Carbon Build-up??

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

Carbon Build-up??

Post by Ondatrail »

Doing the top end because the power valves were getting ridiculous.(do I smell RB?... maybe)
What should I clean this with? I know brake cleaner works wonders but we have a parts washer so I dont know which would be better
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

what do you mean getting ridiculous? Noise wise?
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I use to always use Yamaha Combustion Chamber Cleaner until I discovered brake cleaner works just as good or maybe even better

plus its wayyy cheaper!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GS

Post by GS »

OK.....Where's the clean rag keeping misc. crap out of the lower end?

Piston-top carbon is typical, in my experience.

I used a ultra sonic parts cleaner....marginal at best. Then brake cleaner and a brass brush/toothbrush/scotchpad (use the kid's for cripes sake!) :lol:

It's a slick set of parts once you're done.

Oh ya.....don't forget to remove the packing on the right side shaft before using the cleaner(s)

And where did you say that lower end rag was? :roll:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Were you the guy who swore my Maxima 727 by chance? If not, what oil has been run in that thing?

THis thread could be a great example of what oil NOT to use.....Since there have been so many threads on oil w/ no real (pics) evidence of 'why?' I'm not going over to DRN to try and find them, but there was once a KDX'er that posted pics of a KDX tear down @ 3000miles, and it looked NEW inside. He was running Motul 800, which is what I run, but any FULL synthetic like Amsoil, etc should do. On the latter I can show you some pics of a barely carboned top-end that ran 12:1 50% castor/syn blend that looks way cleaner than your KDX cyl....However this was in a 100cc kart motor that was only loaded between 10-15k RPM. :mrgreen: Different oils for different apps....That's why they make so many.

All that being said, yours don't really look THAT bad...definitely seen a lot worse, and of course I'm not ripping on you. And finally, yes this wuold be a great time to send that head off! :supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

You owe yourself an RB'd head for Christmas. And a RB'd carb. And the Kute Kanurled Kanob for the SSS adjusteements.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Thanks guys. I run Amsoil but the first owner (I'm the third) and a little bit of the 2nd ran Belray. Ridiculous? The effort needed to finally open up the KIPS :roll: . And not to worry a rag is in there now :oops:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:You owe yourself an RB'd head for Christmas. And a RB'd carb. And the Kute Kanurled Kanob for the SSS adjusteements.
And the allen float bowl head screw :mrgreen:

I use motul 800, I pulled the cylinder (when I send the head and carb to ron) to see what it looked like, there was a bit of carbon (after 2 years of use) with jetting not spot on, but nothing too bad.
I had to check again 6 months later, and there was no carbon build up but a bit of spooge (jetting off a bit), gonna try the amsoil when my engine is back on the bike with a fresh piston.

To clean mine I use wd40, let sit/soak, wipe off, repeat then use brake cleaner, works prutty good
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The first 3 years of this particular bike's life ran at 36:1 with Bel-Ray synthetic. I ran the first 6 months with the same oil and ratio with stock jetting. After that, I switched over to AMSoil 50:1 when I joined this site, and re-jetted. Never took the bike apart. Toward the end of my ownership, the KIPS was a little sticky. Then I sold it to the Topic Creator.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Belray = :?

I wonder if the Amsoil didn't actually help clean out some of the gunk...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Cturbo

Post by Cturbo »

Mine looks a lot cleaner with Motul 800 at 50:1.
1992 KDX 200
2004 KLX 110
2006 SMR 510
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yeah the Bel-Ray seemed lousy to me. I usually Run AMSoil now but Maxima worked really well too.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Heres the after photos:
Just waiting for a gasket kit to come in :supz:
GS

Post by GS »

And when rotating/turning the actuator on the right side of the cyl EVERYTHING rotates/slides VERY freely and as it should (symmetrical) ??

Never hurts to take a good look to be certain that you have a fully functioning system and .... easier now than later :wink:
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:And when rotating/turning the actuator on the right side of the cyl EVERYTHING rotates/slides VERY freely and as it should (symmetrical) ??

Never hurts to take a good look to be certain that you have a fully functioning system and .... easier now than later :wink:
Yea it does I followed my shop manual with the gear teeth placement and applied Amsoil so it could rotate and slide smooth.
GS

Post by GS »

Lots of little pitfalls that will screw it all up, just thought how much easier it is to correct now.

Good stuff! Now you just need to get 'er running.

:wink:
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:Lots of little pitfalls that will screw it all up, just thought how much easier it is to correct now.

Good stuff! Now you just need to get 'er running.

:wink:
Just in time for snow haha :lol: