Bought a 220! Back in the KDX gang! Let the mods begin!

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Bought a 220! Back in the KDX gang! Let the mods begin!

Post by firffighter »

Found a '97 KDX220 all stock except Procircuit pipe and silencer for $1300. Owner is 67 and bike has been sitting in his garage untouched for 5 years. He got into quads and stopped riding the KDX long ago. It still has stock tires on it and they are probably 75%! Bike started right up and runs great! Has Renthal bars and Acerbris guards as well. Very clean low hour bike. Exactly what I was looking for.

Now the mods begin. Where to start? I will probably tear it all down and put new bearing all around and put a Weisco piston in it. New tires, heavy fork springs and then the fun stuff like RB carb/head mod, reeds, etc.

Cant wait to get started.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yes to the Wiseco, good thing to do right off the bat. Heavy springs, like you say, if you're over 160-170lbs. I assume you're replacing the bearings because they're needed, if not just make sure you've got things lubed well and save that money for the RB stuff - you can about afford both the RB head and carb mods for what you would pay for all new bearings.

Jet correctly for your temperature/altitude, makes a lot difference.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

dude buy my suspension ! read the parts and bike forum. take a look with the link to my gallery and tell me what you need and I can give you prices. as I am parting out my bike.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Stock tires! :grin:

You should clean the air filter , who knows, maybe it will be his first gasoline bath :wink:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'll second the vote for a KX front end. Certainly has got to be the best modification for the money.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
kdxquebec wrote:Stock tires! :grin:

You should clean the air filter , who knows, maybe it will be his first gasoline bath :wink:
Do you clean your filters in gas? My grandpa washes everything in gas, now he doesnt have any fingernails :shock:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

wow what a great deal!
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Yeah, I am pretty excited. Going to take about $400 to just go through the bike and get it up to speed with chanin, sprockets, tires, bearing, piston, etc. After that it is all about RB and other performance mods. I also have to decide if I should keep the "totally excellent" purple seat,tank,fork boots, and graffics!

I will take a look at the KX front end, but I mostly ride 2nd and 3rd gear tight terrain, so I am not sure I want to invest the $.

BTW the ProCirciut pipe and silencer are brand new and it is a Platnum pipe. Not sure how that compares to the FMF pipes, but it seems like it is in between the Gnarly and Rev.

Cant wait to get started on it!
'
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Well, I have krazyinski's Clarke tank, Guts seat, and Works connection frame guards on the way. Now all I have to do is remove the purple graphics and fork boots.

I haven't even been able to ride the bike except in the parking lot when I bought it. I cleaned out my garage (3 kids motorcycles and wife's quad take up too much room) and now have my work space ready. I will probably get started after the holidays. Cant wait.
'