overheating), where will it go if you remove the overflow? Most importantly, once the coolant is gone, you will run with less cooling efficiency, IMHO bad idea.
my .02 cents
wilf
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I took mine off. 2004 KDX220. I race eastern Hare Scrambles. I used to overheat almost any time I got caught in a bottleneck during a race. I took the bottle off and replaced the radiator cap with one from a KX500. The cap was marked 1.9 on the top. Remember, the bottle obstructs much of the air flow around that radiator. Since I took it off I've raced about 8 races, even in the summer. Its never overheated again.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I believe the 220 has more overheating / cooling issue than the 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Cooling in the two bikes (200/220) is not the same...the 220 does indeed have cooling 'issues', the 200 does not. That a general statement referring to 'H' models.

That has no bearing on a 1990 KDX, however.

My question: 'Why?'

As stated, reliability is at question, so why take it off?

Is your res under the rear fender? I don't know when that changed in the 'E' series. Yeah...could go look it up...but I don't wanna.

A 1.9 cap? :shock: Yeow! Just 'cuz it fits don't make it right. If you drain all the coolant OUT it will never LEAK..is that a good plan?

Call it 'input'..maybe not 'info'...but, keep it on.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

FWIW the coolant return tank provides a means of capturing coolant loss when the coolant system pressure is above that for which the cap is rated. All liquids expand upon heating but most expand VERY little. A 50/50 ethylene glycol / water mixture would expand about 1% for every 40F of temperature increase, so maybe 2-3% expansion? The air gap below the cap probably covers that . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

They put it there for a reason IMHO. What are the benefits of taking it off? :hmm:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Ondatrail wrote:They put it there for a reason IMHO. What are the benefits of taking it off? :hmm:
It's been said:
Remember, the bottle obstructs much of the air flow around that radiator.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>|<>QBB<
Ondatrail wrote:They put it there for a reason IMHO. What are the benefits of taking it off? :hmm:
It's been said:
Remember, the bottle obstructs much of the air flow around that radiator.
:oops: missed that :roll: . If thats the case why can't you mount it somewhere else? Still don't think It makes that much difference but the closest thing I come to a dessert here is a sandbox :lol:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
carlito

Post by carlito »

It is ok to remove 95 and up catch bottles.Install 1.6 rad cap. Mix 50%glycol/50%water and WATERWETTER Motor will run 20% cooler.Will be good for all but extreme conditions
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

When I built my hybrid I used the kdx 200 rads with no expansion bottle.Irace enduro and hnh and never overheat or lose any water.