iKAT

Got questions? We got answers....
dpagekdx220

iKAT

Post by dpagekdx220 »

Has anyone tried an iKAT? It says it helps with combustion and performance. Wonder if this would help with the "spooge"

see this article

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/p ... 35,00.html
stock 2003 kdx220
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

I've heard its a gimmic but no personal expierence. $200 better spent on RB head and carb IMO.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That thing showed back up? :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dpagekdx220

Post by dpagekdx220 »

I wasn't running out to buy one, did a topic search and did not get any hits, Just curious if anyone had actual experiance.

As you can see my bike is still stock and I got it in 2003, I would like to do the common mods talked about on the board, but if did them all I think it would run close to 2k. I only ride my bike on my 12 acres with kids so I don't know that I would really benefit like the people out west that have really great places to ride. :cry: :cry: :cry:
stock 2003 kdx220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

About every 15 years or so, that thing will reappear on the market....trying to suck in more unsuspecting riders.... don't give it a second look.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dpagekdx220

Post by dpagekdx220 »

Thanks.
stock 2003 kdx220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

If you want to keep costs low consider these:

Increase your air flow (either drill some holes in the airbox lid or remove it altogther) and then dial in the jetting. For the pilot jets - 38, 40, 42. For the main jets - 140, 142, 145. For the needles - DEK, DEL. $25-$30 for everything including a few spark plugs. Do a search on how to do a wide-open throttle chop (WOT) and with a little time and room to wind that 220 out you'll end up with a better running bike.

Install some Boyesen Power Reeds (part number 607). They are dual-stage reeds meaning that you'll get a little more airflow sooner as you crack open the throttle, and with some fine tuning with the needle position it'll give you better throttle response and a little more power. $35 or thereabouts.

I don't know about the iCAT, but many tout using a BR8EG vs the stock BR8ES spark plug. I don't remember why it improves performance - something about thinner wire and a better spark. Certainly cheaper to try than the iCAT. Others use a BR8EIX which is a little more spendy but still we're talkin' < $10. Hint: use the stock plugs when you do the WOT!.

Try a 12-tooth counter-sprocket (vs 13-tooth stock). Even a Renthal is <$20, others are cheaper. At the expense of a little speed (which doesn't sound like it's a problem for you) you'll gain some pickup.

Overall, these few things will gain you a little more snap and a bigger grin.

If you want a little more high end you might benefit from retarding the timing a little. Do a search to find more details. I did this and it made a difference but I've got lots of mods. It would be interesting to hear if a stock 220 benefits similarly. Your local bike dealer can get you a flywheel puller for something like $12, and all else that is required is a little of your time and understanding on how to do this correctly.

BTW - 12 acres, a KDX220, and riding with the kids sounds like a blast to me!!
Last edited by Jeb on 10:33 pm Dec 17 2007, edited 1 time in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Riding is what you make of it. Don't be bad mouthing 12 acres like it's nothing. 12 acres in my neighborhood is going for just about 3/4 of a million dollars. Yes, that is right. 12 acres is about $750,000 if it's within, say, 5 miles of where I live. My property, 5 acres was market valued at a little more than $300,000 by my insurance adjuster for my fire claim and there's no way he was going to say it was a penny more than it is worth. Not that it matters to me; I'm not in the selling market.

Do what mods seem appropriate for your style and type of riding, then spend the rest on a tractor or crawler and turn that 12 acres into a riding mecca!!

In regards to the I-Cat; it seems so incredible that there isn't a white paper or some sort of independent test done on it printed somewhere. Sure, it's a gimmick, but why isn't there someone who's exposed it with actual testing and hard data? It has me curious. If I were filthy rich, I'd try it just to see what it can do.

Now here's a dirty little secret; I had 2 or 3 different types of steering damper/stabilizers. Scotts included. My current bike doesn't have one. I ride harder than ever and it's God's own truth; I can not detect any difference in my riding performance. I would have to say, from my personal experience, that a Scotts damper is of little to no value to anyone riding trails. I've been specifically targeting bikes out when I'm riding to see if anyone is using any type of damper. I haven't seen even one in the last 5 times out. I think that the current state of suspension performance is of such high level, that a damper is not required to track over the obstacles encountered on the trails. My opinion and all that. I'd be willing to bet that in a blind test, a rider would not be able to detect any difference in their riding experience on a bike with modern suspension and tuned to the rider and the conditions normally encountered.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
dpagekdx220

Post by dpagekdx220 »

Jeb/skipro3,

Thanks for words of encouragement/advise. Love the 12 acres, just would like to see some new scenery once and a while. I would like a wide open place, I don't think I have ever had bike in 5 or 6 gear.

Doug
stock 2003 kdx220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Make your way out west and I'll show you trails and views and guarantee it will all be new scenery. Just give me a little warning so I can dig up a ride for you.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

VA? I think that's right down Hiway 62..so you're not THAT far away from a good ride!!

I'm sure ski will dig up a trailer for your ride, too....so you can come up to the State of Jefferson for a REAL ride.

Re: 'I would have to say, from my personal experience, that a Scotts damper is of little to no value to anyone riding trails.'

You know what they say about opinions....

I've ridden with and without, too..the same bike...riding trails. The difference was considerable. Huge, even. I'm not arguing with your point of view. Why get 'stuff' just 'cuz it's 'cool'? No reason to. If you think it's nada...save your confederate reserve bank paper dollars.

Yes...that particular bike was an early 20xx model. A punkin.

The iCat seems bogus on its face. It is a wonder no one (independent testing lab) has tested the idea. No one to pay them to do it I guess.

I know getting a better spark out of an aftermarket lighting coil is the same kind of bogus. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it myself..and had others notice the difference when they had no idea what was different...or that anything WAS different.

I wouldn't buy one anyway.

Have fun!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

yea, I wasn't sure if I talked myself into thinking the Scotts was doing something or my riding was just naturally improving due to experiance gained, but now that I have another duplicate bike w/o a Scotts, and riding the same trails, I can say for sure that I can't tell any difference. I'm deliberately hitting objects as I would with the Scotts and I'm tracking straight without delections. So for now, I'll save my money on a Scotts and use it to buy an iCat!! (Not really, I will save for a trailer so when WE come up to Oregon, I will have room for multiple bikes. :supz:
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

skimoh wrote:... I will save for a trailer so when WE come up to Oregon, I will have room for multiple bikes.
THAT sounds good!!

You'll have a place to sleep when you get kicked out for hacking all night, too!

Kewl!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey! You letting me IN the house this time?!? That is Kewl!

Not that I minded having to sleep on the front porch, the cat was quite cuddly.
Jerry