Not shifting smoothly

Got questions? We got answers....
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Canyn, is this a KDX thing or a 2 stroke thing? I'm asking because the 4 stroke I owned wasn't like that. It was a DRZ400 - maybe the momentum created by it's friggin weight pushed right through the gears. It had a nice clutch though, never stiff and it never caught between gears.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's a KDX thing. Clutches are fairly similar between bikes otherwise.

Some bike clutches are activated from the INside pushing out, the KDX is activated from the OUTside pushing in. That's why you can't keep your manual clutch with the EFM autoclutch on a KDX where you can on the other configuration.

I don't know if that has anything to do with its sticky tendencies or not.

Mine has stuck since it was brandy new. Trying to push the bike when pulling the clutch lever with the bike in gear and not running is going to skid the back tire. It may break the clutch apart...or not. If it does, it's STILL hard to push.

Maybe the secondary gear ratio (thru the basket..between the crank and the tranny) on the KDX is considerably different. Don't know that, either.

My Honda doesn't release a whole lot better. Pushing that 530# anchor even in neutral is bad enough.

Your starting in-gear comments are common, too. That's how I ended up with an FRP kicker..having bent the Hi-Tech OEM alloy unit silly kicking the bike in gear. Sometimes it just ain't convenient finding (trying to) neutral!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe there is something wrong with my 220 but I dont realy have any trouble starting mine in gear. I do have to open the throtle jut a tad but it does start. I've had mine 2 1/2 years now never adjusted the clutch either. With the engine shut off and in gear the rear wheel will turn but it's harder to push. When i changed the water pump seal this summer I also noticed there were no grooves what so ever in the clutch basket and when I compare the force it takes to pull in one of those fancy hydraulic clutches on KTM bikes there realy isn't much difference with mine.

Like I said maybe I'm just lucky.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Canyn, thanks for the advice and info on the clutch. It does make me feel better about my situation because I thought it was specific to my bike. I did go ahead and change the oil today using Amsoil (expensive!) and using the entire quart as Inda mantioned. I rode it a little after the oil change, but not enough to be able to form an opinion. Will get a chance to tomorrow. Hopefully, it will help a little.
GS

Post by GS »

It may take a full ride, or more, before you will notice any difference......IF the oil changes anything at all.

It sure as heck won't hurt anything. More use never hurt anything either.

My 220 stiffens, like me, with less use. :lol:
rumble700

Not shifting smoothly

Post by rumble700 »

hey steve (or anybody that could help) i know this post is a bit old but i'm having a similar or same problem. was wondering if u got ur problem figured out. i had my 89 kdx 200 for 4 yrs or more now and shes always been like that. she didn't get any worse or better and just never pulled it yet. My clutch cables r adjusted and played with and changed my oil a few times with castrol 10w40. I always had the think the previous owner had gear saver or something in her from the dealer(pink oil). anyway i haves a hard job starting her in gear too but shifting isn't a problem. I start her in N then hit 1st sometimes she'll spin the tire a little and stalls. When i comes to a stop the motor will stall sometimes cuz the clutch drags, but if i gives her a little rev, she lets off and idles and dont try to pull ahead. i don't think it was much difference if she was hot or cold. Thanks guys in advance for any help
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Not shifting smoothly

Post by KDXGarage »

Check your clutch basket for notches.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rumble700

Re: Not shifting smoothly

Post by rumble700 »

thanks, i will when i get back.