Pipe repair

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Be carefull about planning on welding it back up if you choose to drill holes and pull dents. Pipes are not easy to weld unless you have access to a TIG welder. I'm a pretty good welder. I weldeda braket back onto a pipe once. I ended up chasing a hole all over the place with my MIG welder. Very thin material and all the oil inside does not help.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Be carefull about planning on welding it back up if you choose to drill holes and pull dents. Pipes are not easy to weld unless you have access to a TIG welder. I'm a pretty good welder. I weldeda braket back onto a pipe once. I ended up chasing a hole all over the place with my MIG welder. Very thin material and all the oil inside does not help.
I glad you pointed these things out Karl . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Be carefull about planning on welding it back up if you choose to drill holes and pull dents. Pipes are not easy to weld unless you have access to a TIG welder. I'm a pretty good welder. I weldeda braket back onto a pipe once. I ended up chasing a hole all over the place with my MIG welder. Very thin material and all the oil inside does not help.
I know what you mean, I made a pipe for my last bike, too much of a PITA to be worth the slight gain :roll:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

anybody knows if they also repair tweaked pipe?
By that I mean it doesn't fit at all. when I removed it 2 month ago, it was really hard to remove.
Later I realised the lower mount was broke, the upper one was bent and the pipe was rubbing the gas tank.
The crash was so hard on the pipe, it hit the head and cylinder (see pics) I am now conviced the pipe also hit the kips rod and weakened the actuator leading to the trashed clutch basket later that day :hmm: .
I have 2 big dents on the engine side of the pipe, and the left lower radiator mount was also bent. :roll:
I tried to bent it back into shape but so far the ony good thing I've done is to make it worse :mad:

Here is a pic of where the pipe hit the head, cylinder and rub on the gas tank

Nevermind I'll shoot them an email tomorrow to see if they can fix it or not
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If it wasn't for not fitting, those dents would be irrelevant.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

yeha the dents don't really worry me at all, it's more about the fittment or lack thereof :?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ball-Peen!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Took a while, but I fixed my pipe tonight. Here's how you can do it on a budget:

1. You'll need:
-two rubber plugs, each one fitted to each side
-Hose clamps
-automotive tire valve stem(extra long)
-aluminum foil tape
-epoxy
-silicone sealant
-cork bore
-Acedylene torch (or MAPP torch)
-air compressor

First off this method just takes out dents and will not help if your pipe is tweeked. Second it's kinda dangerous as the plug shot out like a potato cannon 3 times when I did it. Alright enough disclaimers :roll: , first you try the cork bores until you find a tight fit on the tire stem. After boring out a hole on the large plug, mix up the epoxy and spread it on the bottom side edge of the plug's hole. Push the tire valve in and allow to dry. Then fill the top with the sealant (see pics), keeping the valve clean and allow that to dry.
Now your ready to handle that pipe. Clean the inside and outide of the pipe where the plugs will be. Put the plugs in and tape them up with the alumminum foil tape (I don't think any other tape will work here, duct tape just melted). Then put the hose clamps on, almost like a carburetor boot.
Now for heat and air. Heat the dent; working the opposite way that it formed, or the outside edge first. Acedylene kicked a$$, faster and easier but it is more risky as you could overkill and meltn a hole easier. Then add the air, I used 25-30 psi but be weary because pressure builds up suprisingly with the heat and your homemade plug becomes a projectile (so don't be in that direction :partyman: ). Hammer the edge as it pops out. You'll notice that some dents take you a long time while others blow up like a balloon.
Now that you got that stinger in close to spanking new condition put a pipe guard on for gosh sakes!!! :supz:

Epoxied bottom

Top cavity was filled with the sealant
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Lets see the pipe
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It really does look better, sure don't help him keep up in them trees though :lol:

Onda, gotta go RB next!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Here are the pics:
Where the dent used to be is outlined in red:
The bottom didn't come out as well, but you can definatly feel an improvement:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

kinda looks like its still beat to $hit
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Onda, you forgot to show the before picture..... This makes the after photo a little underwhelming.

It was worse wibs, I swear!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Better get a pipe guard on that thing
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))