GEARING

Got questions? We got answers....
FRYSPEED

GEARING

Post by FRYSPEED »

Thinking about a small gearing change.Currently running 13/49 thinking about 1 tooth more on rear 13/50 or would I be better off at 12/46.My thinking is the rear sprocket and chain will be a bit further off the ground in the ruts on enduros.Make sense or not.By the way its a 98 KX with a 90 kdx motor used for competing enduro and hnh.What does anyone else run?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I wouldn't worry about the chain clearance...

And IMO 1 tooth on the rear is not substantial enough to even warrant spending the new cash for another sprocket - I went from 12/47 then to 12/48 on my next set, couldn't tell a difference.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Agreed, fwiw, in both instances...one tooth isn't going to make much difference, and clearance one way t'other isn't either. You would have chain guide problems before you had sprocket problems.

If you're tuning for a specific RPM in a particular spot, trackwise, one tooth may matter. For general riding (enduros, hare scrambles and such), I doubt it.

I run 12/47. Riding is largely single track with interconnecting fire roads. Still can run speeds in excess of 70mph with that gearing..and that's plenty fast enough for me.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I run 12/47 also. I figure if your not using at least 5 of 6 gears your gearing is to tall. I run this in enduros, tight, technical single track.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days