Seat Height

Got questions? We got answers....
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Seat Height

Post by blimpman »

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :supz:

I am a new owner of a KDX220R. I am 5'9" and have an inseam of 30".

My KLR650 has a tall seat but I can manage fairly easily. I can put the balls of my feet on the ground or flat foot one foot with the other on the peg.

With the KDX it feels about 1-2 inches higher. I can just tippy toe each foot while on the seat. I plan on riding this bike in HS and Enduros next spring and summer. I am pretty sure I need to lower the seat height somehow.

What would everyone suggest if I did this? Lowering links, cut the seat, rear shock adjust? Lower the front shocks in the triple clamps?

I know I have to get used to this bike by just riding it for awhile and I won't change anything just yet. Not being able to set my feet down more securely when I need to is a little daunting based on the offroad riding experience I have over the years.
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

yes you in need of just riding the bike, I am 5'5" and had a tall seat on my KDX.

I could only get one foot on the ground and the other was always 12" or so off the ground.

I suffered the same, I came off a 15 year break and thought I had to have both feet touch so I found a nice duel sport bike. DR 650 it sat great after some off road riding on it my memory came back. I ended up on a KDX and the OEM seat was way soft gives a guy a bad case of monkey butt.

If you feel you need to have both feet on touching the ground for to have a confident feeling of security then lower the bike with a link and internal fork mods.

My advise is to buy Shane Watts Dirt Wize video and use some of his tips to gain complete control of your bike off road, and for gods sake or I should say your sake! GET SOME BIGGER FOOT PEGS ON THAT BIKE!!
those skinny things are like walking on a tight rope.

confidence will keep you rolling and on the bike, If your feet are on the ground you're going to slow. Don't give me the technical climbing when its off camber like to dab the foot excuse.

Watch some enduro videos and this is what you will see every time the feet leave the Pegs the rider looses control of the bike, the wheels loose traction, the suspension stops working the rider ends up off the bike.

If your 6'3"long legged, 225+lbs of muscle and in your 20's and can push a 525 sitting on the seat up hill with your legs.

PLEASE DISREGARD EVERY THING ABOVE!!!!
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

>|<>QBB<
krazyinski wrote:
My advise is to buy Shane Watts Dirt Wize video and use some of his tips to gain complete control of your bike off road, and for gods sake or I should say your sake! GET SOME BIGGER FOOT PEGS ON THAT BIKE!!
those skinny things are like walking on a tight rope.
Thanks for the advice!

I have Shane's video and agree that practicing those techniques will go a long way to riding better. I also have the bigger pegs I think, ( on when I bought it) and I also have the stiffer XR400 springs in the forks. The bike was set up pretty well when I bought it. I think I just need some time off from work and some decent weather to go ride. Anyone have pictures of ( or a link to) the big footpegs to compare to the ones I have?
Brian
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Try raising the forks slightly in the triples - At 165 lbs, I used to run the stock forks with 38 springs (with only 1/2" preload) about 3/8" up in the triples (not counting the cap) - up till when the head just begins to barely shake in rough straights - you'll be turning easier too. Also, the bike (springs and seat) will settle down some with a few dozen hours of ride time also - enough to make a very noticable difference IMO. The KDX is one of the lowest off-road bikes I've owned. Unless you weigh 175 or more the rear spring is too stiff. You need to go to a 4.8 - the bike will handle so much better in choppy stuff and you'll sit a little lower also.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You're better off NOT learning a bad habit...and if you make the ground within easy reach, that's a bad habit you'll most certainly pick up.

I run Devol's long pull rods. They dropped the seat height by a fraction of an inch. That was enough to be able to start the bike after a stall and have a good enough angle to take off. If you're short enough to be in the 'donut' position with one leg on the ground..that's difficult to deal with.

Get some seat time..that's the largest advantage you have to not get into the dabbing habit.

Besides, that's how things get broken....things like legs, knees, all sorts of lower extremities.

