Brake Pads - GG or HH?

Got questions? We got answers....
tony_d123

Brake Pads - GG or HH?

Post by tony_d123 »

I need to replace my front brake pads on my KDX220 and have the option of GG or HH pads.

I was thinking that the GG are softer so would bed in quicker, grip better, but wear quicker. I am thinking that harder sintered pads will wear the already thin disk more quickly.

Are there any brake pad experts on here and what do they recommend?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

what's GG and HH???
I use tusk sintered pads for the wet, they work great... IN THE WET. If you use them in dry condition they won't last very long.
Same for dry condition, if you use them in wet (meaning mud not rain) they will last about 2 miles (at least where I ride) and be toast.
I forgot to switch my brand new DRY pads one time and rode in mud...they lasted about 5 miles :shock:
Check rockymountain, tusk pads they are cheap and work good.
I wouldn't worry too much about wearing out the disk. Mine was 5 years old and is slightly grooved on the edge but nothing too bad.
Wilf
tony_d123

Post by tony_d123 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:what's GG and HH???
Wilf
Thats how they seem to grade them here GG = softer, HH = Harder. Maybe its just a European thing?
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

The GG rated pads are semi-Metallic and carbon organic pads ,they offer great longevity while limiting rotor wear.

The hh rated pads are sintered metal and ceramic composition allows for the ultimate friction. These pads also have a longer life span than most other pads because of the high metallic content. These HH pads are rougher on rotor surfaces.

I know your question is not ''what pads do you use'' but...

I use sintered metal pads in all condition and they last OK I think.

Do you will buy your pads at the local dealer? What brand they want to sell you?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
tony_d123

Post by tony_d123 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxquebec wrote:Do you buy your pads at the local dealer? What brand they want to sell you?
I tend to buy my spares online or mail order, there are no decent local dealers around here to pick their brains.

Thanks for the explanation of GG & HH. The majority of the pads on sale here in the UK tend to be HH type from EBC, DP & Gold Fren. I do not ride often and I am not a heavy front braker so wear rate is not a big issue, but I read on some forums that some pads are worn out after 2 or 3 outings so HH may be the way to go.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:what's GG and HH???
I use tusk sintered pads for the wet, they work great... IN THE WET. If you use them in dry condition they won't last very long.
Same for dry condition, if you use them in wet (meaning mud not rain) they will last about 2 miles (at least where I ride) and be toast.
I forgot to switch my brand new DRY pads one time and rode in mud...they lasted about 5 miles :shock:
Check rockymountain, tusk pads they are cheap and work good.
I wouldn't worry too much about wearing out the disk. Mine was 5 years old and is slightly grooved on the edge but nothing too bad.
Wilf
You must be buying crap :?

Been at least three years since I replaced the brakes on my KDX with EBC sintered pads. We ride rain or shine, mud to dust
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GS

Post by GS »

Wibbens...would you buy another set of the same pads???

Like em that much ?? Cuz I need some before too long.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

maybe you're right Mr Wib.
I ordered the, they're like 12$ at rocky mountain. I guess you get what you pay for :?
In dry condition they last quite awhile, but if I ride in mud with the non sintered one, they're fried in 5 miles. Don't know what type of mud you ride in, but I heard the one we have down there is really abrasive on the pads (don't know if it's true or not, mud is mud after all :mrgreen:
I have to admit my rotor was quite worn out, with a lip, may contibute to the problem. I replaced the rotor with a spare KX I had laying around, we'll see how that goes.
What brand/type are you using?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Pretty sure I'm using the sintered metal pads

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/mcoffroadpads.html

I'm due for back pads

I've been using a pair of Tusk rotors for a few years now
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
alistair

Post by alistair »

i got over a 1000miles on the stock front pads
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Carbon pads melt in the wet. I think I got about 50 miles out of my last mistaken purchase.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.