CO Street Legal KDX220?

Got questions? We got answers....
AtomicKDX

CO Street Legal KDX220?

Post by AtomicKDX »

Hi Long time rider, but first post as my '03 KDX220 is my first Kawi. I am planning to dual-sport my KDX here in NM, but cannot title it here as street-legal. Can I do this in CO? What mods need to be done? Thanks.
urnuts

Post by urnuts »

Varies state by state. Hit up DMV or a dealer to get the regs.
For me (NH), I needed a horn, mirror, tailight mod (for brakelight) and I was good to go.
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

What type of tail light mod did you do? I wasn't sure if there is enough power out of the stator to light up a brakelight w/o seriously dimming the headlight.

>|<>QBB<
urnuts wrote:Varies state by state. Hit up DMV or a dealer to get the regs.
For me (NH), I needed a horn, mirror, tailight mod (for brakelight) and I was good to go.
urnuts

My dealer did it for me.

Post by urnuts »

There were some issues with limited power output.
He explained I could get into new stators, etc or I could deal with the headlight cutting out when the brakelight came on, or I could go with a different bulb that lowered the brightness of the tail and made the brakelight essentially as bright as the tail, if that makes any sense. I chose the last option.
For me, I only wanted the plate for legalities- I'm not running this thing on the road at night! If I were doing a legit dual-sport as some here are discussing, well that's a different game. Then I think you need to get into rewound stators and stuff that I really have no clue about- in the $200 area, I think.
Again, for me that would be a waste.
Also,(again for me) if I'm out after dark trying to get out of the woods- I want my headlight on at ALL times, not cutting out everytime I hit the brake!
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: My dealer did it for me.

Post by blimpman »

I plan on using LED brake/tail light as well as turn signals. Prolly not be a true DOT but in Ohio you don't have to have an inspection but showing receipts for conversion parts will help with the paperwork to get the body style change on the title. I think I can retrofit a white LED assembly in place of the stock filament bulb. Saves alot of watts... I am still researching these parts but there are several possibilities. BTW you would need a special flasher for the smaller LED currents on the turn signals. A guy from KTMtalk gave me this link. http://www.sicassracing.com
They have a harness for KDX bike but it is too rich for my blood.

>|<>QBB<
urnuts wrote:There were some issues with limited power output.
He explained I could get into new stators, etc or I could deal with the headlight cutting out when the brakelight came on, or I could go with a different bulb that lowered the brightness of the tail and made the brakelight essentially as bright as the tail, if that makes any sense. I chose the last option.
For me, I only wanted the plate for legalities- I'm not running this thing on the road at night! If I were doing a legit dual-sport as some here are discussing, well that's a different game. Then I think you need to get into rewound stators and stuff that I really have no clue about- in the $200 area, I think.
Also,(again for me) if I'm out after dark trying to get out of the woods- I want my headlight on at ALL times, not cutting out everytime I hit the brake!
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
AtomicKDX

Re: My dealer did it for me.

Post by AtomicKDX »

I agree with you...this is probably the route I'll take. For me, the only other ting I need is a horn and a mirror (no turn signals needed). The LED brake light idea sounds interesting.

>|<>QBB<
urnuts wrote:There were some issues with limited power output.
jack
Supporting Member

Post by jack »

Just did the conversion for my 'new' '05 220 and got my plate in NM. Any state that has a written process for conversion from off road to on road should title it for you and then you can bring that home. Colorado has a procedure but NM does not. You might need to use a resident of the state where you get the first title or just buy a drivers license there.
jack
Supporting Member

Post by jack »

Atomic, I sent you a PM with more details but not sure it went like it was supposed to. Let me know if you don't get it.
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Jack:

Got your message and PM'd you my info. Very interested...need to know details on how to do this.

AtomicKDX

>|<>QBB<
jack wrote:Atomic, I sent you a PM with more details but not sure it went like it was supposed to. Let me know if you don't get it.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Northern New Mexico. One of my favorite places. Been to Red River, Wheeler Peak, Middle Fork Lake, Toas, Taos Pueblo, Rio Grande Gorge, Rafted the Rio Grande, etc, etc. Been going there since I was a kid. One of these days I want to take my KDX.
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Hi there jc7622..one place you forgot to mention for awesome single track where a I ride: Jemez Mtns

Maybe you ought to consider bringing your KDX out for a rumble out here.

AtomicKDX

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:Northern New Mexico. One of my favorite places. Been to Red River, Wheeler Peak, Middle Fork Lake, Toas, Taos Pueblo, Rio Grande Gorge, Rafted the Rio Grande, etc, etc. Been going there since I was a kid. One of these days I want to take my KDX.
mtnrydr

The illusion of street legal

Post by mtnrydr »

Well Atomic I think you can here in CO. I bought my 05 220 last year in March from someone in Centennial. He had titled it in Arapahoe county, an urban county here in CO. He didn't give me the tag just the title. That was all I needed to bring it up here to Teller county and get a new title and tag. It has the hydraulic switch to activate the tail light. (when the headlight is turned on) So its off till I step on the footbrake. Seems ok riding around town between the trails and all over western CO on last year's Colorado 500. I'd think your hardest part would be establishing some sort of residence sufficient to title a vehicle here. Good luck.
seniorsehas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: CO Street Legal KDX220?

Post by seniorsehas »

I kept going to this post on a lot of the searches I did. As an update in 2016 here's what I had to do with my 1995 KDX 200 with no title.

Headlight, tail light with brake light, horn and left mirror are bare minimum. I put blinkers on it but not required.
Make an appointment with the Colorado State Patrol to inspect your VIN and check out the street "legalness" of the bike. They're a month out most of the time. Plan ahead.
Bill of sale stating "for off road use only." My wife was kind enough to sell this bike to me for $50.
Proof of insurance.

That's it. Good luck.