Almost getting my butt whooped by Junior.

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Almost getting my butt whooped by Junior.

Post by jc7622 »

I was out riding yesterday with my oldest kid. He is 11 and rides a KX65. He's getting pretty quick, but out on the trail I can usually pass him at will and pull away because I am on a bigger and faster bike - or so I thought.

Yesterday he wanted to practice some starts. We found a long smooth straight of about 300yds do some some starts and drag racing. There were a couple times he kind of outrun me. The times I did beat him it was not by much. I would let him say go and get the jump and then I could just barely catch him and pass him. What the heck is going on here?

Does this sound right? Are the KDX's that mild mannered? How much extra oomph can I get out of doing the "usual" KDX mods?

Granted I weigh about 230 and he weighs 75 and my KDX's motor is totally stock, but he was almost whipping my butt. I've got to do something about this.
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

I'd say RB head and carb mod but when I drag raced my son who had just had the mods done, head to head rolling start, we were so close at the 1/8th mile I was sure my KDX had the mods! I've got about 10 lbs on him so I was surprised we were so close. That was the day I decided that I would skip those mods.

It wasn't till later that I discovered that those mods work better on the trail so...

I just picked up the parts from Ron last week. Putting them in today or tomorrow. I've seen where the mods work and I can really use them now that I have more experience! Wonderful bottom end and an expanded top end.

It was the FMF woods pipe he put on that really made the "I'm faster that you are" difference.

Good Luck and remember...you have to let them win once in a while or they'll take their ball and go home!

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
GS

Post by GS »

My kid on a 03 KX125 is right beside me after 300 yards and I'm riding balls-out on a nice 01 KTM 300exc.

I soon STOPPED giving him a slight rolling head start .....after the first results were known :neutral:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Reeds and getting the jetting sorted will give the best oomph factor

Riding the KDX (IMHO) is not about speed anyway

Being able to pull a hill in 3rd with the motor just barely chugging along sounding like it's gonna bog and stall and giving it a little more throttle and instead of bogging worse it just keeps chugging along

That my friend is what riding an RB'd KDX is all about! :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GS

Post by GS »

Nothing I've ever ridden chugs along like my 220 and I don't get lured into drag races with it, cause that's not what it does. :wink:
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:Nothing I've ever ridden chugs along like my 220 and I don't get lured into drag races with it, cause that's not what it does. :wink:
Maybe not but you get two of the same bikes together side by side (hell two of anything side by side) and you got a drag race!

No that ain't what there for but they can do it...
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
GS

Post by GS »

How true!!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Check out this video:

That is pretty much my oldest kid. They even look the same. He is always talking smack to my riding buddies about who is fastest. It is only going to get worse as he gets older and faster. Like someone mentioned above I am all for letting the kids win every once in a while, but I've got to get my licks in while I can and teach the boy some humility.
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

Riot!

Love the vid jc7622

Wibbens is right though.. the RB mods are about never being short on power in the hills and techinical parts.
==05 KDX220R==
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Get a KX250 and an insurance policy. Or else rejet the kid's bike a little so you have the advantage. Ha!!

Face it, you are getting old and the kid is gonna be mopping the floor with you soon..
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Turn his air screw.... :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Being able to pull a hill in 3rd with the motor just barely chugging along sounding like it's gonna bog and stall and giving it a little more throttle and instead of bogging worse it just keeps chugging along
No, you downshift and drop the hammer! :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The fact that the little KX has a small displacement doesn't mean a whole lot. Pound for pound, that 65 with your son on it probably has more hp per lb (considering the TOTAL weight) than you on a STOCK KDX. Just do the math. The right mods will make some difference, but fact is your comparing apples to oranges.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Jeb,

Are you calling me fat? What's with the apple and orange comment? Are you saying my physique is round like an orange with arms and legs? I have been on the south beach diet for about a week. It was quite an eye opener when I discovered that 80% of my diet was carbs and sugar.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

JC, I think I know your problem.... It's occuring right between the handlebars and the seat - I tell ya, Ondatrail has the same issue :lol:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

CANT BEAT SIMPLE PHYSICS :kick: .

I am in training on a KX 250 the first of my major competition is only 6 and on a 50 ! but that wont last long !! I will be ready for him.

maybe?
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:Jeb,

Are you calling me fat? What's with the apple and orange comment? Are you saying my physique is round like an orange with arms and legs? I have been on the south beach diet for about a week. It was quite an eye opener when I discovered that 80% of my diet was carbs and sugar.
Why, no sir!! 'Be like the pot calling the kettle black if I did that!

That little KX has 13-14 horsepower, no kidding, and it weighs about 120 w/ fluids. Let's say your youngster weighs 75lb - that's about .070 hp/lb. Assuming that a stock 220 has about 25 horsepower, you would end up with .072 hp/lb . . . if you and your gear were about 115lb!!

All is not lost, though. With all of the good mods - intake/carb/head/pipe you'll gain 6-8hp (somewhat of a guess but yes, the mods make that kind of difference). Different kind of power delivery, though, but that's another story.

But you bring up an outstanding point. Let's say you weigh 210lb. With the stock bike you're at .056 hp/lb. If you lose 35lbs, you're at .060 hp/lb, the same as if you added 2hp.

So between weight loss and a few mods you'll at least be able to keep up with him!!

BTW the numbers I quoted weren't intended to provide ultra-accurate accounts as much as comparison examples.

My kiddo can MOVE on his little RM so I know how you feel . . .

'course I have some weight to loose!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
dirt kid

Post by dirt kid »

Sad, but I cant touch my dad on his YZ250. :mad: He's nearly 50!
Sadly, it definetly isn't my bike's fault either. My CR is smokin'! :twisted:
04 KDX200, bone stock
06 RM250
03 KX125, KDX hybrid in the making.
I don't adjust valves if I can help it.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:JC, I think I know your problem.... It's occuring right between the handlebars and the seat - I tell ya, Ondatrail has the same issue :lol:
I'll tell your problem it's between your big toe and hip :lol:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

dirtkid wrote:
Sad, but I cant touch my dad on his YZ250. He's nearly 50!
Sadly, it definetly isn't my bike's fault either. My CR is smokin'!

I can outrun my kid on the trails. It was the drag races on the long straight where he was nearly outrunning me. A few more power upgrades and a few less second helpings and I will be good to go.