Keep this old saw in mind: 'More gas will save you 90% of the time. Brakes will save you 5% of the time. The other 5%? You're toast anyway.'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Keep this old saw in mind: 'More gas will save you 90% of the time. Brakes will save you 5% of the time. The other 5%? You're toast anyway.'
Love it! :mrgreen:
Brian
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Try shaving the seat foam down a little.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
urnuts

Same here

Post by urnuts »

Just got back in after 25 years- picked up a new leftover 200.
The combination of seat height and lack of experience (or ANY memory, apparently) isn't too pleasant.
I bought a new DR650 last year because the XL650 (which I wanted) was REALLY high- I mean really high.
When the Honda dealer told me he could lower the bike- I looked at him and said "You know, I don't have much of an ego, and wish I was a bit taller, but I'm OK with it, I just don't know if what little bit of ego I have will allow me to have the dealer LOWER my off-road bike!"
Ended up with the DR.
I'll stumble through a season with the KDX. I picked it up this past fall- only used it a few times- just enough to make me realize I'm old, fat, out of shape and out of my mind.
On a mildly related topic, I did notice that the shorter kick starter looks as though it would be nice to have. I remember that the height of it made starting the bike difficult if I was not able to get my left foot securely on the ground- seemed like a shorter lever would have made that easier. I almost had to put the stand down and keep my left foot on the peg while I used my right to kick the bike..... that make any sense?
Yup, I must be out of my mind!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I guess being short all my life even back when I had my CR500 1986-87 I think :? I had to find a lean to, in order to start and take off, it never bothered me.

After a bad High speed desert crash in the SoCal desert, not mine, but my room mates. I stopped all that foolishness and took up surfing, after 15years of that, a wife and three kids, me standing in my drive washing my car thinking back to days gone by, remembering saying as I was going riding one day " if all I had to do is wash my car on the weekends I will Kill my self" of course that not being an option , I left one morning on a diaper run and came back with a motorcycle. (DR650 cause I could touch the ground) of course after a long break from riding no mater how tall or short , you will be touching allot of ground, some trees, grass and rocks.
give it a year of steady riding and you will be fine.

ya! it all went over like a turd in a punchbowl with the wife.
urnuts

Funny post-

Post by urnuts »

>|<>QBB<
krazyinski wrote:I guess being short all my life even back when I had my CR500 1986-87 I think :? I had to find a lean to, in order to start and take off, it never bothered me.

After a bad High speed desert crash in the SoCal desert, not mine, but my room mates. I stopped all that foolishness and took up surfing, after 15years of that, a wife and three kids, me standing in my drive washing my car thinking back to days gone by, remembering saying as I was going riding one day " if all I had to do is wash my car on the weekends I will Kill my self" of course that not being an option , I left one morning on a diaper run and came back with a motorcycle. (DR650 cause I could touch the ground) of course after a long break from riding no mater how tall or short , you will be touching allot of ground, some trees, grass and rocks.
give it a year of steady riding and you will be fine.

ya! it all went over like a turd in a punchbowl with the wife.
We're all the same, I think. Someone asked what the hell I am doing riding dirtbikes again (I'm 42); I said I have no idea, but when I look out over that front fender, I'm 17 again. I guess that's my answer.
I go very easy- bad back, bad shoulders, 6 pins in my left knee- not out to
impress anybody- and though I'm single with no kids, I can't afford to start breaking fingers- or anything!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

when people don't understand why you ride dirt bike (or any bike with a engine for that matter) it's cuz
a: they are wimps and can't handle it :mrgreen:
b: have lots of misconception about riding (it's dangerous, blah blah blah...) to me it's not any more dangerous than hunting, rock climbing or playing football or even sitting on your couch WATCHING football beeing overweight and fat!
Riding is healthy for my soul and body, keep me sane and balanced. It's all about the fun of the ride: wind in my hair, mud on my face and bugs in my teeth :mrgreen: + hanging out with your riding buddies/familly is priceless. (oh and the trash talking too :lol: )
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

Looking out over the front fender.... Fun at any age and at any speed. I ride for my own well being. It's a sure cure for what ails ya. :mrgreen:
Brian
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230