Lean/Rich causing excess smoke?

Got questions? We got answers....
Steve Sims

Lean/Rich causing excess smoke?

Post by Steve Sims »

My bike seems to smoke a good amount, even for a 2 stroke. I recently rode with several 2 strokes (all brands but mostly KTMs) and noticed few smoked as much as mine. Is this a jetting issue? Am I running too rich (by that I mean too much fuel-not enough oxygen)? Everything on my bike related to exhaust, carb, and motor is stock and I am running the proper fuel mixture. 2004 220 with fairly low usage.

Thanks for advice.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How is your bike jetted? And what is the proper mixture?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Said he was stock :roll:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well Wibby...we all know stock in one part of the country isn't stock in another. So enlighten us with your wisdom Wibby instead of commenting without any added value. :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

You will have to pull your carb and see what your Pilot jet is, Main jet, Needle and Clip position. also Altitude and Temperature helps.

Check your Compression or give an idea of how long its been sense the bike has had a fresh Top end or fresh set of Reeds.

There is no one pill cures all here.

DO NOT JET USING SMOKE OR SPOOGE AS AN INDICATOR !!!!!!

READ YOU'RE PLUG!

my KDX smoked a bit more than others but the jetting was spot on the way I liked it.

To lean and it would flatten out on top so I always ran a bigger main and controlled power delivery with type of needle and clip position.

good luck these things take time and more reading.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

I need to read up on checking the jets and clip position. Hate to sound like an idiot, but I have never messed with the carb at all. By stock I mean I have never adjusted anything to do with the motor and it has never had a top end replacement. It had precious little ride time when I bought it a year ago and I haven't ridden it a whole lot and when I do, it's generally trail riding, not in race conditions.

And to clarify, when you say to lean it, you mean to cut down the fuel going into the carb, thus upping the oxygen in the combustion process (I'm thinking of lean in terms of less fuel-not less oxygen)?

Thanks
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If it's stock then it's way too rich on both the pilot and main jets unless you're riding to the top of Pike's Peak.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Fuzzy, it is stock, so would that be causing the excess smoke? I assume by rich you mean it is getting too much fuel, not enough oxygen? This would explain the smoke to me. I am at around 750 ft above MSE.
GS

Post by GS »

My 220 (1999) came stock with a 142/42/centered clip on the stock needle.

What brand of oil and what ratio are you mixing it at?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:My 220 (1999) came stock with a 142/42/centered clip on the stock needle.

What brand of oil and what ratio are you mixing it at?
Sounds like the previous owner or the shop might have done you a favor, my "stock" jetting was fatter . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
GS

Post by GS »

I'm almost 100% certain that the carb had never been opened
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:I'm almost 100% certain that the carb had never been opened
'Certainly conceivable that they changed stock jetting throughout the years - mine's an '03 - but I'm disappointed that Kawi made the change in the WRONG direction.

Easy enough to check and correct if needed . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

I am using YamiLube 16:1 (1 pint to 4 gallons). I can probably find this by searching previous threads, but is changing clips positions and jetting needles pretty easy?

Sorry I am a taker and not a giver of information. If I had any knowledge worth sharing, I would! I am learning though and hopefully can pass on to someone else what I am picking up on now.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

16:1? :shock: 16:1? :shock:

Stock is 32:1 and most run 40:1 and some 50:1
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think we found your problem... also... you need to ditch the Yamalube in favor of some Amsoil, Motul or some other full synthetic that will not gum up your powervalves.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GS

Post by GS »

One pint to 4 gallons isn't 16:1.....

Hate to openly display my ignorance of 'pints', but isn't that a little bit more like 32:1??.....safely on the rich (in oil) side, but not really excessive.

IF you were mixing at 16:1, that would be far in excess of what the motor needs ....or wants, for average-fast trail riding.

SO, Master Sims...which is it??
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

4 gallons to a pint is a ratio of 512:16 or 32:1

CLICK FOR PICS!
GS

Post by GS »

That's two votes for 32 to 1..looking for a third'er :wink:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

40:1
:butthead: :mrgreen:
GS

Post by GS »