Shock rubbing on swingarm??

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Shock rubbing on swingarm??

Post by wanaride »

I am wrapping up the maintenance on the swingarm and rocker arm bearings. While tightening up the swingarm bolt I noticed that the shock spring is rubbing against the swingarm; if you are sitting in place of the rear wheel and look towards the front wheel, the lower right side of the shock is contacting the swingarm.

I don't remember this happening before, but things definitely look crooked back there. Has anyone ever encountered this? Everything looks like it went back together OK, but this is new to me.

I guess I could unload the rear spring and rotate it, but that is a hassle and I've never had to do it before. I need a reality check before I go any further.

Thanks!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

got any pics?
is the swing arm and bearing re-assembled?
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Wow, I must be a freaking moron. Everyone else can post pics in the forum but me. Oh well, here is a hyperlink to a picture in the gallery that shows what I'm talking about
http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... .sized.jpg

And another one...
http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... .sized.jpg

This is not the first time I've done this maintenance, but this is definitely the first time that I have noticed the shock spring rubbing on the swingarm.

Everything is back together and torqued properly. I sure as hell don't want to take it apart AGAIN to twist that shock around, and my guess is it won't help anyway.

What in the hell am I missing???

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Never mind...I took the swingarm off, sanded down the area in question, and things seem OK now. Based on the rubbed area on the swingarm, I guess it has been doing that for a while. Should be fixed now.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS